Scepter's new Pocket RSV-CE NT

I don’t know if anyone is aware of Scepter’s lovely new Pocket RSV NT:
catholicbiblesblog.com/2016/10/review-scepters-pocket-rsv-ce-nt.html?m=1

Honestly, I prefer Scepter’s reprint of the 1941 Confraternity New Testament, as it is a beautiful translation based on the Clementine Vulgate. It exposes Catholic scriptural evidence more clearly than any other, save the Knox.

+1 for the Confraternity bible

It’s Small enough to fit in your front pocket but it has a large enough font to be readable.

there is also a supplemental commentary for this translation online.
haydock1859.tripod.com/confraternity/

I haven’t seen the Pocket RSV-CE, but it does look nice. Thank you for the review mccorm45 :thumbsup:

The black leather one looks very nice. I may get one for my wife.

Incidentally, it’s interesting to read (in the comments of that blog post) that Scepter will be coming out with a new edition of the RSV-CE at some point in the future.

That’s very exciting!

I don’t, for the life of me, understand why there are probably zero truly high quality Bibles available in Catholic editions. I wonder why there isn’t a Catholic version of R.L. Allan.

OP: What about the CE do you prefer over the 2CE?

Here is the publisher link to it (posted merely for your convenience).

scepterpublishers.org/collections/new-releases/products/pocket-new-testament

Interesting find. Is that in paragraph format (like the original) or verse format?

The most obvious change would be that the 2CE disposed of the archaic thee and thou and equivalent verb changes. Otherwise, I believe they would be pretty similar.

The RSV one even more easily fits in your pocket and as Tim noted yes has a rather readable font and is single column. Has a very nice cover too.

It retains the paragraph format, with verse numbers in the margin. The print is good-sized for normal eyes. I have had to resort to reading glasses in reading it. The only negative is that the vinyl covers tend to curl. Even bonded leather would be an improvement.

Long ago, the Catholic Book Publishing Company printed a compact (3.5" X 5.5") edition of the 1941 Confraternity New Testament with gilt-edged pages. I was able to find an excellent 1952 copy on eBay for almost nothing. It is my favorite of all the pocket-sized NTs.

I tried to upload a picture of mine (Scepter RSV red) from a different angle but I could not figure out how…

Thanks for the info mccorm. :slight_smile: I think I’ll buy one; I just can’t decide between the red one and the black one. I’ve never had a red bible, but I’ve always thought they looked nice, so I’ll probably go that way.

I don’t know why publishers seem to favor those “soft” covers. :confused: I just sent back a leather bound version of the Ignatius Study Bible with those, since I would much prefer a true hardback, even if the covers aren’t genuine leather. I got the hardback version now, which in my view is far sturdier and better made (IMHO.) On a small Bible, the soft covers do not seem as objectionable (although I would still prefer a true hardback, in leather if possible.)

Glad they kept the paragraph format in the new rendition of the 1941 Confraternity NT.

I am also a collector of pocket size Bibles. :smiley: I have an RSV CE, D/R by CTS, The New English Bible (also by CTS) as well as some old D/R ones, like a VERY small 1840 Irish bible by Simms & McIntyre, and an even smaller 1812 KJV by Sauer of Baltimore. :slight_smile:

As to pocket-sized, I have the1952 Confraternity (“Illustrated”), the Scepter re-print, a 1946 KJV, which is 2-3/4" by 4-1/4" (The two column format allows only about three words per line!), and a 1977 vinyl-covered KJV which travelled around the US with me. I also found a “compact” sized 1941-dated Confraternity NT which I have had hard-bound.

Indeed, what is wrong with hardbacks in pocket-sized?

Hardbacks do not work well in the* pocket.*…

I have a small hard back RSV from the mid 20th century - but since it hardback it does not go well in ones pants pocket…only in say a jacket pocket.

Thus this splendid little RSV is great.

Your 1946 KJV is the winner! My two smallest complete Bibles are both 5-1/4" x 3-1/4" The 1812 KJV is thinner @ 1-1/4" but of course it has no apocrypha. The Irish Bible is 1-5/8" thick including Challoner’s notes and other material. But it also has more readable type. The KJV is in Diamond Point, in fact the first American Diamond Point Bible ever printed. It is leather bound, gilt decorated and all edges gilt. My other modern pocket size complete bibles are all a bit larger, although the RSV-CE is a very handy size, small and thin, with good paper and print quality. It’s my favorite pocket size Bible. My favorite bible right now is the hard back version of the Ignatius Study Bible (NT) Not at all compact though.

What size is the compact 1941 Confraternity NT?

Think we have gotten off the topic.

My preference is RSV-CE, so I may check it out.

The tiny KJV was one of my mom’s. And, for a well catechized Catholic, it is a very good NT to rely on. It’s language is somewhat more stilted than the Douay-Rheims, but still readable. For actual readability and faithfulness to the Clementine Vulgate, the 1941-1969 Confraternity is awfully hard to beat. I do not know of any pocket-sized Knox translations.

As to the “compact” Confraternity, it measures 5-1/8" by 7-3/4" almost the size of the Revised English Bible (a fave for daily reading).

Oh! I almost forgot my paperback 1965 Confraternity pocket-sized. Also by Catholic Book Publishing Company, it is 3-1/2" by 5-1/8" and about 7/8" thick.

I like the red one…it is a nice red.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.