Schedule of events for Trump's inauguration

[LIST]
*]Thursday, January 19
*]10:35 am - Performances begin at Lincoln Memorial. “Voices of the People,” the first act of a day-long public concert, will feature groups such as the DC Fire Department Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, the Republican Hindu Coalition, high school marching bands, choirs and baton twirlers.
*]3:30 pm to 4 pm - Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence participate in a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery in honor of the nation’s veterans.
*]4 pm to 6 pm - Trump will deliver remarks during the second act of the concert at Lincoln Memorial, dubbed the “Make America Great Again! Welcome Celebration.” The event, broadcast live nationally, will be headlined by country stars Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood and feature a fireworks finale.
*]Trump is expected to spend Thursday night at Blair House, the presidential guest residence across the street from the White House.
*]Friday, January 20
*]Morning - Trump, Pence and their families are expected to attend services at St. John’s Episcopal Church, just steps from the White House.
*]Afterward, President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama welcome Trump and his wife Melania to the White House for morning tea. The two couples will then travel together to the Capitol by motorcade.
*]9:30 am - Inauguration ceremony begins on the west front of the Capitol with musical performances.
*]Attendees will include members of Congress, Supreme Court justices, diplomats and the public. Former presidents Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton will attend, as will Trump’s election opponent Hillary Clinton.
*]Former president George H.W. Bush is in frail health and will not be present.
*]Sixteen-year-old soprano Jackie Evancho will sing the national anthem. The Rockettes dance troupe will also be performing, at a time yet to be announced.
*]11:30 am - Opening remarks. Religious leaders will offer the invocation and readings.
*]Pence will be sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
*]Noon - Trump will recite the oath of office, administered by US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. He will use president Abraham Lincoln’s inauguration Bible, as well as the Bible that Trump’s mother gave to him at his Sunday school graduation in 1955. Afterward, Trump will deliver his inaugural address.
*]12:30 Ceremony ends.
*]Afterward, in keeping with tradition, Trump and Pence will attend the Congressional Lunch in the Capitol.
*]3 pm to 5 pm - Inaugural parade. The newly minted president and vice-president make their way 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) along Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House, trailed by some 8,000 parade participants. They will include members of all US military branches, as well as high school and university marching bands, equestrian corps, first responders, veteran groups and even a tractor brigade.
*]7 pm to 11 pm - Trump, Pence and their wives will make appearances at three official inaugural balls, two of which will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and the other at the National Building Museum. A number of semi-official and unofficial balls also will take place throughout the city.
*]Saturday, Jan 21
*]10 am to 11 am - Trump and Pence attend the interfaith National Prayer Service, held at the Washington National Cathedral.
[/LIST]

yahoo.com/news/schedule-events-trumps-inauguration-021305759.html

Thanks for posting. I’ve never paid any attention to inauguration proceedings before but this year I’m learning so much!

Crowd expectations are down and as of last month, hotels still had rooms to be rented.
Estimates have been for about half of the attendance of Barack Obama’s 2008 inauguration.

fortune.com/2016/12/05/donald-trump-washington-dc-inauguration/

I suppose though when you are entering office with the lowest approval rating of any incoming President in recent history of such polling, only 40%, that’s not overly surprising.

Even GWB, the last President to enter after winning the EC but losing the popular vote, came in with 61%. Obama of course was sky high at a whopping 84%.

cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/trump-administration-approval-inauguration/

How reliable are those polls when so many polls were off before the election? Donald Trump is still very controversial. How many people still don’t want to tell pollsters that they have a favourable opinion of Trump?

I’d say maybe quite reliable considering national polls had Trump losing nationally and he did. The polls that were off were PA, MI, WI. And election polling is a different matter anyway. Pollsters try to predict turnout in elections. And those 3 were still very close and with a slight swing, a very different result. Why would supporters not want to tell pollsters now? He is being sworn in on Fri. Now would be the time to let their support be known. But otoh only 46% of the American people voted for him and that was before the transition.

My niece and I are going on Friday to see the movie, Hidden Figures, about the role African American women at NASA played in John Glenn’s trip into outerspace.

Trump wasn’t complaining when those same favorability polls showed him up immediately after the election. They weren’t taken before the election.

Think I’ll spend Friday in prayer and go for a long walk.

I’m interviewing resident assistant candidates and going to my school’s piano bar in the evening. Should be a restful Friday.

It’s a great movie. I’m sure you and your niece will Enjoy it.

Thanks for posting the schedule of events. I will be watching much of it as it’s always exciting to me when a new President is sworn into office. There is always hope of positive change.

Well, this has turned into an interesting thread about approval ratings and
"What I will be doing on Friday comments.

I agree with the poster who noted they wouldn’t put a lot of stake in the polls. Frankly they are a joke in my opinion at this point.

And in keeping with the spirit of this thread.
This Friday I will be…see first paragraph.

:rolleyes:

Or it could be the fact that it’s a weekday and many Trump supporters have to work to pay the nations bills. :smiley:

Also, there’s no organization I know of as far as busing in people to artificially create enthusiasm.

El Rushbo commentary suggested that these polls may be rigged along the lines of sample size to make the Democrats look good.

Given that one of the polls was done by CNN, their recent feud with the president-elect makes them controversial and less credible.

There’s no getting around that a lot of people don’t like Trump. But that doesn’t mean they are going to run back into the arms of the Democratic Party either.

Remember, Barack Obama’s approval is near 55%, but that is because of how he looks and gives out free things. Consistently during his presidency, those same people giving him a 55% approval are the same people who 66-70% of the time say we were heading in the wrong direction.

I didn’t know anything about it until she asked if I’d be interested in going. It does sound very good and looks like a good cast. I see Octavia Spencer has received acclamations for her role in best supporting actress categories. Looking forward to seeing her. I think there’s a late morning showing that might work for our schedule. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I certainly expect to.

Oh so they do have jobs afterall.

How he looks? What does that mean? You think his approval is high because his hair is grayer and he looks older than 8 yrs ago?

Surely the Trump camp has its own running polls. Or are they still running victory laps in denial of the possible changing dynamics since the election?

His race and age play a huge factor. As does the fact that he’s in superb shape. Some people may like his hair. :smiley: So he looks good. :thumbsup:

But my point was it wasn’t about job performance. If he did such a good job, 65-70% of the country wouldn’t think we were headed in the wrong direction most of the time.

Yeah, both camps run internal polls but those are used for partisan fundraising. The mainstream polls are supposed to be objective, but because so many media firms backed Clinton and now these press conference and twitter wars just collude the situation. Anyone who doesn’t have the attitude of a partisan knows the professional separation just isn’t there anymore.

If people want to kid themselves about polls, well, that’s how you get egg on your face during elections.

I know in 2012 Dick Morris was unusually off in his bold predictions, but I think he at least thought he was telling the truth. A lot of these other folks—they know they’re rigging the game and try it as much as they can get away with while scrambling to find the margin of error boundaries the week of an election.

What does Obama’s approval rating have to do with Trump’s inauguration?
I am happy for Obama his approval rating his high but once again who did this polling? The same people who were certain Ms. Clinton would win?

Also, I personally think a new thread should be started if someone wants to Trump bash in subtle ways. He is after all our new President.

Ideas for new thread:

1: Obama’s approval rating
2. What are you doing Inauguration day (please post only if you want to make a CLEAR statement you are NOT watching the inauguration event but going to movies etc etc.

:rolleyes:

Those right/wrong track polls have their limitations. It’s not uncommon for Americans to say wrong track and reasons vary. For example, had I’d been asked, I might have said wrong track too but because of a Republican Congress and the Republican obstruction for 75% of Obama’s Presidency.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.