Scholarly Journals, Reviews and Periodicals

I’m looking to get some subscriptions to scholarly work. I’d prefer it to be Catholic although I don’t mind reading the views of Protestant scholars where Scripture is concerned. I’m most interested in scripture and church history but I’ll basically read anything. Free access is a bonus, but I enjoy getting literature in the mail to sit down with and read. Thanks in advance!

#2 might have something you like

#3, I’m a Contributing writer

In no particular order:

• First Things - founded by a Jesuit priest; discusses many contemporary issues of culture and politics; not exclusively Catholic
  • Letter & Spirit - founded by Dr. Scott Hahn; thoroughly Catholic academic journal on biblical studies; comes out once a year (more or less)
  • Communio - founded by von Balthasar, de Lubac, and some guy named “Ratzinger” :wink: What more do you need to know! [note that there are actually a number of journals named “Communio”, so make sure you are looking at the right one]
  • Journal of Moral Theology - comes out of Mount St. Mary’s; covers moral theology (as the name implies)

Another one that hasn’t been mentioned so far: Biblica, a quarterly journal published by the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome. Not all the articles are in English, though.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit