School Administrator Fired For Supporting Gay Marriage

m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/3058730/coke.bp%3B_ylt=AmswobgaONlEVLDcyKRKJIax.tw4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTJiYm91ZjM3BGNjb2RlA210cHpidQRjcG9zAzI0BGNzZWMDbW9iaWxlLXRkBGludGwDdXMEcGtnA2lkLTMwNTg3MzAEcG9zAzI0BHNsawNpbWFnZQ–?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.intl=US&.lang=en&.tsrc=yahoo

Sad he wouldn’t repent…

It is a Catholic high school and he is/was the assistant principal.

Moroski, 34 who is married and lives Downtown, acknowledges that he violated the Archdiocese’s social media policy.

The contract he signs every year also requires him to “comply with and act consistently in accordance with the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.”

Moroski said he “knew the statement I was making was not in accordance with Roman Catholic beliefs,” but he does not think he violated the contract because he was following his conscience.

news.cincinnati.com/article/20130209/NEWS01/302090090/Purcell-Marian-staffer-under-fire-opinions-gay-marriage?gcheck=1

In addition to his Facebook posts, here is what he wrote two weeks ago on his personal blog:

“I unabashedly believe that gay people SHOULD be allowed to marry. Ethically, morally and legally I believe this. I spend a lot of my life trying to live as a Christian example of love for others, and my formation at Catholic grade school, high school, 3 Catholic Universities and employment at 2 Catholic high schools has informed my conscience to believe that gay marriage is NOT something of which to be afraid.”

mikemoroski.com/2013/01/choose-your-battles/

Agree with the school’s decision totally. If he does not agree with Church teaching he should not work there

Bill Donohue comments on the firing of an Ohio Catholic high school dean of students for supporting gay marriage on his blog:

ABC News is breaking out all over with its hot story about a Catholic official from Purcell Marian High School who was fired for rejecting Catholic teachings on marriage and the family. Now, of course, all the Catholic bashers are foaming at the mouth.

This issue has nothing to do with the firing of the Cincinnati administrator—the Left would have applauded if he were fired for making anti-gay remarks—it has everything to do with offending liberal sensibilities. And when it comes to firing employees for making statements liberals don’t like, the Left has no rival.

[LIST]
*]In 2010, Juan Williams was fired from National Public Radio (NPR) because his employer objected to comments he made about Muslims on a television station unaffiliated with NPR.
*]In 2012, Pat Buchanan was fired from MSNBC because he wrote a book his employer didn’t like.
*]In 2010, Octavia Nasr was fired from CNN because she praised a radical imam on Twitter.
*]In 2012, a reporter for the Houston Chronicle was fired for posting on her blog that she was a part-time stripper.
*]In 2012, an African American female meteorologist was fired for replying to a racist on her Facebook page, even though her comments were inoffensive.
[/LIST]

By the way, the station that fired the black woman for responding to a racist was KTBS. It is an ABC affiliate.

In short, Catholics don’t need to be lectured by hypocrites about workplace strictures.

Ok, fine.

What if a Catholic is also fired from a pirate University for opposing gay marriage… (what the University considers as discrimination)?

:thumbsup:

*Moroski said he “knew the statement I was making was not in accordance with Roman Catholic beliefs,” but he does not think he violated the contract because he was following his conscience. *

Ah, yes, following one’s conscience. I hear this one a lot from dissenting Catholics…that the Church allows for dissent. Exactly what does the Church teach about following one’s conscience?

Piracy is a scourge upon humanity, and survives by destroying civilization. That pirates are being now trained in university, frankly, is a very frightening though to met. No good Catholic should support such activities.

:wink:

I know, I know… I just had to pull your leg. :blush:

In the US, private schools and universities are free to set voluntary conditions of employment which would not be acceptable at public schools and universities. If an employee’s contract stipulates no public disagreement with Church teaching, breaking that clause in the contract could provide legal grounds for firing.

However the example you use is different. It would involve firing someone for upholding their religious beliefs. Is that possible? If the university did not receive funding from the federal government, perhaps so. But there would be a contract dispute, at the very least.

Good point
:thumbsup:

Following ones conscience also means to continue to FORM ones conscience. It’s not about what YOU believe or feel on a given topic but what is God’s revealed truth on the matter as you have come to understand it. Perhaps this administrator should have prayerfully considered what the Church teaches on the subject of gay marriage. If he didn’t support the position, he should have willingly resigned. If you want to work in a Catholic institution you at least need to support its core value.

He should have resigned. Is it not hypocritical to claim to support Catholic teaching while rejecting it?

:rotfl: private :rotfl:

:slight_smile: Good to know that you and others realised I typed the wrong word and really emphasised it. :o LOL

In that scenario, which is very interesting, couldn’t the Catholic sue the school for misrepresentation. By identifying itself as a Catholic University, then by firing (negative action) for upholding what the University is supposed to profess is gross misrepresentation. Also a private Catholic University that were to punish him/her for that could face a backlash from faithful Catholic students who would withdraw from attending that University.

It’s not a Catholic university. Just a private secular university.

“My point was I wish I had time to care who married each other but I don’t,”

To be fair, his employers did fix that problem for him. All joking aside, let’s hope the man and his are alright following this, and that he gets on the right track in the future.

I wonder what influence he had on students? Did he teach his erroneous views of truth?

As a vice principal and administrator, I am not sure he had any classroom teaching duties.

However, in his official statement on the firing, Moroski sees this incident as being an important lesson for his students.

After twelve years of working with teenagers whose respect I have earned, I simply can’t teach them the wrong lesson now and deny my convictions. I would not be able to look them in the eye. I have tried to instill a sense of faith and fortitude in all of them regarding issues of justice for my entire adult life. I did not turn down the Archdiocese’s terms in spite of my faith. I turned them down because of my faith.

mikemoroski.com/2013/02/my-official-press-release/

Ah okay. Well if the Catholic opposed gay marriage during work time, or on the University’s email account or letterhead, then they might be justified in firing a person for that. If however, he used his private facebook page or private twitter account and somehow the University found out about it and fired him then he/she might have a case for wrongful dismissal.

Moroski in one instance, talks like a Libertarian and this, I can understand better even if my convictions go against this:

“My point was I wish I had time to care who married each other but I don’t,” Mike Moroski, 34, told ABCNews.com. - m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/3058730/coke.bp%3B_ylt=AmswobgaONlEVLDcyKRKJIax.tw4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTJiYm91ZjM3BGNjb2RlA210cHpidQRjcG9zAzI0BGNzZWMDbW9iaWxlLXRkBGludGwDdXMEcGtnA2lkLTMwNTg3MzAEcG9zAzI0BHNsawNpbWFnZQ–?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.intl=US&.lang=en&.tsrc=yahoo

Okay, got it, sounds Libertarian but this part isn’t.

“I unabashedly believe that gay people SHOULD be allowed to marry. Ethically, morally and legally I believe this,” Moroski wrote on Jan. 27. “Gay marriage is NOT something of which to be afraid.”

On the surface, the two statements really don’t jive with each other, the blog posting sounds very adamant in support of so-called Gay marriage, not the attitude of the first statement which seems to say “let individuals do what they want.”

Moroski, who is married to a woman, said he posted a quote on Facebook from President Obama’s inauguration speech supporting marriage equality. It sparked a public discussion with a friend who had an opposing view.

So, I suspect, he’s a sort of social justice type, sees this as supporting Obama and everything will be fine.

I and those who share similar sentiments should too, applaud the Cincinnati Archdiocese for taking this action.

“My friend – part of the reason I love him so much – is we have extremely different views on a lot of things, even if we’re both Catholic,” he said.

The article doesn’t make this part clear, is he saying his friend is gay? Or that people have a right to have differing opinions. Still, he seemed to be in a position of authority in the school to be sporting these kinds of opinions, maybe there is something even more.

you at least need to support its core value.

or at least try to modernise the church’s teaching and not allow the orthodox/radical position to prevail and prejudice or discriminate against ordinary people

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.