School Advise?

I am going to go to the seminary, I am a junior and attend a public school. I am really quiet in school, I am okay with presentations and stuff, but whenever I have to confront someone on absurd anti-Catholic statements, I get red, my throat gets tight, and I shake. I don't know why, either... I know so much about the usual attacks, I guess it is just that I feel like there is so much riding on the argument, panicking I could lose the argument and something bad will happen, that I will damage the faith...

Does anyone else do this? Honestly, it is only when I defend the Faith, not any other kind of argument or public presentation.

The other part of my rant is about a specific class. For the assignment, we pick our wanted careers and talk for a few minutes in Spanish about them.

I know my teacher isn't terribly fond of Catholicism, but she certainly isn't anti-Catholic.

I talked to a confessor a long time ago about telling people about the seminary. He said he went to public school, told teachers, and they were mean to him and told him he was wasting his life. He said it was okay to lay low in a public high school. So that is how I have operated for the past year or so.

But now I think (no offense to the priest, he was wonderful) that the advice is cowardly. The Catholic Faith is worth suffering for.

Should I continue to lay low or go all out, like bring my Liturgy of the Hours book to school and draw Chi-Rhos on my binders, choose Church topics for all my projects, etc.? Or just a healthy medium?

Pax Vobiscum!

Hey I know a person like that, Me! :thumbsup: . I still hide it in college, as I currently go to a public campus.

I actually just got out of a class about 1 hour ago, where the teacher was making false claims about the Catholic Church. I felt the same about the guidance counselor, but lucky enough my counselor ended up being or used to be Catholic. You might be lucky too!

Don’t cast your pearls before swine!

[quote="Lawrence178, post:1, topic:269487"]
I am going to go to the seminary, I am a junior and attend a public school. I am really quiet in school, I am okay with presentations and stuff, but whenever I have to confront someone on absurd anti-Catholic statements, I get red, my throat gets tight, and I shake. I don't know why, either... I know so much about the usual attacks, I guess it is just that I feel like there is so much riding on the argument, panicking I could lose the argument and something bad will happen, that I will damage the faith...

Does anyone else do this? Honestly, it is only when I defend the Faith, not any other kind of argument or public presentation.

The other part of my rant is about a specific class. For the assignment, we pick our wanted careers and talk for a few minutes in Spanish about them.

I know my teacher isn't terribly fond of Catholicism, but she certainly isn't anti-Catholic.

I talked to a confessor a long time ago about telling people about the seminary. He said he went to public school, told teachers, and they were mean to him and told him he was wasting his life. He said it was okay to lay low in a public high school. So that is how I have operated for the past year or so.

But now I think (no offense to the priest, he was wonderful) that the advice is cowardly. The Catholic Faith is worth suffering for.

Should I continue to lay low or go all out, like bring my Liturgy of the Hours book to school and draw Chi-Rhos on my binders, choose Church topics for all my projects, etc.? Or just a healthy medium?

Pax Vobiscum!

[/quote]

I've been discerning the Priesthood and Religious Life for almost a year now, and if I went to a public school I would proudly talk about the Priesthood. I would not, however, bring the Liturgy of the Hours. If I'm not mistaken, you can get expelled for that, and Jesus surely doesn't want you to do such a foolish act. Being proud of your Faith is a great thing, but don't get expelled over it.

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:4, topic:269487"]
I've been discerning the Priesthood and Religious Life for almost a year now, and if I went to a public school I would proudly talk about the Priesthood. I would not, however, bring the Liturgy of the Hours. If I'm not mistaken, you can get expelled for that, and Jesus surely doesn't want you to do such a foolish act. Being proud of your Faith is a great thing, but don't get expelled over it.

[/quote]

Why would I be expelled? I wouldn't do anything but read it. There is a (Protestant) Bible Study at the school. It is a public school, not the USSR!

Most people don't even know about the priesthood thing yet the horrible, crude jokes still flow. If I were to reveal it...

[quote="Lawrence178, post:5, topic:269487"]
Why would I be expelled? I wouldn't do anything but read it. There is a (Protestant) Bible Study at the school. It is a public school, not the USSR!

Most people don't even know about the priesthood thing yet the horrible, crude jokes still flow. If I were to reveal it...

[/quote]

Revealing your desire to become a priest is fine, just as it is fine to keep it to yourself if you do not feel ready to deal with the criticism. But overtly going out of your way to throw it in people's faces isn't going to get you anywhere either, that's just going to put people off even more.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:6, topic:269487"]
Revealing your desire to become a priest is fine, just as it is fine to keep it to yourself if you do not feel ready to deal with the criticism. But overtly going out of your way to throw it in people's faces isn't going to get you anywhere either, that's just going to put people off even more.

[/quote]

I don't intend to throw it in people's faces, but people know me and the barrages of rumors and insults that will start the second I say "Quiero ser el cura" will be endless...

I think I will hold off until next year, my senior year.

Good choice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.