School bans girl for shaving head to support friend with cancer

stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/03/25/school-bans-girl-for-shaving-head-to-support-friend-with-cancer

They did reverse the ban only after her Mother went to Facebook to protest it but they never should have banned it to begin with.

Geesh. What else can one say?

Agree, shame on them.

I think it’s sad that the school only admitted her back when the story went out to the media- saving their reputation is their priority rather than encouraging their students to be compassionate, courageous and to use their minds. Really sad. :shrug:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of small-minded people in this world. They only way they can feel big about themselves is by protecting their tiny realm. Zero-tolerance policies are among the dumber things these people have come up with IMHO. No need to thin…it’s zero tolerance.
Things like this make me long for the days when I was growing up…my generation has proven itself to be very poor when dealing with children. Shame…

What a small-minded thing to do on the part of the school. :frowning:

Your correct. Is there no one out there with a little bit of common sense anymore? And since when does school policy dictate hair style? Just another example of nitwit thinking running the show.

i hope this wasn’t a catholic school, was it?

This really disgusts me. This girl should have been commended, not banned.

No wonder so many parents are choosing to home school

Even if it wasn’t to support a friend with cancer, what is the problem with a girl having a shaved head? I thought we were past this type of nonsense. Wait until they hear about girls wearing pants!

Too bad the school does not spend more time educating children and less time in making mindless rules. Sadly this is what our public education system has become.

I know my Sacred Heart network school didn’t allow “extreme” hairstyles or unnatural colors. I don’t see anything wrong with a school trying to maintain a proper atmosphere. The parents were wrong to allow her to break the dress code without asking special permission, and the school was wrong for outright suspending her. They should just ask her to wear a nice hat or scarf, IMO.

Or maybe this is one of those “teachable moments” people are always talking about. If the school felt her “extreme” hairstyle was going to cause a problem, they could have used it as an opportunity to talk to the kids about what it means to be a friend to someone, and supporting them when they are going through a rough time.

No, Caprock Academy is a public, tuition-free charter school. It follows a classical education philosophy.
caprockacademy.org/what-is-caprock/

I think the ban on shaved heads for girls was instituted with teenagers in mind. Some girls might shave their head as a rebellious fashion statement, and the school wanted something more genteel.

Here is what the dress code for girls says about hair:

Ladies’ Hair: Should be neatly combed or styled. No shaved heads. Hair accessories must be red, white, navy, black or brown. Neat barrettes, headbands and “scrunchies” are permissible. Hair should not be arranged or colored so as to draw undue attention to the student. Hair must be natural looking and conservative in its color. Radical changes in hair color during the school year are unacceptable.
caprockacademy.org/caprock-essentials/dress-code/girls-grade-school-dress-code/

The girl is fine, the rest of them are ridiculous. All it takes is a little common sense to know there was nothing wrong with her doing this for her friend. She is showing others what a friend is. It took courage and humility to do this. Not to mention love. Shame on the school.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.