School Clams Up on 'Gay' Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners

School Clams Up on ‘Gay’ Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners

** A California school system refuses to say what action, if any, it will take after it received complaints about a kindergarten teacher who encouraged her students to sign “pledge cards” in support of gays.**
During a celebration of National Ally Week, Tara Miller, a teacher at the Faith Ringgold School of Arts and Science in Hayward, Calif., passed out cards produced by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network to her class of kindergartners.
The cards asked signers to be “an ally” and to pledge to “not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs; intervene, when I feel I can, in situations where others are using anti-LGBT language or harassing other students and actively support safer schools efforts.”

more…

Disgusting! I pray that action is taken on this quickly!

I don’t see what’s wrong with it. The card basically summarizes the teaching of the Church with regard to harassment of, and unjust discrimination against homosexuals.

While I agree that gays should not be treated unjustly, I hardly think kindergartners fully understand the concept of homosexuality. As well the pledge card gives a sort of approval to those in that lifestyle. Surely all young children (or any of us really) need is to know is to “treat others as you would like to be treated”. Covers everyone.

No, the chruch does not support sexual orientation or gender identity expression as a right nor does the US.

Wake up Barbarian. See who is behind this card and their agenda.

I agree with The Barbarian on (1) and (2) but what does that third pledge mean?

As an Ally, I pledge to… “actively support safer schools efforts.”

Well fine print never hurt anyone before, but there is a www.glsen.com website linked to it so I might as well take a peek…

GLSEN believes that a quality Kindergarten through 12th grade education is a fundamental right in a democratic society, and calls upon federal, state and local governments to adequately fund K-12 public schools so that all students have access to a quality, discrimination-free education in their communities. GLSEN advocates for the following, with the understanding that adequate funding helps to enhance the efforts to achieve these goals:

GLSEN affirms the right of all students in publicly-funded K-12 schools to an education free of discrimination and harassment, and calls upon public policy making bodies to ensure equal educational access by adopting and enforcing measurable non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies that include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.

GLSEN affirms the right of all students in parochial and private/independent schools to an education free from discrimination and harassment and calls upon the boards and administrators of these schools to ensure equal educational access by adopting and enforcing measurable non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies that include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.

GLSEN believes that learning about the diversity of humankind is an essential part of education in a democratic society, and affirms the right of students to learn in classroom environments that nurture diversity. GLSEN encourages schools to allow students in all grade levels access to curricula, trainings, texts and materials – in all areas including but not limited to, history, literature, family life, sexuality and health education – that are relevant, comprehensive, age-appropriate, medically-accurate and inclusive of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. GLSEN calls upon public policy makers to remove any prohibitive laws that forbid or discourage in-school discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.

GLSEN affirms the right of all students to participate safely and fully in all aspects of school life, including, but not limited to, school-sponsored co-curricular and extra-curricular programs and activities such as athletics, clubs, and school programs. GLSEN encourages the adoption of policies, procedures and trainings that ensure that these opportunities are made accessible to all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.

GLSEN affirms the right of all students to have accurate information relating to LGBT people, history, culture and ideas, and to have access to such information through school libraries, guidance, health services and all other resources. GLSEN encourages the adoption of policies, procedures and trainings that ensure that these educational opportunities are made accessible to all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.

GLSEN values the extraordinary leadership of young people and affirms the right of students to organize and lead school-supported Gay-Straight Alliances and other appropriate groups that address LGBT issues in schools.

GLSEN believes that all school employees need pre-service and in-service training that includes accurate information about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and people. GLSEN calls upon boards and administrators to provide these trainings for current school employees and those studying to enter the profession as part of comprehensive training.

GLSEN understands that all school employees best serve students when they have workplaces that are free from discrimination and harassment. GLSEN calls upon public policy makers to adopt and enforce measurable non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies that include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.

GLSEN supports the rights of all parents/families to participate in their children’s school activities and calls upon public policy makers and school officials to adopt and enforce practices that recognize and support diverse families.

Anyone not sucking on a bong knows that this has little to do with fairness and everything to do with normalizing homosex. If anyone here thinks homosex is just ducky, they need to fess up to it to have any credibility.

first it was tolerance now it is ENFORCED ACCEPTANCE:mad:

and next it will be propagandized championing and embracement.

Barbarian observes:
I don’t see what’s wrong with it. The card basically summarizes the teaching of the Church with regard to harassment of, and unjust discrimination against homosexuals.

No,

Yes, it does. Here’s the Church’s teaching on it:

**The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. ** - From the Catechism

the chruch does not support sexual orientation or gender identity expression as a right

As I told you, it does however, condemn harassment and unjust discrimination against homosexuals.

Wake up Barbarian.

It is your responsibility as a Catholic to know what the Church teaches. The Church is not obligated to conform to our fears and prejudices.

See who is behind this card and their agenda.

The Church? As you see, the card merely asserts what we as Catholics are obligated to accept. The Church recognizes that there are many people who are homosexual in their inclinations, and while homosexuality is intrinsically disordered, such people are not to be mistreated or subjected to unjust discrimination.

If you don’t accept this, you have some hard choices ahead. The Church rather clearly points out that protecting people from unjust discrimination and accepting them as human beings, is not the same thing as accepting their behavior or orientation. You aren’t, of course, forced to accept them, but that’s what God calls on you to do.

Yep. I accept the passage quoted from the CCC. I also accept this part:

**2357 **

Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Do you?**

My sister “understood homosexuality” when she was six.

Me: You know how (our brother) goes on dates with girls?
Her: Yes.
Me; Well, some girls like to go on dates with other girls. That’s called being gay.
Her: I saw a show on TV where two dads coached a soccer team, so I already knew that.

Well that sure didn’t omit any reality. :rolleyes:

I mean, fundamentally, I don’t think kindergarteners (most) thinka bout sex when they think about interpersonal relationships. I don’t think I had any clue what sex was when I was five. But I could understand romantic connections. I don’t know, the concept of “kids won’t understand!” doesn’t seem to hold muster with me.

But it violates Church teaching regarding not exposing young children to sexual information that would violate their right to innocence. There is no way that kindergarteners can be given this card to sign without having to violate their innocence and modesty with a discussion of homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism.

Wake up Barbarian! Evil is very subtle. You know exactly what’s going on here. You are losing respect by continuuing.

Wake up Barbarian! Evil is very subtle.

Or sometimes, as in this thread, not so subtle. The argument that the Catechism is conveying evil, that’s not in the least subtle. If you don’t agree with it, then don’t agree with it. But don’t call it “evil.”

You know exactly what’s going on here.

You bet. Homosexuals have an intrinsically disordered sexuality, but we must, as Christians, accept them, and avoid any unjust discrimination against them.

So the Church teaches.

You are losing respect by continuuing.

Not with anyone who respects the Church enough to follow what it teaches.

Yep. I accept the passage quoted from the CCC. I also accept this part:

So we are agreed that we shouldn’t accept acts of homosexuality, but we must accept homosexuals and avoid unjust discrimination against them?

If so, that’s all the card said. So it’s not a problem for you, then.

Whether or not kids can deal with the idea of homosexuality without being harmed, is another issue, but I don’t see any evidence that it does harm them.

Do you have any verifiable data on that?

I am not contesting what the Catechism states.

We are to love the sinner and hate the sin. The insidious agenda of the homosexual lobby is not one of loving the sinner and hating the sinner, it is one of love the sinner and the sin, and you know it.

I am not contesting what the Catechism states.

Then why does it bother you if it’s written on a card?

We are to love the sinner and hate the sin. The insidious agenda of the homosexual lobby is not one of loving the sinner and hating the sinner, it is one of love the sinner and the sin, and you know it.

Whether you believe that or not, we are still obligated to do what it right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.