School Mass

I belong to my school’s prayer group and they happen to have Mass once a month in the school’s chapel. I often am asked to altar serve (which I like doing) but I currently am in a state of mortal sin. Is there a way to altar serve but refrain from communion or should I not do it until I go to confession?

Just serve, but when communion time comes, don’t receive. :shrug:

It's a little more complicated than that. Even though its a Novus Ordo Mass, the priest is very traditional (as am I) and the Altar servers kneel next to him. Is there a hand motion that I could make while kneeling to signify that I am not able to receive?

Yes, all you do is cross your arms over your chest with each hand holding the opposite shoulder....like you're giving yourself a big hug.

And may I say............I'm very inspired by a young person being willing and KNOWING that it is a good thing to abstain from communion like this! It should a STRONG spiritual life within you in that you relize the seriousnes, you understand your state of spiritual being, AND that you are willing to show some humility in front of your priest and school friends..........that's very powerful!

I remember I would shrink in doing this many times myself because I was full of pride and a coward.......later, I realized it was an actu that could actually be an awsome example to everyone around me! We catholics are soooo quick to recieve communion and sooo slow to realize we have to have a responsibility and respect for so great a gift from God!

I think God will be very pleased with you!

Michael

You admit you are in the state of mortal sin. I see two options. One receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. In the Act of Contrition one hopes to rid themselves of any habitual sin. Pray for that grace. The second option is - do not serve. I hear your desire to do so - however you need to remove personal feelings, step back and see this situation in the entire light. I promise to pray for this difficult issue in your life.

[quote="YoungCatholic86, post:1, topic:311683"]
I belong to my school's prayer group and they happen to have Mass once a month in the school's chapel. I often am asked to altar serve (which I like doing) but I currently am in a state of mortal sin. Is there a way to altar serve but refrain from communion or should I not do it until I go to confession?

[/quote]

As they stated before me....just cross your arms over your chest! You can still serve God during Mass. I am so thankful for your zeal and love for Christ's Church. I will pray for you and hope your faith in Christ keeps growing and growing!!!! Keep up the GREAT work!

Yes, just cross your arms over your chest, bow your head and pray until Father passes you by.

If anyone asks why you are not recieving just say that you prefer not to right now. Why is no one's business and they probably just want to gossip..

If anyone asks you whether you are OK then they are very kind and caring, and you need to make them one of your close friends.

-Tim-

Is it not possible for you to go to Confession before serving at Mass? That would also solve your problem.

I read somewhere on here, and possibly on the main CA website, before that you are able to receive the Eucharist IF you are fully repentant and contrite and would seek confession as soon as possible thereafter.

I may have read it wrong, but someone may be able to confirm or clarify.

You could also mention it to the priest before mass and ask what to do, and maybe have someone who could take your place on standby in the event that he tells you not to serve.

I think you ought to let the priest know beforehand. Who knows, he may even determine that he does not want you to serve this time as a penance, regardless of whether or not he gives you right away the Sacrament of Reconciliation thus allowing you to receive the beloved in the Holy Eucharist.

It’s optimal to speak to the celebrant beforehand. If not you can cross your arms over your chest, or some more traditional priests which recognize it when you place two fingers over your mouth as if you’re shushing someone (thats how it’s done in the Extraordinary Form, if I recall correctly).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.