School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

A Delhi Charter School policy that prevents pregnant female students from attending school and can force them to take a pregnancy test to continue attending school if administrators “suspect” pregnancy has drawn the attention of the American Civil Liberties Union

The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspect student is in fact pregnant," the policy reads.

The policy also allows the school to refer the student to a physician of its choice. “If the test indicates that the student is pregnant, the student will not be permitted to attend classes on the campus of Delhi Charter School.”

Read more: foxnews.com/health/2012/08/07/school-policy-forces-students-to-take-pregnancy-tests-ban-pregnant-teens/?test=latestnews#ixzz22yEkD5Rz

So, what?
Journalists call this Summer Season the “silly season”, so when there are no news they must invent some…
Is this newsworthy?

I do not think I agree with this, I think pregnant teens should be welcomed, teens have a terrible abortion rate, and probably one of the reasons is because they think they will not be able to get an education and have a child. They should be welcomed in school

Why don’t you define newsworthiness for us and we will go from there… :rolleyes:

Newsworthiness is something that fits into a regular newspaper.
When you have 1000 news, you choose the best.
When you have none, you invent.
Anyhow, anywhere, anytime, the newspaper must appear every day.
With good, bad or scrap news.
My definition, that I do not want to impose to anyone.
“Silly Season” is a Journalist expression for Summer Time.
As for this news, I do not believe what the paper said. It is too stupid. It is like the story of the cyclist who was using dope and brought a sample of his wife urine to the control.
The result came that he was pregnant … as his wife was…

I suppose they would rather these teenagers get an abortion and stay in school than to continue their pregnancy and drop out. I find that to be disgusting. These teens should not be pressured to get an abortion if they do become pregnant. But then again, maybe this policy will prevent teenagers from engaging in fornication. After all, the only fool proof method of preventing pregnancy is to not have sex.

Where does it say that? I didn’t read that they are taken for or pressured to get an abortion.

All it says is that they are placed in a home study course.

When I was in high school, we had one pregnant girl. People were shocked to see her walking around. She wasn’t married, but was pregnant. This was in 9th grade. She had another child as a senior.

Today, there are anywhere from a dozen to three dozen pregnant girls walking around that same school.

It has become normal. No one sees it as a big deal. Maybe if it was still a big deal, girls (and guys) would think before having sex.

How bout also banning the guy who gets the girl pregnant.

The only way to do that is to wait until she gives birth.

Exactly. This is clearly gender discrimination. There is no test for guys who have impregnated a girl but to be fair there should be at least a policy of banning those who are known to have fathered a child.

I guess this is just one more modern reincarnation of the age-old ‘stoning’ of the woman for something that takes two people. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Without a test, how would you know?

Or are we convicting people without proof?

Who’s convicting? Where’s the crime?

I said “known” because there are ways to know. A paternity test is only one way. Acknowledgement of paternity (officially or socially acknowledging one’s child) can happen otherwise.

Which is why paternity tests are needed. Just because you think you might be the father, doesn’t mean you are. Just because you think she is only having sex with you, doesn’t mean she is.

You can make it a big deal without giving them a second rate education… It in no way benefits the mother to be or the child…

:thumbsup:

You forgot this one: banning any guy who got any girl pregnant even if it was not of that school … yes, I agree … there is not test … yet …

Do you really think there will be a test in the future to find out if a man EVER procreated?

Most Catholic Schools that I’ve had experience with had a similar policy, Pregnant student has home study until baby comes and then she can resume class.

Actually, my son’s school has a policy for both boys and girls to be put on home study (it’s a grammar school, but I guess unheard of for a child that young to become a parent)

I’m not sure how it’s enforced.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.