School Spending Is Up : The District of Columbia spent $27,067 per pupil in

I don’t think there’s enough information provided by the article to know that. There are too many open questions. We don’t know if that’s actual expenditures, or if that’s incoming allocation that is spent, while some of it goes to some general fund?

What bonds are being floated? I assume that figure is for all of DC, so is that K-12 plus charter? Is preschool counted into that? How many districts are we talking about? I imagine the cost of running an elementary school would be less than a high school. Special Ed students take more resources, depending on needs.

And I think that a number of actual cost per student needs to be defined what we mean. A district spending 10 million to build a new high school doesn’t exactly increase the cost of educating a student in another high school in the district - but that building cost would be factored into expenditures per student in said district.

And then, like… Do you count the costs of the athletic department as necessary to a student’s education? Or music, or art, or theatre, dances, extra-curricular stuff… Security costs in unsafe areas… There’s just so much potentially going on here.

Schools own their properties, and they bought the land decades ago in most cases.

Stop making excuses for abuse. If groundskeeping and paved parking is driving 27k/student, fraud is what comes to mind.

When considering the cost of some additional students, however, the pertinent parameter is not the total cost divided by increased total number of students, but the marginal cost: the extra costs per added student. If the bulk of the spending is on salaries and operations and maintenance of facilities, then if there is excess capacity, the marginal cost of extra students maybe vanishingly small. If, on the other extreme, the infux of new students requires the construction of additional space, then marginal costs would skyrocket and be much higher than the average student cost.

Schools are always buying up new bits of land, building new properties, knocking stuff down and putting back up, buying portibles, etc.

My own home district built up a new school during my freshman year, and we all got ripped out of our school to the new one after that. A middle school last summer here bought up about an acre to clear and build a parking lot. And I live in a small town.

I’m not making excuses - I’ve said that I’m sure there’s room to trim costs somewhere. But without looking at the budgets, and how this figure was came upon, and what this figure actually represents, this is nothing more than Alex-Jones-worthy scarebait meant to angry up blood. We don’t have all the facts in this - we don’t know what’s being spent on what. We don’t know what this money is being spent on, or what part of it can reasonably be cut.

Exactly. Ten characters.

Well, that is a societal problem caused by a vulgarization of our culture and bad, disinterested parenting. I don’t know what the solution to that would be. It’s a real problem. You need parents who care about their child’s homework and grades, and some just don’t care or don’t have time. You can’t expect teachers to do everything.

Some of the money goes to security. Sad state of affairs.

I am a teacher. Give me 25 students and $675 k, and I will rent the space, pay for supplies, probably hire an assistant at a rate better than government schools pay, and educate them better without the administrative interference

Perhaps you would. Would you be able to demonstrate that to satisfaction of the taxpayers? Would you be open to students with disabilities, both physical and mental? Would you be able prepared to education ESL students? Would you have the range of curricular and co-curricular activities that being out the talents of various students? There is a lot of “school” that happens outside of you classroom.

Only 25 students per class? I want to teach in your district.

I’m sure you’re a wonderful and dedicated educator but I don’t know if you can. A district isn’t trying to teach 25 students at a time. It’s trying to manage the education of thousands of students with limited space and human resources. They need to be brought from K-12, along with all the other students. Managing that can’t be done in discreet little units of 25.

Every teacher is trying to teach those “discreet little units”, be they 25, or more or less. And obviously, many of those highly financed districts aren’t being successful even with those not insignificant resources. $20 k per child IS significant.

Well, many of these well financed districts already don’t demonstrate that to the satisfaction of the taxpayers.
Of course, there are benefits of having resources that a district can provide. Properly done, student performance can improve.
But in the United States, performance is not improving under the current approach. There are a number of reasons. Financial resources is not at the top of the list.

The point is that the work needed to develop rerports costs money, and those costs did not seem to be included in your propsal of how to do it better.

But there is no reason to think they would under your proposal.

I don’t disagree with this, but prefer good proposals about how to move forward

This article is worth reading in it’s entirety. The data is a few years old, but I expect it remains accurate in addressing the issues

Why would you assume all costs would be included in a passing comment on an Internet forum?

Think what you want. Again, it was a casual comment, not a written proposal.

Oh, you want positive proposals. Here’s one:
https://www.nifdi.org/what-is-di/project-follow-through

The single biggest issue in American public education is failed pedagogies, and a lack a broad use of knowledge-centered curricula such as Core Knowledge.

The kids can’t read!!!

True, but not entirely so. Since I was in high school, my old school district has built a new high school three times and is getting ready to build a fourth. The student body has increased by about 25%. So, you would also have to add (in this case and in many others) the cost of each of those rebuilds and divide by the number of students.

Now, only two of those involved “tear downs” of the previous buildings. One of the former high schools was converted to a middle school.

I don’t have the ability to do the math reliably, but we can’t ignore things like building costs and only look to the marginal cost of an additional student. Nor, for that matter, can we ignore things like teacher pensions and medical insurance for life. If those are counted in the “cost per pupil” figures, I’m not aware of it.

Spending is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHcYNGXvjU

click here google youtube spending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHcYNGXvjU

They can’t read because of failed pedagogy.

Public education is expensive. I’m not sure what the other option is, however.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.