School & Work Too Much?

My question is not all that important, but in all honesty has been kind of killing me! I'm signed up to take five classes this semester. School starts Monday and I'm a bit worried about the work load seeing as I also work 30 hours a week at my job. I keep deciding that I'm going to take all five classes and then MINUTES later I decide to drop one and bump it down to four! I'm behind in school and so I think this is why the decision is so hard for me. I want someone to tell me what to do! More importantly I want God to decide for me. I'm hoping whoever answers this question will be inspired by the Holy Spirit!

Thanks in advance & God bless!

Anybody? It's kinda stressin' me out...

My daughter is in the same situation–she starts school Monday (she’s only taking 12 hours, though) and will be working 30 hours a week. My mom told me she had read of a study that showed that when students worked up to 20 hours a week, it had very little, if any, affect on grades. But any more than that, and their grades suffered.

I told my daughter I would rather she cut down on work hours than drop any classes. She needs to stay a full-time student in order for her to be added to my medical insurance.

She’s also on academic probation, so she has to make the grades this time around. If her grades suffer, she’ll have to quit her job.

Just my 2 cents…I don’t know your financial position, or if you’re having to pay for school and all your expenses yourself, but if it’s possible for your situation, I would suggest cutting down on work hours rather than school hours. I have pounded into my children over and over the importance of an education!

Miz

You have to forgive me, I don't know if you are in HS or college. I suppose it really doesn't matter....

I went back to school on the GI bill in 2000, and yeah, it's hard going to school full time and working part time AND taking care of a little one. My son was in preschool when I went back to school....

So. I can understand your concern. Do you have to take a full load? Can you take 4 classes? Can you cut your hours at work a bit? Is that an option? I'm guessing not, if you are dependent on the income.

I would be careful not to overextend yourself...you know, you need time for you, to unwind...and heck, you need time to study and all that stuff-and...being on this forum, and it seems to me you are RC, you might even need time to worship, etc....so...is it possible to take one less class?

Just my take on it. If my son asked me this, I'd probably tell him the same thing..:D

Pray this every time before work, and whenever you finish your breaks. It helped me a lot when I worked crazy hours during high school (I'm not doing more than work study this year at college - I would suggest the same, keep it under twenty hours).

Glorious St. Joseph, model of all those who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in a spirit of penance for the expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my inclinations; to work with gratitude and joy, considering it an honor to employ and develop, by means of labor, the gifts received from God; to work with order, peace, moderation and patience, without ever recoiling before weariness or difficulties; to work, above all, with purity of intention, and with detachment from self, having always death before my eyes and the account which I must render of time lost, of talents wasted, of good omitted, of vain complacency in success, so fatal to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all after your example, O Patriarch Joseph. Such shall be my watchword in life and in death. Amen.

Ok... I'm a former recruiter... so I will tell you what I would consider when looking at your transcript if it really mattered with regards to hire... I worked within the financial arena... SO IT WOULD MATTER...

If you have a lousy GPA, and worked, I'm more leinent. If you have a lousy GPA, and don't work. You get moved to the "must have amazing qualities elsewhere pile."

If you work, and pull a decent GPA, you might be more golden than the GPA that rocks with zero experience.

What are your classes this semester... What's your GPA, what's your major, and what kind of work do you do right now...

I think these are a lot of great points…

OP - can you cut back at work to 20hrs a week? That may help balance things out a bit!

[quote="OnlyHope, post:1, topic:209879"]
My question is not all that important, but in all honesty has been kind of killing me! I'm signed up to take five classes this semester. School starts Monday and I'm a bit worried about the work load seeing as I also work 30 hours a week at my job. I keep deciding that I'm going to take all five classes and then MINUTES later I decide to drop one and bump it down to four! I'm behind in school and so I think this is why the decision is so hard for me. I want someone to tell me what to do! More importantly I want God to decide for me. I'm hoping whoever answers this question will be inspired by the Holy Spirit!

Thanks in advance & God bless!

[/quote]

Well, I'll tell you I did all of my undergraduate work while I was working 40-50 hours a week. It took about 5 years, and I did summer and spring classes. Also, I was lucky because due to AP credits from high school I was able to place out of alot of classes and take some blow-off classes.

That being said, what's more important to you right now, your work or your school? For me at the time it was work. I was already working in my career and since work was PAYING for school, well, work obviously had to come first.

I'm nto sure of your exact situation or what you mean when you say that you're behind (behind what?), but, if I may offer some advice, it is this.

5 classes and 30 hours sounds like alot. I would only do that if the classes were easy, or intro level. How are you at online courses? Those saved me alot of time, at least I didn't have to drive anywhere! Devote more time to what is more important for you (I think that's a good general rule for life actually!). If shcool should demand your focus now, then cut back at work. If you need to be working, then cut back at school.

I stuck with 3-4 classes per semester. For the shorter spring/summer terms, I would do 1 or 2 each. Also, it depends on what your major is. If you're in molecular biology, I would guess you would need to spend more time studying than if you were a communications major. :shrug:

I think 4 classes with 30 hours is do-able. If you're not sure, see if you can get a copy of the syllabus before the first day of class. Look it over, and see how much time you would have to devote to it, and just crunch the numbers from there. Also, I was lucky in that some professors were very forthright about their classes. They said 'If you want an A, study this many hours. If you want a B, this many hours' and so on. It's a fair question to ask. See if they can put a number on it.
Honestly, though, if I were you and this is your 1st time doing that kind of a work load along with school, I think you should carry a light load rather than heavy. No sense risking losing all that money on classes you might ultimately drop. Just my two cents.

Best of luck in both of your endeavors!

[quote="faithfully, post:6, topic:209879"]
Ok... I'm a former recruiter... so I will tell you what I would consider when looking at your transcript if it really mattered with regards to hire... I worked within the financial arena... SO IT WOULD MATTER...

If you have a lousy GPA, and worked, I'm more leinent. If you have a lousy GPA, and don't work. You get moved to the "must have amazing qualities elsewhere pile."

If you work, and pull a decent GPA, you might be more golden than the GPA that rocks with zero experience.

What are your classes this semester... What's your GPA, what's your major, and what kind of work do you do right now...

[/quote]

I just want to echo what faithfully said. All of these hiring places were really impressed that I worked and went to school at the same time.

If you are stressing over it, you probably have too big of a workload. A typical 15 credit student does not work 30 hours a week. Since you are not typical (not a bad thing), if school takes longer, so what.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.