Schools must allow transgender bathrooms, Department of Education says

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Education will tell school districts Friday that federal law requires them to allow students to use restrooms and locker rooms “consistent with their gender identity,” escalating the pressure from the Obama administration on the contentious public debate over transgender rights.

In a “dear colleague” letter to school districts first reported by the New York Times, the Department of Education maintains that requiring transgender students to use same-sex facilities violates Title IX, the 1972 law that prohibits discrimination based on sex. The letter was provided to USA TODAY by two administration officials who would not discuss it publicly because it hadn’t been sent.

“When a school provides sex-segregated activities and facilities, transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity,” reads the letter, signed by two Obama administration officials responsible for enforcing civil rights laws: Assistant Secretary of Education Catherine E. Lhamon, and Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta.

usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/12/feds-schools-transgender-bathrooms-letter-title-ix/84311104/

The letter is here
www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201605-title-ix-transgender.pdf

Dept. of Ed announcement here:
blog.ed.gov/2016/05/helping-schools-ensure-the-civil-rights-of-transgender-students/

Here is the 25 page pdf document that came with the letter. I tried to skim through it but grew weary. I did notice this part:

“Schools generally rely on students’ (or in the case of younger students, their parents’ or guardians’) expression of their gender identity. Although schools sometimes request some form of confirmation, they generally accept the student’s asserted gender identity.”

www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oese/oshs/emergingpractices.pdf

I kept thinking back wondering what my old elementary school principal, or my parents, would have made of such a document.

A great blow for equality, we can rest easy knowing this serious treat to injustice has been ended. Surely the number of kindergarten kids running up to the teacher and saying, ‘I am trans-gendered and demand a toilet in line with the gender I have assigned myself in step with my social beliefs and which confirm to my identity although they may challenge conventional social norms’, will now drop rapidly. Meanwhile the vast number of unemployed people in the USA no doubt gave a resounding cheer to this great stride forward towards social justice. Also as usual a number of young and surprisingly quite attractive people put like on Facebook and social media and were interviewed by the news stating that their generation would be freed from the restrictions of been locked into sexual identities. Elsewhere the rest of the world pointed a finger at their temple and rotated it slowly while making cuckoo noises under their breath.

Sowing the seeds of radical sexual confusion in kids. Not a good thing - ever.

Ed

I already told my wife (a former teacher who is a supporter of public schools)… the day boys go into the girls bathroom is the day my kids go to Catholic school.

Might be coming sooner than expected.

Do what you can to send them to Catholic schools – we need to help our kids live as free from this stuff as we can or the future has no hope. And we need to support Catholic schools so parents have a choice.

I’m not sure why transgender rights trump the right of a 12-year-old girl not to have to share a bathroom with an 18-year-old who has boy parts. It’s bad enough sometimes that they have to share a school bus with older boys.

–Jen

Oh, Jen, Jen. It’s like this. If a boy sharing a shower with the girls’ basketball team is a girl “in his head”, the rest of his body is that of a girl too, notwithstanding that it manifestly isn’t. Your error here is that you insist that reality is what’s real.:rolleyes:

So teenage boys may or may not need to forge a permission slip, it varies by school.
More confusion on the whole thing.

At least if a health care professional was involved there’d be some prospect of recourse.

So it’s better that someone who looks, dresses, and acts as a male use the bathroom with girls? That is ridiculous.

People are all of a sudden freaked out about transgendered people using the bathroom consistent with their gender identify and I really have no idea why. This is all so completely ridiculous that this is being made to be an issue. Seriously women, following this law, you will be using the bathroom with people who look and act like men. Is this what you want? Do you think this will somehow make everyone safer? And men- you will be using the bathroom with people who look and act female. Are you comfortable with that?

Don’t confuse me with facts or reality being real.

My God,

Ed

Movie title: Crazier and Crazier: Gender Identity

Review: Crazier and Crazier highlights the importance of confusing facts with fiction. It succeeds, so I expect Crazier and Crazier 2 will highlight another bit of Craziness by those obsessed with changing reality.

If State and Local governments or barring that the School Boards, have any common sense left in their minuscule brains they will tell the Feds exactly where to put this latest blackmail; sadly I don’t have much hope based on the cowardly idiocy I have witnessed over the past 8 years.

So, it’s better that someone with a penis use the bathroom with girls? Now that’s ridiculous !

No, I think we get it. Some guy has a greater right to dress up like a woman and pretend he is one, than some little girl has to be reasonably sure some naked guy isn’t going to walk into the shower room with her. Or at least that’s how Obama sees human rights.

Liberalism. What outrageous things are they going to come up with next? Perhaps more to the point, in how many additional ways does Hillary Clinton plan to make us “change our religion”?

For myself - I do no care if a truly transgendered person uses the facilities for which they identify with whether it’s before or after surgery because I expect 99% of them to follow prescribed custom, do their business and get out and thus neither I nor my children will ever notice.

HOWEVER - humans…being humans…will have a rather larger portion of individuals who will use this as an excuse or consider it a dare to enter the bathroom of the opposite gender, cause trouble ranging from embarrassment to outright abuse/assault and get away with it by claiming they are transgendered.

And before you claim this new policy will not increase the danger of that happening, may I point out that before all this, three or four teenage boys entering the girls room would immediately cause a huge ruckus - anyone, male/female, teacher/student - would immediately know something was wrong, demand they leave and check on any female who had been in there when they entered. Now, while it will cause some concern, teachers and many students will feel they cannot “say” anything resulting in the actions occurring more frequently, the burden of proof that they caused trouble while in there will increase, and when accused there is a decent chance they will claim to be the victims.

And that is why I’m “freaked out” - I already live where a school bus driver cannot break up a fight on a school bus - no matter how badly a student is getting injured - because of rules and possibility of lawsuits. And if the student getting beaten hits back even one time, they are considered equally in violation of policy and will get the same punishment as the attacker. So I’ve already seen common sense go flying out the window, so I have no hope that common sense will prevail when it comes to bathrooms either.

Well played! That was funny. (and sadly true):frowning:

This became an issue because the left made it into an issue.

Transgender people are very small. However, the rules that are being passed down will make it easy for Peeping Toms who are NOT transgender to lie and say they are and enter the bathroom of the opposite sex.

Twice, I’ve had gay Peeping Toms peek in on me while using the toilet while behind the stall. I was violated twice.

HOWEVER, as bad as my experience was, gay men are a small minority of the population. There are a greater number of hetrosexual Peeping Toms than homosexual ones.

By legally allowing transgender people to use whatever bathroom they feel like it allows Peeping Toms easier access to female bathrooms because they can have easier cover by claiming that they are transgender.

Plus, I’m not even going to start discussing transgenders like Bruce Jenner who is still attracted to women and who latest reports claim is thinking about becoming a man again in a few years.

Before all of this… if a transgendered man (dressed like a women) used the women’s room, few if any would notice and it wasn’t a big deal.

However, now that they have forced this upon schools… you will have the number of Peeping Toms increase. All a perv needs to do is walk in the girls locker room and claim he’s transgendered and the school won’t be able to do anything about it.

I can see it now:

School Principal: “why were you showering in the girls locker room”
male student: “because I’m a girl stuck in a boy’s body who likes to dress like a boy”

boom… nothing the school can do.

This is what we fear. We fear the unintended consequences which will be drastic, all because of a tiny percentage of the population, which locals should be handle on their own.

God Bless

The GOP can’t use gay marriage as an issue because it’s settled. They can’t really use abortion anymore because their abortion legislation has reached and probably passed the limits in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. This is the next issue for the base to rally around.

well said!

Democrats are the ones who are making this an issue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.