Scientists are planning to march on Washington. Here's why

“Scientists are planning to march on Washington. Here’s why” at theguardian.com/science/blog/2017/jan/27/scientists-are-planning-to-march-on-washington-heres-why

“Amid growing concerns over the anti-science stance of the Trump administration, I spoke to US scientists planning to join the March for Science…
Scientists in the United States are mobilising to organise a March for Science. What originated online as a discussion about how to push back against the anti-science stance of Donald Trump’s administration rapidly gathered support from concerned scientists and non-scientists alike. A march on Washington similar to the Women’s March was proposed, and within 24 hours the group’s Twitter account had gained an additional 124,000 followers. Over half a million people have also joined a new Facebook page, which has become a hive of comments, suggestions and coordination. An event in the US capital is planned for March, with activities occurring in other countries…”

I will be joining.*

*Not a scientist. Just support facts, reason and science.

ha ha ha. I doubt it.

Easy to ignore. So what a few scientist show up.

Anyone taken in by this shows themselves to be a “useful idiot” for the left to literally put on parade for all to see.

This astroturf march’s website was created before Trump was even inaugurated. It’s clearly political and has zero to do with science. Scientists do not work this way and this planned march is a political hijacking of science.

Scientists do not take positions based on knee jerk, emotional basis. If any of them do, you can be assured that they are motivated by politics, promotion, or prestige. Non of which has a place in science. I’m looking at you Neil Degrasse Tyson.

The way things are going, I wouldn’t be surprised in say, six months, to see the Alliance of one armed left handed circus jugglers, sword swallowers, and tightrope walkers" march on Washington to protest the lack of federal support for something or another or some imaginary grievance. .

It’s getting crazy out there folks!

Just more evidence that “Science” is no longer an objective search for observable facts, but an ugly cross between a political stance and a religion.

Science is awesome! (My mother has a background in biology). Scientism, on the other hand, is a misuse of science. I find it odd people who fancy themselves logical say something needs to be proven scientifically, which is not a logical position to have. I have never had a problem with the concept of evolution until I had a biology Professor that tried to force Richard Dawkins positions on us. If there was anything that made me doubt evolution, it was that. My overall view on evolution is similar to G.K. Chesterton. I find the creation of the universe and physics to be a bit more interesting. I would fully support a Scientist March on Washington DC only if it included every scientist not just the folks that practice the religion of scientism.

Well put. People do not realize how academia and science are driven by political ideology here in America.

:thumbsup: It certainly is. Everyone should just go protest anything they don’t like or agree with. No one should have to put up with anything they dislike or disagree with. I myself hope to protest against restaurants that add olives (black or green) to my salad. Also, let’s all go protest at the Super Bowl to have it changed to Saturday. :smiley:

I wasn’t able to open the link.Let me guess,this is about global warming,aka climate change,correct?:rolleyes:

Ya know, from 1965 to about 2000 I read “Scintific American” every month as a way to keep up on many fields. But I noticed it had degraded into, well, as you put it above, the religion of scientism. When I discontinued my subscription, a few months later they sent me a letter asking why. I guess they didn’t like my response, detailing that a science journal had no place prostelizing a religion of science Uber alles, and denigrating traditional Christianity as being below scum level, since I never heard back.

I work with some people who have bought into the religion of scientism. That’s their bent, and my own mindset is live and let live.

WRT the march, I expect I’ll ignore it along with coverage of same.

Blessings,
Stephie

It seems more aimed at where a lot of funding is derived from. (It may be time for crowd funding.)

Although this will start with a march, we hope to use this as a starting point to take a stand for science in politics. Slashing funding and restricting scientists from communicating their findings (from tax-funded research!) with the public is absurd and cannot be allowed to stand as policy.

scientistsmarchonwashington.com/

I’m not a scientist but I would go if I could. I support science and I do believe that mankind has caused some of the climate change we are seeing. Therefore, I am opposed to Donald Trump’s anti-science agenda on the matter.

As a scientist, I will not participate in this march.

First of all, this is about easy grant money as much as anything else. These “scientists” are angry that the gravy train is coming to an end.

Second, like any liberal rally, the place will probably be filled litter and garbage

Third, I would be concerned for my personal safety and the safety of my colleagues and students as during the last liberal march several individuals broke countless laws from wearing facemasks (illegal in DC due to terror concerns) and the limousine belonging to Muslim migrant was torched.

The agenda is not “anti-science” and as an environmental scientist I can attest the man-made “climate-change” is very minimal compared to natural forces.

However, if Americans truly want people like me running their lives, homes and farms, then I cannot stop them. It would simply be mandated by a progressive policy. But I guess the “good news” is everyone will have felt good feelings on Facebook for 5 minutes before rolling blackouts or something.

I would also point out that virtue-signaling towards the regressive left will one cold, alone and disappointed.

You’re not a scientist (though you “support” science, which means…uh, I’m not exactly sure what that means), yet you declare that “mankind has caused some of the climate change we are seeing” and oppose President Trump’s “anti-science agenda on the matter.”

If you aren’t a scientist, then how do you arrive at your conclusions?

Yes, I can imagine the scientists at DARPA and NSF taking time out to march.

Trump cant be all that anti science, given the science he needs in military research.

The anti crochet cabal for great grandfathers of peers of the realm with vested interest in Mr Universe could announce a march atm , and the news would be all over it like a pig in mud.

I am beginning to see why the term Fake News is going to enter into popular conscious over the next decade.

On another note, the sale of knee protectors is predicted to go through the roof.

Happy Sunday. Enjoy worship with the Lord

No need to go further (to avoid a non sequitur). The **far ** majority would agree.

Has Trump actually stated he’s going to cut science funding?

If so, which fields of science?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.