Scientists: Humans should thank ancient Scottish fish for joy of sex

‘Scientists studying fossils have discovered that the intimate act of sexual intercourse used by humans was pioneered by ancient armoured fishes, called placoderms, about 385 million years ago in Scotland.’

‘These demonstrate the first use of internal fertilisation and copulation as a reproductive strategy known in the fossil record.’

theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/scientists-humans-should-thank-ancient-scottish-fish-for-joy-of-sex/article21156743/

Fascinating discovery and to think all of this occurred in good old Scotland !

Very interesting!

Oh, thank you ancient Scottish fish. Thank you for giving us joy. :rolleyes:

Mr. Ancient Scottish fish, my neutered dog says he wishes you were eaten by a shark.:). Sorry. :shrug:

Well, we also know that 4 different species of animals grew wings and took flight independently, completely unrelated to one other. With that knowledge, it’s not hard to imagine that life could have developed internal fertilization and copulation techniques separately, more than once. :shrug:

…more than a dozen times, animals have adapted to “gliding” independently from each other. :shrug:

Indeed, that is exactly what the researchers believe to have happened. According to another source,

Surprisingly, the researchers think this first attempt to reproduce internally was not around for long.

As fish evolved, they reverted back to spawning, in which eggs and sperm to fertilise them are released into the water by female and male creatures respectively. It took another few million years for copulation to make a come-back, reappearing in ancestors of sharks and rays.

Those of us with a juvenile mindset will also be amused that the first known species to engage in copulation was M. dicki.

Where do I send my “thank you” card? C’mon, this is beyond silly! There is no theory too bizarre for evolutionists to believe, apparently. :shrug:

:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.