Scientists Not So Sure 'Doomsday Machine' Won't Destroy World

Perhaps since nobody is as certain as they should be that this is safe, given what’s at stake, they should just stop this madness. When it comes to the entire planet, even the slightest risk should outweigh any possible benefits.

Still worried that the Large Hadron Collider will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth when it’s finally switched on this summer?

Um, well, you may have a point.

Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC, the world’s largest particle collider, and determined that they won’t simply evaporate in a millisecond as had previously been predicted.

Rather, Roberto Casadio of the University of Bologna in Italy and Sergio Fabi and Benjamin Harms of the University of Alabama say mini black holes could exist for much longer — perhaps even more than a second, a relative eternity in particle colliders, where most objects decay much faster.

Under such long-lived conditions, it becomes a race between how fast a black hole can decay — and how fast it can gobble up matter to grow bigger and prevent itself from decaying.

Casadio, Fabi and Harms think the black hole would lose out, and pass through the Earth or out of the atmosphere before it got to be a problem.

“We conclude that … the growth of black holes to catastrophic size does not seem possible. Nonetheless, it remains true that the expected decay times are much longer (and possibly >> 1 second) than is typically predicted by other models,” the three state in a brief paper posted at the scientific discussion Web site ArXiv.org.

FoxNews.com can think of a few other things that didn’t seem possible once — the theory of continental drift, the fact that rocks fall from the sky, the notion that the Earth revolves around the sun, the idea that scientists could be horribly wrong.

We’re also wondering how often the LHC might create individual black holes, since longer-lived ones have a greater chance of merging with each other, and, um, well, see ya.

If the worst comes to pass, and there’s now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we’ve never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html

the theory of continental drift, the fact that rocks fall from the sky, the notion that the Earth revolves around the sun, the idea that scientists could be horribly wrong.

Um… you mean the same scientists that proposed those ideas? & Were constantly being linched by the religious authorities that considered the ideas of heliocentric universe blasphemy?

Whoever said scientists are always right?

Perhaps since nobody is as certain as they should be that this is safe, given what’s at stake, they should just stop this madness. When it comes to the entire planet, even the slightest risk should outweigh any possible benefits.

Oh? So that’s why you’re using all kind of modern equipment & dsipose of products that pollute the environment & could endanger our planet?
I mean when it comes to the entire planet, even the slightest risk should outweigh any possible benefits; we should obviously just sit in one spot & rub two sticks together since otherwise it would endanger us.

Same bunk concern was going on about Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider in 2000 & we still haven’t blown up yet.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Heavy_Ion_Collider

no doubt this will all happen in 2012

Wasn’t the “doomsday machine” some cornucopia looking thing in an old Star Trek episode?

Where’s Captain Kirk when you need 'im?

Perhaps I should have been more specific and posted this:

instead of what I originally posted:

Then my example of Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider still applies.

• The same process that will happen in Large Hadron Collider is going on all the time with cosmic rays & we’re still here & ok. Except with this machine we are recreat this process.

I thought the Doomsday Machine (or was it Doomsday Device?) reared its ugly head in the hilariously blackly humourous Stanley Kubrick movie Dr Strangelove.

Well, at least we won’t have to worry about global warming or the economy any more.

Hopefully nothing happens.

If it does, I’ll have to call Gordon Freeman to deal with it.

For a minute let’s assume this machine will destroy our universe:

WHY AREN’T YOU PEOPLE GLAD??? Wouldn’t it imply the end of the world & the 2nd coming?

If it’s not, then are you implying that this machine can ruin God’s perfect plan prophesized for ages in his own Holy Books?? (machine destroying humanity before God gets to it)

I really don’t get you people…

Oooh… a machine that makes black holes! Just what we need :smiley:

It would be a sad thing for those people who have exercised their free will to reject God and thus will end up in Hell - and Jesus tells us that’s the many, not the few.

That’s certainly nothing to be glad about - I for one would rather they had as long as possible on this earth to come to know and love God and repent. :shrug:

Thank goodness this jerk is finally gone-not you Lilly.

Someone alert Art Bell, The World Is Ending ™

It does raise the question: Can a soul escape from a black hole?

It happens many times a year through cosmic rays at maginitudes much greater than the Large Hadron Collider.

Yeah but does it happen in Switzerland?

Not a good idea. Didn’t you ever see Event Horizon? You know what happened there!

I would certainly think so, from a scientific stand point I’d like to believe that souls and spiritual beings exist outside of this universe and in another dimension separate from ours and since a soul can’t be destroyed except by God perhaps, then a black hole should not have any influence. Otherwise, it’s like asking if you can catch a ghost by using a vacuum.

A soul is of the spiritual universe not the material universe (it has no matter), so forces that affect matter do not affect the soul. This is really a discussion for a different thread in another forum, however, for more information see:

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Soul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.