Scientists try to calm '2012' hysteria

Thank you for the compliment. See you in 2013. :wink:

Isn’t this based on a misinterpretation of the Mayan calendar anyway?

I remember in 1999, people were saying Nostradamus had predicted the world would end on a certain day on a month of that year. The day came and it even got a little space on the front pages of the papers. Of course nothing happened, though I confess I was more than a little nervous. Nostradamus’ quatrains have never actually predicted anything, but have been applied to various events after the fact.

of course Nostradamus’ words were too heavy on figures of speech that people can interpret them to be almost anything depending on what they believe in

Pons and Choy: Both of you are quite mistaken. You have made the assumption that this prediction is based in reality. Of course not. Take a look at my logical and mathematical proofs that the world will end in 2021. If they are not convincing enough, I will manufacture more Brown25 predictions.

All this worry about when…
Not a thought it could happen to them,

As it will for each one of us
But we ignore that, and dwell on this fuss

When it comes our time will be up
The question we should be asking ourselves is-
Then what ?

I look at it this way…

Say the world was going to end in 1012? What if we knew this to be a fact?

I have 13 months left to live… what would I or you do?

shouldn’t we all live as if the world was to end tomorrow?

Please don’t get me wrong here, Honestly I didn’t know I was suppose to be scared until I read this (sarcasim implied) but what if?

You are absolutely correct. The world is going to end in 2010. I revise my previously correct prediction and say with absolute certitude that the world is going to end in 2010, that is unless it ends in 2013 or some other year.

oh darn I guess I only have one month as compared to 13 months. :smiley:

Since predicting is exact and precise science, I clearly state that all of my other exact and correct predictions actually meant the year 2004. Yes, the world actually has ended and we just don’t know it yet. The effects are still catching up with us.

Yup,
It’s been over for a while now.
And we are all in line heading SOMEWHERE.
Oh, look way up ahead, there is a big fork in the road !
Looks like alot of people are going to the right, only a few going to the left.

Hmmmmm.

Yes, the world will end in 2012. I saw the movie trailer. That proves it. I believe it. No more discussion. Now if only the voices in my head would stop telling me, “2034 we’re headed out the door.” Of course this is a true and accurate prediction just like all of my other true and accurate predictions.

Make no mistake about it: these events and times are here to confuse, bewilder, baffle, befuddle & nervously excite you so that your head spins and the scream of the chaos keeps you from hearing the “still, small voice” of the Holy Spirit.

Hi, S4Angel,

You are quite right about living as though our own ‘personal’ end of the world is here - and for us to be prepared.

The only ‘real’ problem with this is that such an approach will never make the cover of the National Enquirer or other supermarket tabloid, never be made into a movie and never get dramatic attention so as get people to part with their money.

In Philippians 4:4-9, St. Paul tells these easily distracted folks,

Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

Maybe we can be a helper like Epaphroditus and by example, move those who are so distracted about end-of-the-world commotion to a calmer approach towards their own personal and final realities.

God bless

I have figured it out 2012 I have done my own research on this matter and it makes sense. I am from Ca. USA four years ago I have traveled to the Philippines and gazed at the stars I notice that the stars in CA. and the stars in the Philippines looked the same at night. Same big dipper same small dipper same place. I believe that they were counting the major stars in the astronomical chart and it leads up to 2012 think about it remember they didn’t have high power telescopes then so they can only see as far as the eye can see. OK if you look at the number 2012 the number 12 is the month of December and if you turn the number 12 around it will make the number 21 if you add it together 12/21/2012. I don’t believe it would be the end of days or the end of the world as we know it. Remember these people in the Aztecs, Egypt and China’s calender are seeing the same stars it’s not the end of the world we are looking to find. You must not forget that our Lord Jesus Christ said don’t be fooled by the Devils tricks in creating a world hysteria while he dwells on fear. I believe if you seek you shall find in the Lord anything is possible.

Hi, Jbearfax,

Welcome to CAF! :slight_smile: I think you will find this list to be a real source of information and inspiration.

All of this hype about 2012 does much to sell movies and tabloids - and certainly shakes the weak faith of many. Ultimately, people are very eager to go after the novel and ‘mysterious’…and ignore the realities Christ gave to us.

Hope all goes well your way.

God bless

What me worry? I bought asteroid insurance and magic beans at a reasonable price. Even if the world does end, I’m prepared and I’ll clean up big time. So, perhaps you have seen through my thin veneer of sarcasm. Who cares if the world ends in 2012? I have a life to live.

I was 12 during the 2000 hype and remember how big of a deal that was. Personally I saw more reason to worry then since the Y2K bug was an uncertainty and many systems even 10 years ago were run by computers. Jan 1st 2000 came by and went without the world ending. I see the same thing happening in 2012. After thinking about it for awhile the only scientific way I see the world ending around 2012 would be a global economic meltdown and total anarchy as a result, nuclear war, or a massive solar storm that would knock out all electronics for 6 to 10 years. Even with those scenarios humanity would have the chance to recover as many sci fi movies elaborate.

Of course with the divine you never know as Jesus said you will not know the day or hour. So that would give me even more reason to think God wouldn’t choose such an expected day to end the world.

ends of the world come and ends of the world go. and here i watch the crazy show

Come on, we all know the real reason for the “end of the world” hype: Excuse for an END OF THE WORLD PARTY!!!

Yep, that’s right. All this craze really comes from people’s deep desire to break out the chips and salsa and play the music loud enough to annoy the neighbors!

I thought 2012 EOW (End Of World) was supposed to be on May 8th, not Dec. 21st? Meh, forget it. We’ll just have two parties to be sure, although planning the Dec. 21st one and Christmas at the same time will be a bit rough :wink:

Let’s party like it’s 1999!

Oh, and don’t forget the Linux Y2K bug (in year 2038) :wink: us.rediff.com/money/2005/may/06linux.htm all 32-bit Linux machines going DOWN! :thumbsup:

The Mayan calendar loops. When it ends, it simply restarts again. The thing is, it’s actually off by 200 years. Btw, it’s supposed to be a bad movie as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.