scientology...huh???

i recently paid a visit to the official “church of scientology” website because i just happened to be curious as to what it exactly was. it had a nice cross on it so i thought it was just a regular denomination of christianity. but upon reading a little on what scientology actually was…i was shocked. a religion? sounds more like cheap and watered-down philosophy. i’m still confused as to what they actually believe and, more importantly, why the use a cross? i read about scientology on that website and i could not find one thing about jesus or christianity. can someone please fill me in on this joke known as scientology?

oh and whats the deal with tom cruise advocating for scientology? was he roman catholic at one point?

I too looked them up, and upon reading this site xenu.net/ I am pretty convinced it is not just a wierd life philosophy, but a cult. Very sad that people are being led into this.

I have to laugh because I once went into their “store” (for lack of a better word) and had no idea what they were all about. If you want a comical view of it there’s an episode of South Park that actually talks about it and they run a subtitle “this is what the church actually believes” as they are doing their cartoon rendition of the story of humanity in the church of scientoloy.

On a more serious note, they are historically based on Ron Hubbard’s writings. The layout is similar to the mormans and Joseph Smith (I think that’s the right association). But if you get into it it’s really is a cult. They actually have been sued by the Canadian government for some act, I can’t recall exactly. From what little I know Scientology is big in Hollywood because it really fits in nicely with an absolutely self-centered, “I am God’s gift to the world” mentality. If you google it you will find a lot of sites saying different things, but it really is something that one should stay away from.

I highly recommend A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atak. It compiles a lot of evidence about Hubbard and gives a good peek into how the scientologists operate.

Just because they have a cross-like symbol doesn’t mean they are compatible with Christianity. In fact, there is some evidence that the founder, L. Ron Hubbard, took that symbol from the satanic cross. If you look at Scientology’s cross, it has a smaller “x” in front of the cross. It is the same as a Satanic cross which symbolizes the "x"ing out of Christianity. L. Ron Hubbard is known to have associated with Aleister Crawley, so beware.

In my younger years I did date someone who was a Scientologist. He tried to get me to join with alot of talk about how it can enhance your faith and so on. Their beliefs are not compatible with Christianity no matter what they say in the beginning. They start off finding your “ruin”, that which makes you unhappy about your present life. If you are struggling with relationships or jobs, anything, they hone in on it and tell you how everthing can be fixed if you just learn to communicate. Their early courses are about learning communication. WHat they dont’ tell you is they use cult-indoctrination tactics, this can all be found on www.xenu.net. My ex-boyfriend told me about this, though he thought he was making it sound fun so I would want to join. I knew it was dangerous, though. Things like sitting and not being able to blink. If you blink, you are told “flunk” and have to start over. They think, according to my ex-boyfriend, this teaches you to “be there”, the first stage of communication. In fact, it can put you in a state where your critical thinking skills are diminished and you are more apt to take on their world-view that we are gods trapped in our physical bodies and need Scientology’s training to learn to break free of the physical trap. As you progress through their classes, more and more things are subtly introduced, such as the belief that only Scientology can save mankind. How is this compatible with Christianity??? They’ll start off saying it is, but gradually switch things over until you come into alignment with their thinking.

There is so much more to say about this group, but you can find alot of info on the www.xenu.net website.

It is a religion made up by a science fiction writer, who once joked, if you want to get rich, make up your own religion.

apologeticsindex.org/s04.html

[quote=Daniel Marsh]It is a religion made up by a science fiction writer, who once joked, if you want to get rich, make up your own religion.

[/quote]

I remember reading that in an article by him long ago in Astounding Science Fiction, or a similar pulp.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]It is a religion made up by a science fiction writer, who once joked, if you want to get rich, make up your own religion.

[/quote]

Yes, Ron Hubbard decided there was more money to be made in starting his own religion than in writing science fiction. But perhaps he combined both into one.

And it is an expensive religion.

Hmmm, maybe we could promote Scientology to Bin Laden, so that he too could be “clear.”

Don’t they believe in aliens? yiu know, little green men? :smiley:

<< Don’t they believe in aliens? yiu know, little green men? >>

Not necessarily green, but they’ve had babies

The most juiciest stuff with audio on this page:

Catholicism, Scientology, and L. Ron Hubbard

Phil P

The “Church of Scientology” has it’s own Bible.

It’s Called “Dianetics”

I have only read on book by L. Ron Hubbard and that was “Battlefield Earth” Excellent 1100 page book of science fiction.

[quote=JoeyWarren]The “Church of Scientology” has it’s own Bible.

It’s Called “Dianetics”

I have only read on book by L. Ron Hubbard and that was “Battlefield Earth” Excellent 1100 page book of science fiction.
[/quote]

Yes, as I understand it, Hubbard started it as a joke. The book Dianetics he wrote in the '50’s which is a mix of science fiction and pop psychology of the time, which has largely been debunked by modern mental health, which is why Tom Cruise is so against psychiatry- for any of their teachings to hold water, you basically have to reject what we know about the brain, the mind, emotions, human development, mental health treatment, faith and moral development, etc.

The process they use to make you “clear” (enlightened, fully evolved, whatever) is called “auditing” which is a version of the out-dated Freudian psychoanalysis performed by “church members” who are trained in the methods of indoctrinating you into their belief system. This requires literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in donations for different stages of “auditing” until you get to “clear.” One could easily expect to spend fifty to a hundred thousand dollars or more in the process.

Their teachings get so bizarre its almost as if Hubbard were seeing how for these poor saps would follow something that was simply absurd. I agree it is a cult, but it is also a tax shelter. They have battled the IRS for decades about tax exempt status. Word has it Hubbard lived on a yacht with young boys and would have people “bathe” him.

Oh, and it is VERY anti-Christian. Hubbard in the “deeper” teachings debunks Christ and just about any other religion that has some semblance of sense, but he had a particular aversion to Christ, and considered Satanist Aliester Crowley a good friend.

They start you off with the Dianetics book, then if you give them ANY hint of your existence, they will send you their magazine and call you on the phone (it has been 15 years since I read the book and they still send their magazine to my old address). The magazine is called “Celebrity” and they usually feature some “C” list enterntainer or musician on the cover. It’s usually filled with **** Hubbard wrote and have huge ads for different “cleansing” programs that you can go to that are in the most beautiful places, like Hawaii, etc (which you have to pay out the whazoo for) but all of that is to tempt you to come “join them” so to speak.

Joseph Smith and the magic salamander make more sense to me that this junk.

RWD - Re Their teachings get so bizarre its almost as if Hubbard were seeing how for these poor saps would follow something that was simply absurd.

Maybe it is an experiment to prove Chesterton’s contention that one who has ceased to believe in God will believe in anything. :wink:

[quote=Joe Kelley]RWD - Re Their teachings get so bizarre its almost as if Hubbard were seeing how for these poor saps would follow something that was simply absurd.

Maybe it is an experiment to prove Chesterton’s contention that one who has ceased to believe in God will believe in anything. :wink:

[/quote]

That’s a great point. I think Hubbard would have made P.T. Barnum very proud.

Dianetics, i read that several years ago, it’s a total waste.

sciemtology is just a cult, you have to pay alot of money to get to the point that you’re “clear”, then you go to the OT levels, which cost even more

when u get high enough, like OT-3 or so, you find out that you’re made up of biological things called “thebans” from a space war long ago.

initiation iinto scientology is composed of brainwashing and self-hypnotic techniques, they’ll make you argue with a glass of water

and they work you like a slave, it’s no religon, just a questionable business.

horab << they’ll make you argue with a glass of water >>

You are half empty !

Not ! I am Half Full !

Phil P

[quote=PhilVaz]horab << they’ll make you argue with a glass of water >>

You are half empty !

Not ! I am Half Full !

Phil P
[/quote]

exactly, you do this optimist/pessimist thing alone and then sometimes they put a sciencetology officer in the room who’ll argue with you while you’re arguing with the glass of water.

i’d say it’s both half-empty and half-ull, almost exactly

assuming it’s water, of course

[quote=PhilVaz]horab << they’ll make you argue with a glass of water >>

You are half empty !

Not ! I am Half Full !

Phil P
[/quote]

Either way we can all agree that the glass is too big. :smiley:

I read an interview given by Hubbard’s son to a known magazine. Do an internet search on it. Hubbard Jr. – who had a failing out with Sci hierachy after his father’s death, his exposures an embarrasmmet-- said in this interview that his father practiced dark cermeonial magic during his childhood and adolescence, used him in them. Hubbard Sr. was an intellectual Satanist influenced by Crowley and the OTO ( Crowley himself died a broken down junkie.) Hubbard Sr. liked to use magic to “crack heads” psychologically. He created Scientology to swindle people, for money, and Hubbard Jr. himself admitted this, as well as being a con artist himself, since it was part of the family’s business. I also read somewhere that Hubbard Sr. died with a
psychiatric tranquilizer in his blood system, ironic considering how he hated psychiatrists. Hubbard Sr. was a pathological liar and probably demon possessed. Beware, if you play with Satan,
you play with fire.

This is an interview with Hubbard’s son:

rickross.com/reference/scientology/scien240.html

or

lermanet.com/scientologynews/penthouse-LRonHubbardJr-interview-1983.htm

Hubbard Sr. was a evil cultist man who was into the occult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.