Scores of Russian Gays Are Seeking Asylum in US

Excerpt: Some of the article is intense.

**Scores of Russian Gays Are Seeking Asylum in US **

There are no firm statistics on the number of gay Russian asylum seekers; U.S. government agencies that handle applications do not report such details. However, the Department of Homeland Security’s latest figures show that overall applications for asylum by Russians totaled 969 in the 2014 fiscal year, up 34 percent from 2012.

The increase is due in part to the worsening anti-gay climate in Russia, according to Immigration Equality, a New York-based organization which provides legal services for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender immigrants.

The organization says the number of inquiries it received from gay Russians seeking U.S. asylum has risen from 68 in 2012 to 127 in 2013 and 161 through Oct. 30 of this year. During that period, gay-rights gatherings in Russia were frequently targeted by assailants, and the parliament passed a law targeting “gay propaganda” that was widely viewed as a means of deterring gay activism.

Read more at: abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/scores-russian-gays-seeking-asylum-us-27251438

For civil discussion. I usually don’t participate in these kinds of threads that seem popular but saw this article earlier and decided it probably deserved to be posted.

I understand your logic.

These numbers actually seem low. My guess is there are many more too fearful to come forward. As mentioned in the article, they leave much behind. It must be a difficult decision to “leave children behind”.
Some of those fleeing must be married.

So if some are fleeing and leaving children behind, they must be married. That would definitely not be a same sex marriage they are leaving behind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.