Scotland’s bishops call for ‘courageous steps’ toward nuclear disarmament [CWN]

As lawmakers in the United Kingdom prepare to debate the future of the nation’s submarine missile fleet, Scotland’s bishops called upon Parliament to take “decisive and courageous steps” toward nuclear disarmament.

More…

Easy for them to say, when they know that their country lies behind the US nuclear shield anyhow.

Sure let’s disarm. When we see the Russians and Chinese do the same.

People say that the nuclear bomb is useless. It is one of the most useful weapons there is, because it prevents world wars, which is infinitely better than winning them.

ICXC NIKA

No one wins in war, especially nuclear. We all lose. War is rarely necessary, always evil.
And yes one country will have to disarm first, we can’t continue this standoff

I don’t trust China and Russia.

Should they trust us? A trump presidency would only make the world less safe and trusting

Courageous only because the know the US has got their back

I remember, long ago, when Reagan and Gorbachev had an arms limitation summit meeting. Reagan shocked Gobachev with his “zero option” proposal; that is, both countries would simultaneously get rid of all nuclear arms.

Gorbachev was flabbergasted and hemmed and hawed his way out of it. I recall also that the Patriarch of Russia’s Orthodox Church called Putin’s nukes “…the breastplate of Orthodoxy”.

No sense worrying about getting rid of nukes. Shouldn’t happen without the potential adversaries doing the same, which means it won’t happen.

The Tangerine Tyrant is gonna end up caddying for Hillary.

Now, whether her rule will be any better for world peace, I’ve no way to know.

ICXC NIKA

Libya, Syria, Iraq and Egypt are pretty good indicators.

I recall also that the Patriarch of Russia’s Orthodox Church called Putin’s nukes “…the breastplate of Orthodoxy”.

That’s a tragic remark given that he must have known those weapons would be used, if ever, against other Christian nations.

With remarks like that, we can forget about Christian reunion anytime before the next ice age.

ICXC NIKA

They may need nuclear weapons to battle aliens though.

Nuclear weapon construction, maintenance and deployment are expensive issues. And yes, deterrence is better than war, but the “New START” treaty aims to keep things going. Economic conditions worldwide means the militaries of the major powers and those nations that have nuclear weapons, must plan wisely. Even low yield nuclear weapons are not a solution. But the national conversation in the US is rarely covered by the media, and the general public has little apparent interest in it.

brookings.edu/research/opinions/2016/02/05-russian-military-modernization-us-response-pifer

Assuming no nuclear weapons, conventional warfare can be as deadly. However, as drones, unmanned bombers, land vehicles and even armed robots (no, not the Terminator but small, tracked vehicles with multiple weapon systems) come online, the potential for World War II - scale destruction exists. If deployed properly, and with real-time target data and GPS, civilian casualties may drop below World War II levels since only combatants and military hardware and support systems will be the targets. Even laser weapons are being deployed, along with EMP weapons, which could damage military electronics in some situations.

I pray for Peace and hope that the major nuclear powers reconsider.

"New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) (Russian: СНВ-III, SNV-III) is a nuclear arms reduction treaty between the United States of America and the Russian Federation with the formal name of Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms. It was signed on 8 April 2010 in Prague,[3][4] and, after ratification,[5][6] entered into force on 5 February 2011.[1] It is expected to last at least until 2021.

"New START replaced the Treaty of Moscow (SORT), which was due to expire in December 2012. In terms of name, it is a follow-up to the START I treaty, which expired in December 2009, the proposed START II treaty, which never entered into force, and the START III treaty, for which negotiations were never concluded.

“Under terms of the treaty, the number of strategic nuclear missile launchers will be reduced by half. A new inspection and verification regime will be established, replacing the SORT mechanism. It does not limit the number of operationally inactive stockpiled nuclear warheads that remain in the high thousands in both the Russian and American inventories.[7]”

Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.