Scott Hahn

I watch his shows in EWTN the Swear to God ,and Our Father’s Plan. They are very good and biblical too. But lately I saw not so good post in this forum. Why is that so?

Anyway I plan to buy the books “Lamb’s Supper” and “Hail Holy Queen”

i think he is very intelligent. i think he desires the best for the church and all of God’s people. i think he is human and makes mistakes. i think everything i have read of his, and ever heard him say has been good (although i might not hold to everything he says like it’s scripture…lol which i’m sure he wouldn’t want anyone to do anyway). in short, i think he is an extremely positive force in the church today.

Don’t be distracted by what you’ve read. Dr. Hahn has brought tons of people home to the Church. He’s a spiritual pyromaniac. The one issue that people have taken with him (that I know of) is that he has said that there is a femine aspect to the Holy Spirit that has yet to be explored; that said, he knows that the Holy Spirit is the spouse of Mary and he doesn’t buy into homosexual marriages. Pure spirits do not have genitals, so he’s not claiming that the Holy Spirit is a woman, only that there he believes there is an aspect that is feminine. He also makes clear that this is theological speculation.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]Don’t be distracted by what you’ve read. Dr. Hahn has brought tons of people home to the Church. He’s a spiritual pyromaniac. The one issue that people have taken with him (that I know of) is that he has said that there is a femine aspect to the Holy Spirit that has yet to be explored; that said, he knows that the Holy Spirit is the spouse of Mary and he doesn’t buy into homosexual marriages. Pure spirits do not have genitals, so he’s not claiming that the Holy Spirit is a woman, only that there he believes there is an aspect that is feminine. He also makes clear that this is theological speculation.

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

I was about to write a glowing reccomendation for him… I loved the book he wrote with his wife about his journey into the Catholic Church. But does he really teach that God is the spouse of Mary??? Gads. :confused:

[quote=carol marie]I was about to write a glowing reccomendation for him… I loved the book he wrote with his wife about his journey into the Catholic Church. But does he really teach that God is the spouse of Mary??? Gads. :confused:
[/quote]

Of course he does because it’s the gospel truth, literally… what problem do you have with it maybe we can clear it up?

I was about to write a glowing reccomendation for him… I loved the book he wrote with his wife about his journey into the Catholic Church. But does he really teach that God is the spouse of Mary??? Gads.

The HS as the spouse of Mary is a common reference, I’ve heard it many times before.

Anyway, I like Hahn, his books always explains stuff well, esp. for my RCIA people :)!

Thanks for starting this thread.

I didn’t understand Hahn’s point in Hail Holy Queen about the assumption. He seemed to describe that he found the basis in scripture for a lot about Mary, but he had a hard time explaining to himself about the assumption of Mary. Do I have this correct?

I can’t figure out what convinced him. Any ideas out there?

Scott Hann is a wonderful man that is doing a lot of good for the church.

[quote=Lazerlike42]Of course he does because it’s the gospel truth, literally… what problem do you have with it maybe we can clear it up?
[/quote]

It’s not that I have a problem with it… I’ve just never heard that before. Is it literal… or just figurative… like the Bride is the Church & the Bridegroom is Jesus sort of thing… ???

Are there verses that describe Mary as the wife of God???

Thank you,
CM

[quote=BayCityRickL]Thanks for starting this thread.

I didn’t understand Hahn’s point in Hail Holy Queen about the assumption. He seemed to describe that he found the basis in scripture for a lot about Mary, but he had a hard time explaining to himself about the assumption of Mary. Do I have this correct?

I can’t figure out what convinced him. Any ideas out there?
[/quote]

I had one of his tape sets and I believe that he just submitted to the authority of the Church on that one. I think they are extremely clear in scripture based on Tim Staples’ “All Generations Shall Call Me Blessed” tape set. The cumulative weight of them is strong. I have been meaning to outline the set, but haven’t had time yet. LOL!!!

[quote=carol marie]It’s not that I have a problem with it… I’ve just never heard that before. Is it literal… or just figurative… like the Bride is the Church & the Bridegroom is Jesus sort of thing… ???

Thank you,
CM
[/quote]

It’s not a spouse in the same way as a man and a woman would be, but the Holy Spirit is the spouse of Mary in that Christ was concieved by the Holy Spirit and that Mary dedicated her virginity to God. Just like a nun becomes married to God in a sense, Mary does, only it is more so with Mary considering the virgin birth.

[quote=Franze]Scott Hann is a wonderful man that is doing a lot of good for the church.
[/quote]

I will be happy to second that and he is a Super-Numerary in Opus Dei too…I ve read just about all of his books and have his series of tapes “Our Father’s Plan”…:thumbsup:

[quote=jimmy]It’s not a spouse in the same way as a man and a woman would be, but the Holy Spirit is the spouse of Mary in that Christ was concieved by the Holy Spirit and that Mary dedicated her virginity to God. Just like a nun becomes married to God in a sense, Mary does, only it is more so with Mary considering the virgin birth.
[/quote]

Makes sense. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote=carol marie]It’s not that I have a problem with it… I’ve just never heard that before. Is it literal… or just figurative… like the Bride is the Church & the Bridegroom is Jesus sort of thing… ???

Thank you,
CM
[/quote]

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**503 ** Mary’s virginity manifests God’s absolute initiative in the Incarnation. Jesus has only God as Father. “He was never estranged from the Father because of the human nature which he assumed. . . He is naturally Son of the Father as to his divinity and naturally son of his mother as to his humanity, but properly Son of the Father in both natures.”

505 By his virginal conception, Jesus, the New Adam, ushers in the new birth of children adopted in the Holy Spirit through faith. “How can this be?”[Lk 1:34; cf. Jn 3:9].
Participation in the divine life arises “not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God”[Jn 1:13]. The acceptance of this life is virginal because it is entirely the Spirit’s gift to man. The spousal character of the human vocation in relation to God [Cf. 2 Cor 11:2] is fulfilled perfectly in Mary’s virginal motherhood.

As in many other things, Mary’s unique role in salvation history is a sign which points to a reality also present on our lives.

Here’s a brief snippet I found to help explain this…

We also have to take into consideration that when Mary was told by the archangel Gabriel "Behold, you shall conceive in your womb, and bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus" (Lk 1:31), he also added that this was to come about because "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the Holy one to be born shall be called the Son of God" (Lk 1:35). By stating it in those terms the archangel declared to Mary that God would enter into a marital relationship with her, causing her to conceive His Son in her womb, For "to lay one's power <(reshuth)> over a woman" <(Targum to Dt> 21:4) was a euphemism for "to have a marital relationship with her." Likewise "to overshadow" (Lk 1:35) by spreading the "wing" or "cloak" over a woman was another euphemism for marital relations. Thus, the rabbis commented <(Midrash Genesis Rabbah> 39.7; 3.9) that Ruth was chaste in her wording when she asked Boaz to have marital relations with her by saying to him "I am Ruth you handmaid, spread therefore your cloak ( literally, "wing": over your handmaid for you are my next-of-kin" (Ruth 3:9). , another Aramaic-Hebrew word for cloak, is derived from = shadow. Thus, "to spread one's cloak <(tallith)> over a woman" means to cohabit with her <(Kiddushin> 18b, see also . Did not the Lord say to His bride Israel: "I am married to you" (Jr 3:14) and "your Maker is your husband"? (Is 54-5:5; Jr 31:32)? And what is more intimate than what the Lord said to His bride: "You developed, you grew, you came to full womanhood; your breasts became firm and your hair grew... you were naked... and I saw that you were now old enough for love so I spread my cloak over you... I gave you My oath, I entered into a covenant with you and you became Mine, says the Lord God" (Ezk 16:7, 8).

God Bless,
RyanL

Which of his books do you use for RCIA?

[quote=Annunciata]I will be happy to second that and he is a Super-Numerary in Opus Dei too…I ve read just about all of his books and have his series of tapes “Our Father’s Plan”…:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I didn´t know that, Annunciata, it´s amazing :smiley:

I read the Life story of Scott Hahn. It is really good. From a devout protestant and also a critic of CC still he found out that the teachings of the CC is the truth.

I credit Hahn’s conversion story with the lighting of my spiritual fire. He is my favorite of any of the Catholic apologists. He intertwines incredible knowledge with an unbelievable and genuine love for people. In other words, he not only talks the talk, but walks the walk as well.

[quote=Franze]I didn´t know that, Annunciata, it´s amazing :smiley:
[/quote]

that’s good, no wonder Opus Dei is mentioned twice in his book Rome Sweet Home.

For me it’s really providential that I went to an Opus Dei school here in the Philippines. I studied the whole Catechism of the Catholic Church! in my Theology classes. They are tremendously loyal to the teachings of the RCC.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.