Scottish independence: Jim Murphy suspends campaign tour

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28986714

**Labour MP Jim Murphy has suspended his Scotland-wide tour ahead of the independence referendum, citing “co-ordinated abuse” from “Yes” voters.

Mr Murphy, who was hit by eggs on Thursday, claimed the Yes Scotland campaign was organising “mobs” to intimidate him and undecided voters.**

The campaign for independence condemned “all forms” of abusive behaviour.

Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond and Prime Minister David Cameron also spoke out against the egg attack.

Mr Murphy, the shadow international development secretary, has been on his 100 Towns in 100 Days tour, on behalf of the Better Together campaign to keep the Union.

After being egged while speaking in Kirkcaldy, Fife, the Scottish MP said he was suspending the tour for 72 hours to take police advice on the safety of continuing.

In the meantime, he also called on “Yes” campaigners to “call off their attack mobs”.

Mr Murphy said his claims had been backed up by footage released by Better Together, which the campaign described as a compilation of several 100 Towns in 100 Days events, including dates in Ayr, Motherwell and Glasgow.

In the footage, the MP is seen being loudly jeered by members of the public, some of whom accuse him of being a “traitor”, “parasite”, “terrorist” and “quisling”.

Mr Murphy told the BBC the first 70 dates of his tour had been “good fun” and “passionate”, but recently had taken a “sinister turn for the worse”.

“In the past 10 days or so, the Yes Scotland campaign has organised mobs to turn up at every meeting that I’m taking part in to try and silence undecided voters and to try and intimidate me,” said the Scottish MP, who pointed to evidence on social media sites to support his claims.

Can’t sat I’m at all surprised by this vile behaviour from the Nationalists. :o

Consider this image from the Yes campaign “mob”, the latest positive slogan from the Nationalists:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvJbXOMIQAEbdEI.jpg:large

And why is he being attacked by the Scottish Nationalists so vilely for simply expressing his views and campaigning?

He was brought up in Cape Town in South Africa but the real reason is apparently because he was Chair (2001–2002) of Labour Friends of Israel, which makes him a “war criminal” in their eyes.

None of this has anything to do with the Scottish question.

I am not familiar with events surrounding these incidents, so I may be off-base with this comment. However, generally speaking, people who feel most passionately about an issue sometimes let their passions get the better of them. This makes differences in politics and religion difficult to discuss.

I am a little curious about the photo in post #2. The man in the foreground has his arm raised, with his index finger touching the corner of his mouth. Is that a gesture which has meaning?

Wow. And this is 50% of Scotland? Maybe secession isn’t such a bad thing after all. Every cloud has its silver lining…:wink:

He’s holding his mouth so it doesn’t fall off like their votes will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.