Scottish Labour’s bid to scrap anti-bigotry football legislation fails but candidate for leadership vows to make it a priority

The Scottish Government yesterday quashed an attempt at Holyrood to repeal the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act.

However, Catholic MP Jim Murphy, one of the candidates to lead the Scottish Labour Party, says getting rid of the controversial Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) remains a top priority

He said repealing the bill would be done ‘right away’ should he become First Minister.

Full report: sconews.co.uk/news/41287/scottish-labours-bid-to-scrap-anti-bigotry-legislation-fails/

Any more background on this?

What does the law say? Why are Labour and the Catholics opposed?

So why do the Scotts care what the name of the Washington Football team is?

You play football in America now, I thought you had that bizarre meandering game where a lot of blokes dress up in padding (which would have been laughed at on a rugby field in my youth) and clash against each other.

Violence and bigotry at football games in Scotland between Celtic and Rangers has long been a problem with many matches been flashpoints for violence.

My wife is Welsh-she was raised in Aberdare and has the same opinion of American Football that you do!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.