Scriptural Basis for Pets going/not going to heaven?

This question was asked in Jan 07 but under Ask an Apologist, so I wanted to ask it here and open it for discussion, as I see Bible references supporting the view that pets do go to heaven, as they are God’s creatures, He loves His creatures. On the other hand, they do not have the same kind of soul we have. But God can do whatever He wants to do, and if we are in heaven and He wants our pets to be there with us, then they will be there. And yet heaven by definition is a place where we are perfectly happy. And having our pets is not necessary for our perfect happiness which we already experience in heaven. So this subject seems to go either way. I will keep searching the Scripture but does anyone have any Bible passages handy? It all depends on what God says about it, not what we think may happen. Meaning that our opinions don’t matter but Scriptural “stances” on it do matter. Thanks in advance.

I have not ever found any scripture that says our pets will be with us in heaven. To date that is;)

My brother read a book called “Heaven” and in the book the man said that the bible does not say one way or the other about pets in heaven but he goes on to say that God loves us so much–wouldnt it be like Him to give us our pets in heaven!!!

I like how he put it.:smiley: Animals dont have a soul like humans but I believe God could very well let us have our pets in heaven.:smiley:

That is my opinion and Im sticking with it:thumbsup: :wink:

What you just said is probably THE most accurate answer available and I appreciate your taking the time to post it. Thanks very much…I think that is about as close as we will get to knowing the answer to this.

:smiley: Your Welcome

I like to think that pets are a manifestation of God’s grace and perhaps personality (in most cases), except maybe for those pets who get their temperment from the pit of hell itself. :eek:

But, scripture is silent on this matter. :shrug:

Scripture actually hints strongly at animals existing beyond their deaths, either in Heaven, or at the very least a part of the new Earth someday.

EDIT: I can’t find it, but there is a psalm somewhere that says that God “saves” both “beast and man,” or something to that effect.

See if you can find it; I’d be interested in looking it up.

Hello and God bless you! :slight_smile:

I think you are speaking of Psalm 36:

From the NAB:
1 For the leader. Of David, the servant of the LORD. 2 Sin directs the heart of the wicked; their eyes are closed to the fear of God. 3 For they live with the delusion: their guilt will not be known and hated. 4 Empty and false are the words of their mouth; they have ceased to be wise and do good. 5 In their beds they hatch plots; they set out on a wicked way; they do not reject evil. 6 LORD, your love reaches to heaven; your fidelity, to the clouds. 7 Your justice is like the highest mountains; your judgments, like the mighty deep; all living creatures you sustain, LORD. 8 How precious is your love, O God! We take refuge in the shadow of your wings. 9 We feast on the rich food of your house; from your delightful stream you give us drink. 10 For with you is the fountain of life, and in your light we see light. 11 Continue your kindness toward your friends, your just defense of the honest heart. 12 Do not let the foot of the proud overtake me, nor the hand of the wicked disturb me. 13 There make the evildoers fall; thrust them down, never to rise.

or from the RSV:

1 Transgression speaks to the wicked deep in his heart; there is no fear of God before his eyes. 2 For he flatters himself in his own eyes that his iniquity cannot be found out and hated. 3 The words of his mouth are mischief and deceit; he has ceased to act wisely and do good. 4 He plots mischief while on his bed; he sets himself in a way that is not good; he spurns not evil. 5 Thy steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens, thy faithfulness to the clouds. 6 Thy righteousness is like the mountains of God, thy judgments are like the great deep; man and beast thou savest, O LORD. 7 How precious is thy steadfast love, O God! The children of men take refuge in the shadow of thy wings. 8 They feast on the abundance of thy house, and thou givest them drink from the river of thy delights. 9 For with thee is the fountain of life; in thy light do we see light. 10 O continue thy steadfast love to those who know thee, and thy salvation to the upright of heart! 11 Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me, nor the hand of the wicked drive me away. 12 There the evildoers lie prostrate, they are thrust down, unable to rise.

Or in the Douay-Rheims, it is Psalm 35:

1 Unto the end, for the servant of God, David himself. 2 The unjust hath said within himself, that he would sin: there is no fear of God before his eyes. 3 For in his sight he hath done deceitfully, that his iniquity may be found unto hatred. 4 The words of his mouth are iniquity and guile: he would not understand that he might do well. 5 He hath devised iniquity on his bed, he hath set himself on every way that is not good: but evil he hath not hated.
3 “Unto hatred”… That is, hateful to God.
6 O Lord, thy mercy is in heaven, and thy truth reacheth, even to the clouds. 7 Thy justice is as the mountains of God, thy judgments are a great deep. Men and beasts thou wilt preserve, O Lord: 8 O how hast thou multiplied thy mercy, O God! But the children of men shall put their trust under the covert of thy wings. 9 They shall be inebriated with the plenty of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the torrent of thy pleasure. 10 For with thee is the fountain of life; and in thy light we shall see light.
11 Extend thy mercy to them that know thee, and thy justice to them that are right in heart. 12 Let not the foot of pride come to me, and let not the hand of the sinner move me. 13 There the workers of iniquity are fallen, they are cast out, and could not stand.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kelly

Thanks. My personal belief is that animals don’t go to Heaven, but we will see all animals again (and plants too) in the second Earth.

I mean, you don’t think the new Earth is just a giant ball of mud, do you?

Animals go to heaven? Why then has the Church never baptized animals?
The idea that animals (or our pets) are in heaven is absent from the stream of Catholic tradition, from the Fathers and theologicans of the Church, ffom the teaching of bishops and popes. I think believing that our pets will end in heaven is a harmless belief, but a belief that will not have any effect on reality, which must be quite otherwise.

I think that this is about the closest thing that you will get in the Bible:

2Ki 2:11 And as they went on, walking and talking together, behold, a fiery chariot and fiery horses parted them both asunder: and Elias went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

While I kind of doubt that our pets go with us, there may be a few exceptions.

Umm, animals don’t have original sin. They’re only fallen in the sense that all of creation shared man’s fate when our first parents rebelled.

In fact, animals glorify God in all they do, because they don’t have any choice in the matter, being of pure instinct.

Matthew 22:30 “At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

Mark 12:25 “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

Since those in Heaven neither marry nor are given in marriage, there is no need for anything of this earth. God is our everything and we will be consumed with utter love and adoration of Him. Pets are an earthly, human concept, as are husbands and wives, according to our Lord. They have been provided, since we need them while on earth.

To have them in Heaven would draw your attention away from the One Who loved you into Creation. It remains understandable why we would want spouses, family and pets in Heaven, since we tend to think as man does, and not as God does. Even that we are to avoid:

Matthew 16:23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

Christ’s peace.

Heaven is a close relationship with God, not a place. Since animals are unable of having a personal relationship with someone, they will not be found in heaven.

Not really ***pure ***instinct, but that is a discussion for a different forum. :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t know that I would be happy without my pets in Heaven. Well, I know I would be happy but I would be even happier if I had my pets in Heaven. I think that since we know that animals will be in Heaven, we know that our pets will likely be there too. Either that or we’ll have new pets.

Isaiah 6:11 (RSV-CE) The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid, and the calf and the lion and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them.

That certainly sounds like pets in Heaven to me, especially since a little child is leading them! :thumbsup:

HI dcb,

When I was little I asked my mother if there would be ice cream in heaven. She answered that if I wanted it, there would be some. Heaven is a state of complete happiness. Therefore we can lack nothing that we wish.

The question is : Would you wish it? Since God contains every good in an infinite measure, I don’t see how we could wish for anything else. Let us not think about heavenly things in an earthl

Verbum

Really? Scripture says:

ECCLESIASTES 3:19-20 Man’s fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath, man has no advantage over the animal.

PSALM 36:6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your judgments are like the great deep; you save humans and animals alike, O LORD.

PSALM 50:10-11 All the animals in the forest are Mine and the cattle on thousands of hills. All the wild birds are Mine and all living things in the fields.

MATTHEW 6:26 Look at the birds flying around . . . your Father in Heaven takes care of them.

PSALM 147:9 He gives animals their food and feeds the young ravens when they call.

I agree, but God is always lavish and superfluous. Prior to the fall, Adam and Eve had God’s love and presence in it’s fullness, yet plants and animals existed for their sake.

I would reccommend that you read the book “There is Eternal Life for Animals” by Nicki Shanahan.

I have recently lost a pet and this book brought me comfort. It is full of biblical references.

When God made a covenant with Noah he said “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you,”

Would God make a covenant with the animals if they were not important to him?

“And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, blessing, and honour, and glory and power be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the lamb for ever and ever.” REVELATION 5:13

*“And **all flesh **shall see the salvation of God.”*LUKE 3:6

Notice it doesn’t say “all man” or “all of mankind”.

"*Let **everything that hath breath *praise the Lord" PSALM 150:6

The bible is full of references to animals, and it is clear that God loves them. We can learn a lot about unconditional love from animals, as anybody who has had a pet can tell you. God gave us dominion over the animals and they are a great gift to us.

I know in my heart that animals go to heaven, as I have seen with my own eyes that they are capable of great love. Knowing something in my heart is not proof, but I have no proof that God exists either. I simply believe.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God." LUKE 12:6, MATTHEW 10:29

Check out www.eternalanimals.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.