Scriptural Evidence for the Role of Works

Would 1 Cor 12:6 be a Scriptural example of the fact that works do play a role in our salvation?

"There are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone." (1 Cor 12:6 NAB)

It reminds me of a similar passage.

"For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them" (Eph 2:10 NAB)

Thoughts?

[quote="tdmavens, post:1, topic:310806"]
Would 1 Cor 12:6 be a Scriptural example of the fact that works do play a role in our salvation?

"There are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone." (1 Cor 12:6 NAB)

It reminds me of a similar passage.

"For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them" (Eph 2:10 NAB)

Thoughts?

[/quote]

Read James 2:14-26 (So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead).

Thanks, CalCatholic.

That's definitely another key verse to defending the Catholic position.

What did you think of the first one I posted (1 Cor 12:6), though? Yea or Nay?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
16 All scripture is inspired by God and[a] profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,** 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Paul sprinkles the expectation of good works throughout his letters. Go here and search "works" We are not speaking of his condemnation of the "works of the law" which is Old Testament matter. We are talking about the works of charity, which are expected of each Christian.**

The very previous verse of Eph 2:10 doesn’t agree with Salvation by Grace + works.

It is not only enough to show some verses which seems to tell, we are saved by works also, but it is also needed to disprove every verse which seems to suggest the opposite like the following.

Quote:
Rom 3:28
For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
Quote:
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
Quote:
Rom 11:6
And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
Quote:
Acts 16:30-31
30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
Quote:
Col 2:10
In Christ you have been brought to fullness.
Quote:
Heb 10:14
For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

A possible explanation which I also agree about James 2 is found in

defendingcontending.com/2011/01/17/if-james-contradicts-paul-then-james-also-contradicted-himself/

We are saved by Faith and Faith alone which produces work.
thoghts?

[quote="VoiceOfBible, post:5, topic:310806"]
The very previous verse of Eph 2:10 doesn't agree with Salvation by Grace + works. We are saved by Faith and Faith alone which produces work.
thoghts?

[/quote]

Faith and works are inseparable. Are we saved by Romans 3:28? Was Paul crucified for us? Paul says that love/charity is greater than faith 1 Corinthians 13:13). James says that faith without works of charity is dead. Do we really expect to enter the Kingdom of heaven with dead faith?

Galatians 5:6
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love.

Read the parable of the talents Matthew 25:14-30. We have been given talents. The expectation is that we will do something with them. The Master expects, and demands an increase (Luke 12:48). That takes work in addition to faith.

Works are expected, commanded of each Christian, Perhaps it is the reason why Christ died for us.

Tit 2:12-14

For the grace of God has appeared with salvation for all people, 12 instructing us to deny godlessness and worldly lusts and to live in a sensible, righteous, and godly way in the present age, .......... 14 *He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to cleanse for Himself a people for His own possession, eager to do good works. *

2 Corinthians 5:15

15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

Philippians 2:13

13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Even works are promised to those who believe,
But it is not these works which God produce in us which saves us, But it is the result of salvation which is by grace through faith.
The saved person will produce works because of following reason.

1 John 3:9-10

9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Philippians 1:6

6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

2 Corinthians 5:16-17

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here!

Hebrews 8:10

10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

Spirit of God is the one who do this work whom we receive when we believe.

Ephesians 1:13-14

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Galatians 3:2

2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

God is my savior, I am not. All my good works are only filthy rags in the eyes of God.

Isaiah 64:6

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Christ died so that we could work?

[quote="po18guy, post:8, topic:310806"]
Christ died so that we could work?

[/quote]

Yes, He give the Power to overcome sin and witness for him when we believe.
Only Jesus' death made the coming of the Holy Spirit possible.

Acts 1:8

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

This is a typical Protestant problem with Bible interpretation. Despite obvious contradictions to their eisegesis of a Scripture verse, they refuse to acknowledge that their interpretation is wrong. Catholic interpretation of Scripture must always find an interpretation in which Sacred Scripture does not contradict itself. It is inerrant and inspired by the Holy Spirit: how could Truth contradict Truth?

Thus, when Scripture is taken as a whole, faith through grace saves us, but this faith is accompanied by works; otherwise, it is dead faith, essentially paying Christ service with the lips while rejecting Him by the very own freely willed actions. If someone claims he loves his wife, but cheats constantly on her, does he really love her? Is he really faithful? Is a marriage to be properly ordered in this way? Is any good relationship? Not a chance. Faith without Charity, you may as well be pagan.

Mark 7: 6 "And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me"

Faith is more than 'proclaiming Christ' with our lips. It is living His Word as He commanded.

John 14: 15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

[quote="VoiceOfBible, post:5, topic:310806"]
The very previous verse of Eph 2:10 doesn't agree with Salvation by Grace + works.

It is not only enough to show some verses which seems to tell, we are saved by works also, but it is also needed to disprove every verse which seems to suggest the opposite like the following.

Quote:
Rom 3:28
For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
Quote:
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
Quote:
Rom 11:6
And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
Quote:
Acts 16:30-31
30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
Quote:
Col 2:10
In Christ you have been brought to fullness.
Quote:
Heb 10:14
For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

A possible explanation which I also agree about James 2 is found in

defendingcontending.com/2011/01/17/if-james-contradicts-paul-then-james-also-contradicted-himself/

We are saved by Faith and Faith alone which produces work.
thoghts?

[/quote]

Faith is initially a pure gift without works. And this is because we are not holy and therefore cannot merit that FIRST gift of faith by God. And this is what the CC teaches. It also holds for all, in the O.T. and N.T. times.

If someone is without faith, and suddenly God moves this person to believe, that is the very first act of faith and belief. This cannot be obtained by good works, but only thru God's goodness of opening the person's mind to the truth for the very first time. It is God's pure gift.

But after that initial gift of belief from God, then the person must respond to his faith in God by doing the will of God, and this is where the acts or works must follow their life in the faith.

And so now Jesus teaches the person of faith how to live it thru parables, stories, and explainations, such as the Good Smaritan, the beatitudes, ....

How do we know when we are in the faith? Jesus explained that to Nichademous when he said, "unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven".

This baptism of water is the recognition that an individual accepts Jesus and all that he teaches, and really begins that person's partnership in the kingdom of heaven. This is the sign that marks that person forever as a child of God and brother in grace to Jesus.
From that moment on they commit themselves to being like Jesus and in Jesus. As St. Paul said, "I must decrease, and he must increase" referring to his likeness and oneness to Jesus.

Just some thoughts.

[quote="fred_conty, post:11, topic:310806"]
Faith is initially a pure gift without works. And this is because we are not holy and therefore cannot merit that FIRST gift of faith by God. And this is what the CC teaches. It also holds for all, in the O.T. and N.T. times.

If someone is without faith, and suddenly God moves this person to believe, that is the very first act of faith and belief. This cannot be obtained by good works, but only thru God's goodness of opening the person's mind to the truth for the very first time. It is God's pure gift.

But after that initial gift of belief from God, then the person must respond to his faith in God by doing the will of God, and this is where the acts or works must follow their life in the faith.

And so now Jesus teaches the person of faith how to live it thru parables, stories, and explainations, such as the Good Smaritan, the beatitudes, ....

How do we know when we are in the faith? Jesus explained that to Nichademous when he said, "unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven".

This baptism of water is the recognition that an individual accepts Jesus and all that he teaches, and really begins that person's partnership in the kingdom of heaven. This is the sign that marks that person forever as a child of God and brother in grace to Jesus.
From that moment on they commit themselves to being like Jesus and in Jesus. As St. Paul said, "I must decrease, and he must increase" referring to his likeness and oneness to Jesus.

Just some thoughts.

[/quote]

[quote="PeaceInChrist, post:10, topic:310806"]

Thus, when Scripture is taken as a whole, faith through grace saves us, but this faith is accompanied by works; otherwise, it is dead faith, essentially paying Christ service with the lips while rejecting Him by the very own freely willed actions. If someone claims he loves his wife, but cheats constantly on her, does he really love her? Is he really faithful? Is a marriage to be properly ordered in this way? Is any good relationship? Not a chance. Faith without Charity, you may as well be pagan.

Mark 7: 6 "And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me"

Faith is more than 'proclaiming Christ' with our lips. It is living His Word as He commanded.

John 14: 15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

[/quote]

Very True

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.