Scriptural Reading Dryness

In the past few weeks I’ve had no motivation to read the Bible, probably because of my work schedule as well as my anxiety. I also think I’m becoming bored with the translations I’m using, even though I like them.

I’m currently using the 1966 Jerusalem Bible for OT reading, New Catholic Version for Psalms reading, and Common English Bible for NT reading. I’ve read through the NT once already so I’m re-reading it a second time. I’m currently reading through the OT for the first time.

It seems I’ve been on the rundown the past few months with regards to anything scripture-related. I’m not really pursuing my Koine Greek studies anymore either.

I have many translations available to me, including Catholic ones. I know the answer to “which is the best Bible to use?” is generally “…the one you’ll read.” But I don’t know which one I want to read. Maybe my problem is not so much the translation I’m using, but the fact that I’m not praying or contemplating what I’m reading; something which is very hard for me to do.

Oddly enough I’m not too crazy about Protestant Bible translations, but I’ve become very interested in the KJV with Deuterocanon (unfortunately, I no longer have my copy of my Oxford KJV with “Apocrypha”) and the NIV. I am familiar with the common mistranslation errors of these two versions. I’m not sure if I actually want to try diving into one or the other though. I’m not a big fan of “thee’s” and “thou’s.” Which is why I find it odd why I’m so tempted to start reading the KJV or especially the Douay-Rheims: Challoner Revision.

If it were up to me I would just try reading the Bible in Greek or Latin, but I am not fluent in those two languages.

I think a good way of immersing myself in scripture and prayer would be to learn how to pray the Liturgy of the Hours using the book “Christian Prayer.” But after having countless people try to explain to me the LOTH I still don’t understand it.

So I don’t know what translation I should continue using or if I should try a new one. Help?

Maybe my problem is not so much the translation I’m using, but the fact that I’m not praying or contemplating what I’m reading; something which is very hard for me to do.

I think you answered your own question. Try saying a rosary after a brief reading (like the daily readings for instance.) You’ll soon get recharged. :slight_smile:

I’m the type of person that gets bored with following a structured system, I have to follow my own route and let my attention span lead the way, which usually jumps here and there and everywhere. I would use what grabs your interest at the moment and not feel obligated to one translation in your private studies. Put some Church Fathers in the mix, you will find that their writings are loaded with tons of Scripture!

Yep, I agree. I read until I start struggling and then I cut back to only the daily readings and possibly lauds and vespers. I turn then to Benedict XVI’s “Jesus of Nazareth series” or something from Fr. Mitch Pacwa. I tend to stick to authors that are biblical scholars and this inspires me to get excited about Scriptures again.

Why not get into a good Bible study like one of the studies from Great Adventure/Jeff Cavins?

biblestudyforcatholics.com

Learning about scripture, new insights and perspectives, always excites me to read.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.