Scriptural rosary - please post your experiences

Hi all -

Even though I’ve been a Catholic only a year, I’ve been praying the rosary off and on for nrealy 40 years. Yet, even with all these rosaries I’ve never prayed a “scriptural rosary” until Thursday night.

I wanted to try praying a rosary with scripture passages, and I even thought of buying that ubiquitous little hardcover book ‘Scriptural Rosary’ that’s in every Catholic bookstore. But I’ve always been happy with the rosary as I’ve prayed it and evolved with it over the years. Plus, I have to admit, I wasn’t thrilled about the additional time it looked like it would take - maybe even an hour. Who has the time it would take?

A few months ago I bought the book “The Rosary for the Holy Souls in Purgatory” by Susan Tassone off of eBay, but when I saw that it was a scriptural rosary, I put it aside. Maybe some evening my husband and I would pick it up and use it. (Translation: When we had nothing else to do.)

Well, I did on Thursday after my husband left for New York City to be with his mother who’s in the hospital. Left here at home to worry and cry, I doubted I would be able to concentrate on praying the rosary which I so badly wanted to pray for my husband and his family.

Enter Susan Tassone and her scriptural rosary! The Luminous Myseries are included and I was enthralled as I prayed through them. It absolutely kep my mind on track and I didn’t want it to be over. I felt as if I were praying at a shrine, or with a Bible scholar, or in the Holy Land - OK, all three. My only remorse was in not trying a scriptural rosay years before. It didn’t even take as long as I expected - about 35 minutes. And worth every second.

OK, that’s my story. What are your scriptural rosary stories? Do you have a favorite book that you use? What are the differences between the myriads of scriptural rosary books available? Do you pray a scriptural rosary everytime or for special needs (such as I had)? I’d love to hear all about it!

Thank you, dearest Blessed Mother, for bringing me a scriptural rosary just when I needed it. Thank you for letting me praise you and Jesus during time of anguish. Thank you, thank you!

Hi Tina :wave: The Scriptural Rosary is AWESOME! :thumbsup:

I’ve actually constructed my own “Rosary” book. It’s in scrapbook form, complete with pictures of each Mystery and passages from the Gospels (concerning each Mystery) and my favorite part… passages from both the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation! These especially support the last two Glorious Mysteries.

It is thrilling to follow along, using Old Testament prophecies concerning both Our Lord and Our Lady. Especially those found in the Book of Isaiah.

I can’t believe how quickly the time goes, when praying the Rosary in this manner. It’s like immersing yourself in the Holy Bible. I love it!

God bless you. :slight_smile:

The little blue Scriptural Rosary book that you see in Catholic bookstores does not have the new Luminous mysteries added by Pope John Paul II in 2002.
I have a little book called Praying the Rosary from Regina Press. What’s nice about this book is that you can use it to pray a scriptural rosary with or without the meditations included in the book. If you do not feel quite ready to pray the scriptural rosary, each set of mysteries is listed separately with a description of each mystery. It has beautiful pictures not included in the older Scriptural Rosary. Unlike the little blue book, it does not have scriptural passages for each Hail Mary.
Besides the pocket size book mentioned, I also have A Scriptural Rosary from New Hope Publications. This 5x8 book includes Meditations for each Hail Mary plus meditations from Pope John Paul II and from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
A couple of parishes have fliers that you can order from Marin Press www.marian.org, telephone 1-800-462-7426. These fliers have scriptural passages for each decade.

Yep, that was my next thought - to make my own. That’s something that occured ot me, but I really want to “get to know” a couple of scriptural rosary formats from different authors first. I also feel I don’t know nearly enough about the Bible . . . but this could be a fantastic way to learn!:smiley:

DebChris - thank you very much for the info on the other books. I will definitely check them out online.

Thank you both!

Please let me know, if you’d like me to share the Scripture passages I use. I’d be more than happy to share them with you.

God bless.

Yes, MarieVeronica - please do share! Maybe someday you’ll publish your scriptural rosary! :slight_smile:

The newer editions of the “little blue book” do include a supplement that includes the Mysteries of Light. I have one in my possession.

Good. Just be sure to check the book and make sure that it has them. I have still seen some in the bookstore that don’t have them.
I like the “little blue book.” The Luminous Mysteries (aka Mysteries of Light) are my favorite.

The blue Scriptural Rosary book that you see in Catholic bookstores DOES have the Luminous Mysteries in it. If it is an older publication, then it wouldn’t have it. But, all the Catholic bookstores I have been in lately do have the book and it includes the Luminous Mysteries.

Peace,

Dorothy

I hadn’t prayed the rosary in years. After I started back to church I dug out my scriptural rosary book out and have used it several times. Without it I have a hard time concentrating. I will look for an updated version with the luminous mysteries. When I pray the scriptural rosary I do so at night before bed and usually do a decade or two each night.

I really like the Scriptural Rosary. Keeps me on track, lessens distractions. It is very meaningful, I think, to have the Scripture reading with each bead. And I don’t think it takes that much longer to say, either.

[quote="tinalewis, post:1, topic:161313"]
Hi all -

Even though I've been a Catholic only a year, I've been praying the rosary off and on for nrealy 40 years. Yet, even with all these rosaries I've never prayed a "scriptural rosary" until Thursday night.

I wanted to try praying a rosary with scripture passages, and I even thought of buying that ubiquitous little hardcover book 'Scriptural Rosary' that's in every Catholic bookstore. But I've always been happy with the rosary as I've prayed it and evolved with it over the years. Plus, I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled about the additional time it looked like it would take - maybe even an hour. Who has the time it would take?

A few months ago I bought the book "The Rosary for the Holy Souls in Purgatory" by Susan Tassone off of eBay, but when I saw that it was a scriptural rosary, I put it aside. Maybe some evening my husband and I would pick it up and use it. (Translation: When we had nothing else to do.)

Well, I did on Thursday after my husband left for New York City to be with his mother who's in the hospital. Left here at home to worry and cry, I doubted I would be able to concentrate on praying the rosary which I so badly wanted to pray for my husband and his family.

Enter Susan Tassone and her scriptural rosary! The Luminous Myseries are included and I was enthralled as I prayed through them. It absolutely kep my mind on track and I didn't want it to be over. I felt as if I were praying at a shrine, or with a Bible scholar, or in the Holy Land - OK, all three. My only remorse was in not trying a scriptural rosay years before. It didn't even take as long as I expected - about 35 minutes. And worth every second.

OK, that's my story. What are your scriptural rosary stories? Do you have a favorite book that you use? What are the differences between the myriads of scriptural rosary books available? Do you pray a scriptural rosary everytime or for special needs (such as I had)? I'd love to hear all about it!

Thank you, dearest Blessed Mother, for bringing me a scriptural rosary just when I needed it. Thank you for letting me praise you and Jesus during time of anguish. Thank you, thank you!

[/quote]

Well I got to this thread a little late, but I also have started to do the scriptural rosary everyday. I bought the little blue scriptural rosary book (which does have the luminous mysteries in it). I like the Jerusalem Bible verses used in this rosary, it is a very prayerful translation. I think this form of the rosary really brings you deeper into the mysteries of Christ without changing the framework of the rosary, it just adds to it! If anyone has thought of trying this form of the rosary, I highly recommend it!!!

I have 3 scriptural Rosary books I like. I rotate the books I use just to help me stay focused on the prayers/mysteries.

The first book is “From Genesis to Revelation: Seven Scriptural Rosaries,” by Christine Haapala. This book does not include the luminous mysteries. I had the pleasure of talking to Mrs. Haapala at a Catholic homeschool event. She said it would be a tremendous undertaking to go back and add the luminous mysteries given the scope of the book. It really is a wonderful resource.

The second book is actually taken partially from the first one. It is called the “Psalter of Jesus and Mary,” and is the section with mediations from the gospels and a verse from each of the 150 psalms in order for the Hail Marys. The newer edition has the luminous mysteries with verses from Proverbs for the Hail Marys. It is a pocket sized book. The illustrations are very beautiful.

The Scriptural rosary book I use is also by Mrs. Haapala. It is called, “The Suffering Servant’s Courage.” It is a wonderful help for getting through difficulties. It has beautiful illustrations from Gustav Dore’s work. The publishing company for all three books is Suffering Servant Scriptorium.

The thought that went into making each scripture fit the mystery is very obvious in these books. I have greatly enjoyed them and find them helpful in keeping my mind on the rosary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.