Scriptural Support for the Focus on Mary

I’m aware of Psalm 45, the Wedding at Cana, the “Woman, behold your son…” scene, the
Woman Clothed with the Sun in Revelations, but that’s about all in the Scriptures that I am
aware of supporting the Catholic focus on Mary.

So just an idle curiosity…is there any other passages in the Bible connected to how
we see Mary as*important, that have contributed to our Mariology? more specifically
parts that are ignored by Protestants?

[RIGHT] *Aside from the obvious, that she is
the Mother of God, of course. :slight_smile:
[/RIGHT]

The mother of the seven sons in 2 Maccabees 7 shows us how Mary encouraged Jesus to complete his mission even though his mission meant death, illustrating her role as co-redemtrix or the “perfect helpmate” spoken of in Genesis 2. 2 Maccabees 7 is amazing to read in light of Mary and Jesus’ faithfulness to his mission. It tells us what Mary was doing at the foot of the cross in John’s Gospel - encouraging her son.

Judith strikes the head of the enemy of Israel in the Book of Judith. In so doing she both fulfills prophecy about a woman striking the head of Satan (Genesis 3) and pointing to it’s ultimate fulfillment in Mary and Jesus.

Queen Esther is another example of the OT pointing us to Mary. Look for the strong women of the Bible.

-Tim-

I think that when you list the passages that honor Mary it illustrates how important she was to the Christians of the apostolic age:

Luke 1:28 – “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!”

Luke 1:28 – “Blessed are you among women!”

Luke 1:42 – “Blessed are you among women!”

Luke 1:45 – “Blessed is she who believed!”

Luke 1:48 – “All generations will call me blessed.”

Luke 1:49 – “For the Almighty has done great things for me.”

Luke 1:43 – “And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”

Luke 1:46 – “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my savior!”

Luke 1:48 – “He has regarded the lowly estate of His handmaid.”

Luke 1:38 – “I am the handmaid of the Lord, let it be done unto me according to thy Word.”

Luke 2:35 – “And a sword will pierce your own soul also, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

Luke 2:19 – “But Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart.”

Luke 2:51 – “And his mother kept all these things in her heart.”

Mark 3:34-35 – “Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.”

John 2:4 – “Jesus said to her, ‘Dear woman, what is that to me and to thee? My hour has not yet come.’ ”

John 2:5 – “His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’ ”

John 19:26-27 – “Woman, behold, your son!” – “Behold, your mother!”

John 19:27 – “And from that hour the disciple took her as his own.”

Micah 5:2-3 – “Therefore he shall give them up until the time when she who is to give birth has borne.”

Acts 1:14 – “All these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.”

Galatians 4:4-5 – “But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law.”

Ephesians 5:31-32 – “ ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ This mystery is a profound one, and I say that it refers to Christ and the Church.”

Revelation 12:1-6 – “And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.” Verse 5: “She brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron.”

Another important thing to note is the Magnificat. In Greek, it is written as a song, and it is one of the only ones in the New Testament. That indicates that the early Christians cared enough about Mary to write a song about her, and St. Luke thought it was important enough to preserve it in his Gospel. That’s a very Catholic attitude toward the mother of the Savior.

“The Glories of Mary” by St. Alphonsus de Liguori is filled with scriptural references concerning Mary from both the OT and NT.

I think it begins in the prophesy in Genisis, enmity between satan and the woman…her seed.

Numbers 30(I think?) describes the instructions for a man honoring a virgin

Samuel 6 describes the Ark of the covenant which Luke corresponds in his gospel.

I Kings 2:13-25 with Bathsheba and Solomon. Yet we must remember the outcome of Adonijah! I dont even understand why he was killed:shrug:… But looking to Mary without a clear obedience to Jesus is foolishness.

Mary treasured all these things (of Jesus) in her heart. Why her over Joseph? He must have too!

The wedding, as you mentioned, is huge! So much allegory!

Rev. 12 is best understood as faithfull Israel, then the Church. Mary is both, yet in a single human girl.

I find

Luke 1:48 – “All generations will call me blessed.”

[LEFT]particularly striking. What do I do to fulfill this Biblical prophecy?
[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.