Scriptural warnings against prohibiting marriage?

In the context of Pope Francis’s election, I was speaking to a smart Evangelical friend about the issue of priestly celibacy. He understands it’s a discipline and not a doctrine or dogma, and said that, “I hope Pope Francis changes that.”

I asked him why and he started to talk about how there is no biblical warrant for it, which seemed like an odd argument to make in that he was taking sola scriptura to an absurd length (i.e., a church can make no rules in addition to explicit scriptural mandates), which of course no Protestant church actually practices, because no church could function that way.

Then he brought something else up: Scripture expressly warns against creating prohibitions to marriage. We had to cut the conversation short there.

Does anyone know what he was referring to?

He needs to substantiate his statement in order for it to carry any weight.

1 Timothy 4:1-5

What Paul is referring to is the forbidding of marriage for ALL. Those who become priests are embracing celibacy voluntarily - they know before becoming priests that celibacy is a requirement. But some converts who are married can become priests.

Ditto Paul's remark about abstinence from foods. That referred to calling certain foods, such as pork, unclean. As Catholics, our only abstinence is periodic. The foods are not unclean, but we refrain from eating them on Fridays as a discipline and penance.

[quote="russwardlow, post:1, topic:323218"]
In the context of Pope Francis's election, I was speaking to a smart Evangelical friend about the issue of priestly celibacy. He understands it's a discipline and not a doctrine or dogma, and said that, "I hope Pope Francis changes that."

I asked him why and he started to talk about how there is no biblical warrant for it, which seemed like an odd argument to make in that he was taking sola scriptura to an absurd length (i.e., a church can make no rules in addition to explicit scriptural mandates), which of course no Protestant church actually practices, because no church could function that way.

Then he brought something else up: Scripture expressly warns against creating prohibitions to marriage. We had to cut the conversation short there.

[/quote]

"Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons. 2These people are hypocrites and liars, and their consciences are dead.

3They will say it is wrong to be married and wrong to eat certain foods." 1st Tim 4:1-3

Most likely this is the passage he is refering to. This scripture passage most likely refers to governments passing laws against marraige. Which has happenedd a few times in the past. such as with st. Valentine.

It could not be refering to the clergy since Jesus, and Paul both say it is better not to marry.

For Jesus said:

"and there are those who renounce marraige for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." Matt.;19-12

Recommending celibacy:

For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it.
Matthew 19:12

Becoming a eunuch for the kingdom of heaven does not mean castration, but voluntary celibacy.

In 1 Corinthians 7:1-34, St. Paul recommends celibacy.

OP, read this:
catholic.com/tracts/celibacy-and-the-priesthood

The Church doesnot forbid Marriage. In fact, the Church regards Marriage so highly as to call it a Sacrament! What the Church DOES do, and then only in the Wetern Rite, is select candidates for the Priesthood from among those who "renounce marriage for the sake of the kingdom"...so their "interests are [not] divided".

Christ spoke about this, as is provided already, and Paul preferred celibacy and taught the benefits of celibacy. (Read the link I posted)

In the context of Pope Francis's election, I was speaking to a smart Evangelical friend about the issue of priestly celibacy. He understands it's a discipline and not a doctrine or dogma, and said that, "I hope Pope Francis changes that."

[/quote]

Sure I do, and that's why I have the following article on my blog. Priestly celibacy is unBiblical. NOT!

I asked him why and he started to talk about how** there is no biblical warrant for it**, which seemed like an odd argument to make in that he was taking sola scriptura to an absurd length (i.e., a church can make no rules in addition to explicit scriptural mandates), which of course no Protestant church actually practices, because no church could function that way.

[/quote]

The Evangelical is arguing against something the Church does not teach.

There is no prohibition against marriage for anyone. The Church does not prohibit marriage. The Church however, assists men to discern whether they are being called by God to the celibate life.

And there is There is a Biblical warrant for it. Bonnie is exactly correct in posts number 3 and 5.

-Tim-

There were heretical sects that held the Gnostic denigration of the flesh. It is their teaching St. Paul is speaking about in his letter to Timothy.

Here is a quote from the online Catholic Encyclopedia on Gnosticism.
....The rule of the god of the Jews must pass away, for the good God calls us to his own immediate service through Christ his Son. We obey the Supreme Deity by abstaining from flesh meat and marriage, and by leading an ascetic life.
Such was the system of Saturninus of Antioch, who taught during the reign of Hadrian (c. A.D. 120). .....

newadvent.org/cathen/06592a.htm (About halfway down, under the section titled "The Syrian School"

If I get a protestant who rails against the Catholic Church for prohibiting marriage for priests, I'll ask them

1) Do you allow two homosexual men or two homosexual women to marry?

If not, you are prohibiting marriage.

2) Do you allow brothers and sisters to marry?

3) Do you allow polygamy/polyandry/polyamory?

4) Do you allow children to marry?

I could go on and on. They prohibit marriage too, so therefore according to their tradition (interpretation of scripture) they are condemned.

But they won't go there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.