Scripture "Code"

The Bible uses numbers and words sort of as “code” or metaphors, etc. For instance, referring to the word, “many,” it actually means most or all. And the number 7, refers to wholeness or entirety, I recall. Is there a listing somewhere with the complete group of numbers of words, and what they actually mean in the Bible? I am surprised there is not a separate category for scripture on this web site, by the way, unless I missed it.

I moved the thread to the sacred scripture sub forum.

1 Like

Interesting question, I found this website: https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=35179

it’s probably incomplete, I’m pretty sure there are symbolic words or numbers on every page of the bible, and that would be an extremely long and complex list!

Interesting to hear 40 used to represent times of trial. I was aware of it as a substitute for an indeterminate amount of time, as in the flood lasted an indeterminate number of days, Christ was in the desert for an indeterminate number of days, etc.

Is it a great idea to throw all of your personal information out on the internet?

1 Like

Thanks. Did not realize that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.