Scripture in Early Church

I’m looking for sources and scholarly resources on how the initial emerging Christian church used the Gospel accounts and the epistles. I’m specifically talking about the first 300 hundreds years. Do we have documentation? Have the Gospels always been given an elevated status? Were Paul’s writings, which are believed to have been written before the Gospels, given more status? Should they be? Other than stating the Gospels are the words of Christ, what explanation do we have for giving them prominence? How did this develop?

Answering all these questions amounts to me writing a book-report sort of thing for you.

There are Patristic writings about all these things, but those are things you can do your own research on.

If you have a specific, singular question, let me know.

Deacon Christopher

This might help, Forming Sacred Scripture, from the Institute of Catholic Culture.

ZP

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.