scripture in the Mass

Hello!
I am looking for a resource that has the words of the Mass and its scriptural references sighted for as many of the parts as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :o)

A book called the Divine Armory has all the biblical references to the words and parts of the Mass.

For the words of the Mass, you could use a small Missal (a Daily Roman Missal is usually fairly extensive in content).

As regards scriptural references,

A) You will find that the words of the Eucharistic Prayers are generally not scriptural because they were developed seperate to scripture (i.e. - they were not composed out of the Bible).

But they would probably have the content of each part of them reflected in scripture somewhere.

B) Some words of some of the prayers of the Mass (Collects, Pefaces etc.) are partly scriptural in their wording, but ultimately they are composed by the Church (either ancient or new). :slight_smile:

In the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil the Great, which is derived from St. James the Apostle, it is basically the same liturgy only as it developed through the first centuries it had to be more organized, so that is what they did. The Liturgy of St. James is still celebrated by the Church today. The liturgical music is very antiquated so it is usually only done once a year in churches on his feast day. However, in the monasteries it is celebrated by many every day. Saying that, in the Divine Liturgy there are over 220 references to Scripture along with the Scriptures that are used in the Epistile and Gospel readings.

Someone reallly went to a lot of reseach to put this list together csbsju.edu/library/internet/theoltgy.html

Archbishop Tawill of blessed memory was an awesome teacher. Here is one of his writings on INTRODUCTION TO THE THEOLOGY OF THE DIVINE LITURGY. Though this is from an Eastern persepctive it should be very helpful also in understanding the Mass.
rongolini.com/deawrshp.htm

Pani Rose

[quote=jlipoth]Hello!
I am looking for a resource that has the words of the Mass and its scriptural references sighted for as many of the parts as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :o)
[/quote]

BIBLICAL OVERVIEW: SACRIFICE OF THE MASS

I’m not sure if you are interested in finding the sources of the prayers for the Mass or just want to know what they are.

If it is the former, in addition to the Biblical sources sited by others, you might want to look online for a Passover Haddadah since some of the prayers are adapted from that ancient service.

I subscribe to “Magnificat,” which comes out every month (two issues for the months of Easter & Christmas). It has all the readings and antiphons & propers, for mass every day of the week, as well as the order of the mass & moring & evening prayer. It does have more , as well. I is only $40.00/year or $70.00/2 years.for more info or to subscribe, (I have nothing to do with the magazine) their web site is www.magnificat.net or you can call (301) 853-6600.

It is really great for daily mass.
:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.