Scripture on Search for Truth

Hello, everybody, I was wondering what the Scriptures say about searching for truth and questioning what you believe. I’m going to look up some verses myself, but I wanted to know if any pop into your mind that you could post.
Thanks,
edarlitrix

"I acknowledged my sin to thee, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD…I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not keep with you. Many are the pangs of the wicked; but steadfast love surrounds him who trusts in the LORD. (Ps 32:5, 8-10)

“And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins” (Lk 1:76, 77)

“I am the way, the truth, and the life” (Jn 14:6)

“Go thy way; for this man is to me a vessel of election” (Acts 9:15) Often times we escape our individualism in our greatest pursuits of truth. Hence, the need to see others as “vessels of election”.

(I censure myself of the avoiding the guardant initiatives to protect my intuition from embracing the mode of the spirit of the world.)

*1 Peter 3:15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence; *

I think the above passage points out the need to study the truths so we understand them well enough to explain and/of defend them.

Psalm 119:155 Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek thy statutes.

I think the above passage shows how important it is to have the right purpose/motive in any search. It must be a search for God’s truth – not what the world says is true; not what we would like to be true; etc.

St. Augustine presented the Church’s faith with a deep grasp of Scripture. He wrote, “For nothing save piety and purity can lead the mind to greater things.” (On the Morals of the Manichaeans, 7)

Then from 1John 4… Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world……………6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Beat me to it! :thumbsup:

Here’s one that comes quickly to mind.

“These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so” (Acts 17:11).

As a result of these people’s open-mindedness and their diligence to check the Scriptures whether what they were hearing was the truth, “many of them believed…” (verse 12).

Author and speaker/evangelical convert Mark P. Shea points out a very interesting aspect of these verses about the noble Bereans. Upon hearing Paul’s preaching (there was no NT at that point), they searched the OT prophets to see if what Paul was speaking of fulfilled the prophets. However, and this is huge: without Paul’s oral preaching, they had no idea that it was Jesus of Nazareth Who was their savior - even though they might have passed by him on a prior ourney to Jerusalem. Paul’s preaching had to reveal the object and fulfillment of the law and the prophets.

Jesus taught his disciples how to search the scriptures:

And he (Jesus) said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are! How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke! Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in all the scriptures. (Luke 24:25-27 NAB)

26 Then an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Get up and go towards the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.’ (This is a wilderness road.)
27 So he got up and went. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury. He had come to Jerusalem to worship
28 and was returning home; seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah.
29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, ‘Go over to this chariot and join it.’
30 So Philip ran up to it and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah. He asked, ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’
31 He replied, ‘How can I, unless someone guides me?’ And he invited Philip to get in and sit beside him.

Acts 8:26-31

This site should answer some of your Bible related questions:
www.catholicbibleanswers.com

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.