Scripture/Patristics/Doctors of the Church on

Losing the Grace of Justification

**Luke 8:13: **“They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.”

John 8:31: “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, ‘If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;’”

2 Peter 2:20: “For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.”

2 Peter 2:21: “For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.”

2 Peter 2:22: “But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.”

2 Timothy 4:7: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:”

John 15:1-2a and 6: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-dresser. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away…If a man abides not in me, he is cast forth as a (dead) branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.”

Romans 11:21-22: “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shall be cut off.”

Hebrews 6:4-6: “For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.”

Matthew 24:13: "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.”

Colossians 1:23a: "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and not be moved away from the hope of the gospel.”

“The branches of the vine. Thus there are branches in the vine, not that they may bestow anything upon the vine, but that they may receive from it the means by which they may live…And by this it is an advantage to the disciples, not to Christ, that each have Christ abiding in him, and that each abide in Christ. For if the branch is cut off, another can sprout forth from the living root; but that which has been cut off, cannot live without the root.” - **Council of Orange, Canon 24 (A.D. 529). **

“Let the inquirer still go on, and say, ‘Why is it that to some who have in good faith worshipped Him He has not given to persevere to the end?’ Why except because he does not speak falsely who says, ‘They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, doubtless they would have continued with us.’ Are there, then, two natures of men? By no means. If there were two natures there would not be any grace, for there would be given a gratuitous deliverance to none if it were paid as a debt to nature. But it seems to men that all who appear good believers ought to receive perseverance to the end. But God has judged it to be better to mingle some who would not persevere with a certain number of His saints, so that those for whom security from temptation in this life is not desirable may not be secure.” - **Augustine, On the Gift of Perseverance, 19 (A.D. 429). **

“It is, indeed, to be wondered at, and greatly to be wondered at, that to some of His own children–whom He has regenerated in Christ–to whom He has given faith, hope, and love, God does not give perseverance also.” - **Augustine, On Rebuke and Grace, 18 (A.D. 427). **

“And, consequently, both those who have not heard the gospel, and those who, having heard it and been changed by it for the better, have not received perseverance, and those who, having heard the gospel, have refused to come to Christ, that is, to believe on Him, since He Himself says, ‘No man cometh unto me, except it were given him of my Father,’ and those who by their tender age were unable to believe, but might be absolved from original sin by the sole layer of regeneration, and yet have not received this laver, and have perished in death: are not made to differ from that lump which it is plain is condemned, as all go from one into condemnation.” - **Augustine, On Rebuke and Grace, 12 (A.D. 427). **

“Let us admonish each other. Let us correct each other, that we may not go to the other world as debtors, and then, needing to borrow of others, suffer the fate of the foolish virgins, and fall from immortal salvation.” - **John Chrysostom, Concerning Statues, 21 (A.D. 387). **

“It is the Spirit then which is in God, and not we viewed in our own selves; and as we are sons and gods because of the Word in us, so we shall be in the Son and in the Father, and we shall be accounted to have become one in Son and in Father, because that that Spirit is in us, which is in the Word which is in the Father. When then a man falls from the Spirit for any wickedness, if he repent upon his fall, the grace remains irrevocably to such as are willing; otherwise he who has fallen is no longer in God (because that Holy Spirit and Paraclete which is in God has deserted him), but the sinner shall be in him to whom he has subjected himself, as took place in Saul’s instance; for the Spirit of God departed from him and an evil spirit was afflicting him.” **Athanasius, Discourse Against the Arians, 3:25 (A.D. 362). **

“Therefore, my beloved, we also have received of the Spirit of Christ, and Christ dwelleth in us, as it is written that the Spirit said this through the month of the Prophet: --I will dwell in them and will walk in them. Therefore let us prepare our temples for the Spirit of Christ, and let us not grieve it that it may not depart from us. Remember the warning that the Apostle gives us:–Grieve not the Holy Spirit whereby ye have been sealed unto the day of redemption. For from baptism do we receive the Spirit of Christ … And whatever man there is that receives the Spirit from the water (of baptism) and grieves it, it departs from him until he dies, and returns according to its nature to Christ, and accuses that man of having grieved it.” - **Aphrahat, Demonstrations, 6:14 (A.D. 345). **

“[T]hat eternal fire has been prepared for him as he apostatized from God of his own free-will, and likewise for all who unrepentant continue in the apostasy, he now blasphemes, by means of such men, the Lord who brings judgment [upon him] as being already condemned, and imputes the guilt of his apostasy to his Maker, not to his own voluntary disposition.” - **Justin Martyr, fragment in Irenaeus’ Against Heresies, 5:26:1 (A.D. 156). **

“And pray ye without ceasing in behalf of other men; for there is hope of the repentance, that they may attain to God. For ‘cannot he that falls arise again, and he may attain to God.’” - **Ignatius of Antioch, To the Ephesians, 10 ( A.D. 110). **

TriuneUnity -
I ask this with all due respect and with no sarcasm:
Are you considering joining Catholic Church?
The reason I ask is that all of these quotes are so very Catholic. This was also the case in another similar thread you started a couple of days ago.

Nope. I believe, over and above those Protestants who hold to “perseverence of the saints” that Christians can fall from salvation. It is an article of faith for us as Lutherans; to hold to “once saved always saved” is a rejection of the consistent witness of Scripture and the Church through her history.

It’s always good every now and again for those Protestants who visit here who do hold to once saved always saved to see this testimony. Where Lutherans and Catholics agree, there’s nothing wrong with showing it, if it’s truth! :rolleyes:

**Got’cha. :wink: **
Just wondering.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.