scripture question

Hi - this may seem silly to some of you, but this one has tripped me up, I think I’m overthinking . . . First of all, precisely where does scripture say ‘spare the rod and spoil the child.’ Also, can you explain this passage for me? Does it mean that to spare discipline on a child will lead to his ruin, basically? Thanks.

Your interpretation is sound. Here are some passages

“He who spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves him corrects him betimes” (Proverbs 13:24) and “Withhold not correction from a child: for if you strike him with the rod, he shall not die. You shall beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell.” (Proverbs 23:13-14)

I think you only need to look around you today at a large section of the youth to see that this is very true. Discipline has been removed from our schools, from our police forces, and in the home. And the results are clear to see. Strong discipline is vital to instill a firm sense of right and wrong in youngsters

This is right. Today, children aren’t disciplined at home, so when they get older they don’t know how to act, so they are put on drugs for “ADHD”.

CDC data show that 4 million American children aged 3 to 17 have been diagnosed with ADD, comprising about 6.5% of the population. Boys are much more likely than girls to have the disorder.

Close to 65% of diagnosed children take stimulant drugs as treatment, though many others without an official diagnosis may also use it, according to federal figures.

When I was a kid (admittedly a long time ago) - nobody was on drugs for ADHD. We were taught how to act, and we knew there were consequences if we got out of line. A visit to a doctor’s office, movie theater, or (unfortunately) church these days shows that a lot of parents’ philosophy of child-rearing seems to be - “let them run wild and pretend it’s not happening.” When the little brats get older, they don’t have any self-control so they’re put on drugs.

That’s what “spare the rod and spoil the child” means, and it’s more true today than ever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.