Scripture References to Mary

I’m looking for all the scriptural references to Mary, whether New Testament or Old Testament, direct or indirect, I’m trying to compile a complete list for my own personal uses. Any verse will be helpful! Thanks

Do you have a concordance? You could look up “Mary” and see what you come up with. There are 54 references to the name Mary not necessarily Mary the mother of Jesus. They are all in the NT.

You could probably do the same on the computer.

Didn’t even think of that. I went to the back of my bible and found this verse related to Mary but I’m confused how it is connected to Mary.
“Daughters of kings are your lovely wives; a princess arrayed in Ophir’s gold comes to stand at your right hand.” Psalm 45:10
I definately don’t understand the connection here.

“I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.” Genesis 3:15

Now in the New standard translation unfortunately, it says ‘HE shall crush thy head’. But it really is supposed to be ‘she (referring to Mary’).

Jesus at the wedding at cana-instead of calling his mother ‘Mary’, he instead calls her ‘woman.’ Why? Well to remind us Christians that SHE was the one spoken of in the old testament. That SHE is the one who shall crush Satan’s Head.

To fulfill this belief, Jesus call his mother ‘woman’ when he was on the cross.
When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. John 19:26 Mary isn’t just ‘woman’, she isn’t just A woman…Mary is** THE** woman.:smiley:

I have no idea either.
This from the Haydock commentary:

Ver. 10-11. Clothing. Hebrew, “in gold of Ophir.” (Haydock) — The Church is spotless, Ephesians v. 26. The attendants of this glorious queen, are the nations converted, or Christian virgins. They are not the maids of Pharao’s daughter, whose marriage was never commended. (Berthier) — House. Paganism, and the observances of the old law. (Berthier) — The Church, and every faithful soul, may be styled the daughter, as well as the spouse of Christ.

Try this:

scripturecatholic.com/blessed_virgin_mary.html

This is great. I hope Janks sees it.

Don’t forget Ezekial 44:1-2.

For $6 you can get 2 mp3 files on the subject by Scott Hahn - both should have plenty of biblical references:

Mary as the new Eve and the Queen of Heaven
lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/products/the_virgin_mary_revealed_through_scripture

Mary as the Ark of the New Covenant
lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/products/discovering_the_biblical_significance_of_mary

I think I have the 2nd one at home on cassette - was pretty good

The Hebrew pronoun, according to Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary, is not gender-specific (it can mean “he,” “she,” or “it.”) The majority of translations follow the usual grammatic pattern of the pronoun refering to the most recent noun - in this case, “her seed.”

Jesus at the wedding at cana-instead of calling his mother ‘Mary’, he instead calls her ‘woman.’ Why? Well to remind us Christians that SHE was the one spoken of in the old testament.

Agreed. Same thing at the Cross - “Woman, behold your son.” - speaking to her role as the New Eve.

That SHE is the one who shall crush Satan’s Head.

not necessarily - and as just pointed out, not necessary for the point to be valid.

To fulfill this belief, Jesus call his mother ‘woman’ when he was on the cross.
When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. John 19:26 Mary isn’t just ‘woman’, she isn’t just A woman…Mary is** THE** woman.:smiley:

What he said . . .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.