Scripture warriors: need help!

I need some help finding a scripture in the New Testament.

I believe the story goes something like this:
Jesus was traveling with at least one of his disciples (I believe it was Peter). On that day, Peter was complaining about a number of things to Jesus (I.e. the Romans, etc). Eventually, Jesus said to Peter: “Peter, you must be the light of the world, not its judge.”

I’ve been trying to find the exact scripture for this. I think that I might have the phrasing wrong, not sure. Does this story sound familiar to anyone? :confused:

Hi Johnny,

The passage about the light of the world is found in the sermon of the mount at Matt. 5

14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. 16 Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

It is not directed at Peter or anyone in particular. There is no episode such as you relate. Perhaps it was in a movie you saw?

Verbum

Could this have come from “Quo Vadis”?

It seems that Pope John Paul II said this to the youth of the world, “You must be the light of the world”.

Or maybe James 4:11 - “Be a Doer of the Law, Not Its Judge”

No, it sounds like you are getting some Gospel quotes mixed together. Those are all from the Gospel but they are from different sections.

Mt 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Mt 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

**Peter complained to Jesus: **

Matthew 19:27 “Peter replied to [Jesus], ‘Look, we’ve given up everything to follow you. What will we get out of it?’”

First of all, thank you all for your comments!

Since I have been unsuccessful at finding this exact scripture, I suspected it might be Hollywood twisting (or reinventing) the actual scripture. Anyway, it’s a great message, is it not?

–I don’t remember it from Quo Vadis. I do remember it from “Jesus of Nazareth”, the TV mini series with Robert Powell, and also, “The Greatest Story Ever Told, with Max von Sydow.

Oh yeah, I remember now:

“You are the Light of the World!
But if that light is under a bushel.
Brrrrrrrrrr, it’s lost something kinda crucial.”

Oh, right. That’s Godspell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.