Scripture = Word of God?

Now don’t get me wrong here. Scripture is God’s Holy Word. It is God breathed. But what I want someone to show me is WOG = Scripture. You see I read the Bible and I see the term scripture used. I also see the term Word of God. But I don’t see where they can be shown from scripture to be equal such that all that is written in scripture contains the whole Word of God. I do see evidence of oral teachings + scripture being the WOG. For instance 2 Thes 2:15 Hold Fast to the TRADITIONS you have recieved, whether by WORD OF MOUTH or in WRITING from us.

Thoughts?

Blessings
:slight_smile:
Thess

Google the “Fundamentalist Revised Version” to find the Truth that ye seek.

don’t bother googling! here’s the link!

catholicoutlook.com/rpv.php

this pretty much sums up everything wrong with fundimentalism.

As Catholics we believe that Holy Scriputre is the INSPIRED Word of God. The True Word was manifest in Jesus Christ.

[quote=RyanL]don’t bother googling! here’s the link!

catholicoutlook.com/rpv.php

this pretty much sums up everything wrong with fundimentalism.
[/quote]

Sidetrack alert:

Dear Ryan L,

Corpus Christi. Brings back memories of my only time going floundering! What a thing to wade through lagoons at night with lanterns and gigs! Didn’t catch even as much as a Stingray, but it was great fun with my dad and cousin!

Alan

Anyone else care to comment on this?

The Word of God is Christ Jesus; He is the eternal Word that God communicated to men in One Utterance. The Scriptures are God-breathed testimonial to this Word of God.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1.

[quote=mrS4ntA]“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1.
[/quote]

O.k. - I’ll be serious this time. This is a very interesting verse. A union with the subject yields the equation:

Scripture = Word of God = God

Ergo, if Scripture = God, we must now consider if God = Scripture. What say you?

The problem starts when one equates **The WORD OF GOD ** with the scriptures. The scriptures are the testimony of God’s people to the WORD OF GOD who is the person Jesus Christ. The words of scripture are the God Breathed testimony that lead us and help us to have a personal relationship with **THE WORD ** and the Church He founded. It is in these words which are not God that we discover THE WORD. Capeche? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote=dirtydog]O.k. - I’ll be serious this time. This is a very interesting verse. A union with the subject yields the equation:

Ergo, if Scripture = God, we must now consider if God = Scripture. What say you?
[/quote]

I don’t happen to see the word scripture anywhere in that verse. Are you saying that the Bible is God? Sure looks like it to me. So each Bible is God and we should bow down to it?

[quote=thessalonian]I don’t happen to see the word scripture anywhere in that verse. Are you saying that the Bible is God? Sure looks like it to me. So each Bible is God and we should bow down to it?
[/quote]

Ummm… methinks you need to re-read my posts. Do you really think I’m advocating such a position, or showing how ludicrous it is to think that the whole of revelation, and thus the knowledge of God, and thus God Himself, is contained in Scripture?

[quote=dirtydog]O.k. - I’ll be serious this time. This is a very interesting verse. A union with the subject yields the equation:

[/quote]

Of course it is interesting. It proved my point that the “Word of God” is a Person – Christ Jesus – and not a Book.

So can anyone post a verse that proves that WORD OF GOD = Scripture. I haven’t seen anyone even attempt it.

[quote=thessalonian]So can anyone post a verse that proves that WORD OF GOD = Scripture. I haven’t seen anyone even attempt it.
[/quote]

That’s because it can’t be done - we’ve all been showing why it can’t be done.

In the beginning of St. John’s Gospel, it says:

The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.

Jesus was the incarnation of the Word of God. He was made flesh - he was not originally so. He became incarnate, in Latin, “in body” (in=in, carna=body). Jesus embodied God’s Word: he lived it, he breathed it, he WAS God’s Word. He was not the teacher of the Word of God; he was the living Word.

This Word, in the person or body of Jesus CHrist, was an example to all, an archetype to be followed. What he said, what he did, was the Word of God; what he said and did are written in the Gospels and the Bible; therefore, the Scriptures are the recorded, the written, Word of God. Jesus was the Word of God incarnate; the Bible is the Word of God in print. What pertains to, prophesies about, and interprets the Word of God is also included (The Old Testament, the Prophetic Books, and the Epistles, respectively), but the Gospels are the core of the Bible. They are the foundations of the Word of God.

[quote=The_Angelus]In the beginning of St. John’s Gospel, it says:

The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.

Jesus was the incarnation of the Word of God. He was made flesh - he was not originally so. He became incarnate, in Latin, “in body” (in=in, carna=body). Jesus embodied God’s Word: he lived it, he breathed it, he WAS God’s Word. He was not the teacher of the Word of God; he was the living Word.

This Word, in the person or body of Jesus CHrist, was an example to all, an archetype to be followed. What he said, what he did, was the Word of God; what he said and did are written in the Gospels and the Bible; therefore, the Scriptures are the recorded, the written, Word of God. Jesus was the Word of God incarnate; the Bible is the Word of God in print. What pertains to, prophesies about, and interprets the Word of God is also included (The Old Testament, the Prophetic Books, and the Epistles, respectively), but the Gospels are the core of the Bible. They are the foundations of the Word of God.
[/quote]

I agree that the Bible is the Word of God. Your missing my point. Is the Word of God completely and explicitly captured in the Bible? This you have not addressed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.