Scrubs to Mass

Let me start by saying I have always believed that if you're going to church you should be dressed presentable, however I'm at a loss and would love some advice.

This week I will start my job at Christian Companion Senior Care and will likely be working 12 hour shifts on Saturday nights from 9pm to 9am which means that if I want to make it to Mass at our Parish I won't have time to change out of my scrubs.

I've considered asking if they mind if I change a bit early so that I'll have time to get my family and make it to church, but it is my first week and I really don't want to cause a problem.

Since I'll be working in private homes I thought about just speaking privately to my client about changing, but there's still the issue of the person coming on disliking the situation and reporting me.

So, my question is, would it be wrong to attend Mass in scrubs? Do you have any suggestions for quick fixes for getting from work mode to mass mode?

I don't think it would be a problem for you to wear your scrubs to Mass as long as they were clean. But if it bothers you, could you bring a change of clothes and change in the restroom at church? Not ideal, I know, but it is an option. Or do you have a friend or family member that lives near the church that wouldn't mind you stopping by long enough to change?

Actually there are some really stylish scrubs out there that look very similar to dress shirts! Maybe just get a really nice pair of scrubs that you wear on days where you attend mass so you are wearing the best thing possible.

Honestly, it shouldn't bother you. Not wearing good clothes because you'd rather be "comfortable" is a far cry different than necessity. And boo to anyone who judges someone coming to mass in scrubs! It's obvious that they work hard! :thumbsup:

Back in my younger days, we had a daily Mass at 7:00 AM, and the parish's KC's offered to supply the "altar boys" for the Mass, since the Mass ordinarily interfered with the school schedule. So, many parish men offered to serve Mass dressed in their "work clothes," on their way to work. Men of every occupation imaginable served as "altar boys." Many of the men wore their traditional business suits and ties, but a surprising number wore their occupational clothing to Mass, including my father who wore his carpenter's overalls, policemen, firemen, mechanics in their Chevrolet/Ford/Pontiac, etc. themed service shop shirts, and merchants of every sort wore their working outfits. Our church's statue of Saint Joseph even holds a large carpenter's square.

Were I a nurse or CNA, I'd be proud to wear my scrubs to Mass.

We have a late Sunday Mass (the latest in our archdiocese) and I frequently see people in scrubs. I assume they're just getting off work. I wouldn't worry.

There is a lady that always comes to our 8:00 Sunday morning Mass, always 10 min late, and in her scrubs. I know she is coming from our hospital, and like you, doesn't have time to change. I had to smile to myself one morning because she had forgotten and still had the little booties on, and a stethoscope was still around her neck. But the whole point was that she was there. God accepts us as we are, and he knows what is in our hearts.
If anyone judges you for that, it's on their soul, not yours.

Wear your uniform with my blessing. I wear mine. :D

On a more serious note, in Catholic hospitals the staff does not change clothes to attend mass. They wear everything from scrubs to lab coats and in between.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s, my sainted grandmother was a "special duty" nurse at Los Angeles General Hospital. She worked 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts. Hers was the overnight, and she would get off the bus in front of her church, and attend Sunday Mass in her uniform. Granted, nurses didn't wear scrubs outside of a surgical unit in those days, so whe was wearing her white dress and cap.

I sometimes have to attend my TLM Mass in working clothes, which for me are slacks and a cotton shirt. Most of the ladies are in dresses. I will wear my long, dress coat over my work clothes, so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. You might consider a long coat, if you have one, and it isn't a hot day, if it will make you feel like you blend in better.

As far as God is concerned, He will be very pleased to see you in Mass, worshipping Him, in your scrubs, rather than have you miss Mass because you are embarrassed. Who cares what the others think, as long as you are modest, clean, dry, and serviceable, as we said in the Air Force.

I live in South Florida and I see people at mass with Hawaiian shirts and other strange attire. If I saw a woman in scrubs I would probably tear up. Nurses are some of the kindest and most dedicated people I know and I would know she was serious about attending mass.

Just don't wear scrubs with bunny rabbits or sponge bob. :D Just kidding. I've spent three months in the hospital recently and I have seen some way out scrubs. I'm sure home health care is different. Bless you, go and don't worry, God loves you.

Thank you all for the reassurance, it has really helped ease my fears of being looked down on for not "taking the time" to change. The majority of people at our parish don't really dress to the tee, but it still had me worried.

I really like the suggestion of the looking for more dressy scrubs for when I know I'll be in a tight squeeze.

God knows your intent and your heart - that is what is important - and the fact that you are at mass.

[quote="Bporte00, post:10, topic:235031"]
Thank you all for the reassurance, it has really helped ease my fears of being looked down on for not "taking the time" to change. The majority of people at our parish don't really dress to the tee, but it still had me worried.

I really like the suggestion of the looking for more dressy scrubs for when I know I'll be in a tight squeeze.

[/quote]

Just remember - you aren't there to impress other people. To poopies with what they think. You are there for God and to be with Jesus at Eucharist. If people are more concerned with YOUR clothes than meeting with Christ at Eucharist, may I charitably suggest they are the ones with the problem. :shrug:

Its perfectly fine. Its admirable that people who work in the healthcare industry would make the time for our Lord. I don’t know why anyone would take it against you.

I really enjoyed this question and wanted to let you know I am one of those who will show up in my scrubs at Mass.

I work as a physical therapist at a hospital just a few blocks away from the local Cathedral which has a 12:10 pm Mass on weekdays. It is a wonderful way for me to spend a lunch break and I never thought anything negative about being in my scrubs. In a way, it reminds me that I am honoring God in the profession He has blessed me with and that I am rather proud of that privilege. I also find that I see many others in scrubs and it reminds me that people are there because they took time from work to be there.

I think it is a wonderful statement of service in a profession you can be proud of.....

No.

My husband is a career firefighter and has attended church and RCIA in his uniform. You have to do what you have to do to get to church.

God bless!

[quote="Bporte00, post:1, topic:235031"]
Let
So, my question is, would it be wrong to attend Mass in scrubs? Do you have any suggestions for quick fixes for getting from work mode to mass mode?

[/quote]

there is no dress code other than modesty and anyone going to Mass to or from work should wear their work clothes. Since our parish is home to 3 hospitals and more medical offices than saloons, I would guess a third of parishioners at some Masses are in scrubs at early Masses.

I'm chiming in a little late but here's my two cents. While I agree that it is always best, if possible, to look your best while attending mass, it is my firm belief that God does not have a dress code. At our Sunday evening mass I see people dressed in uniform all the time -- there's usually a military person there in her BDUs and occasionally there is a paramedic that is in uniform sitting with her family. I've also seen a DPS officer in full uniform (for those of you outside of Texas that's department of public safety -- our state cops.) One time the presentation of the gifts was by a Marine -- in full uniform -- a Houston Police Officer and another officer (can't remember which department) all in full uniform. They were family members of our newly-ordained priest.

Short answer: It's perfect appropriate to be in your uniform :D

I pray for people I see in uniforms at Mass. I am thankful for Catholic doctors, nurses, fire fighters, police officers, etc. so I say prayers for their safety and courage!

Please wear them so others can pray for you!
:)

I usually go to mass in a huge black leather jacket, ripped jeans and a band t-shirt. Wear whatever you want my friend!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.