Scruples are making me miserable! DID I commit a sin?!

I have scruples. Bad. So here’s what I’m struggling with today:
I saw someone on Facebook mention the woody Allen scandal, and I wasn’t sure what the full story was there, so I googled it, saw that his daughter had written an open letter describing how he had sexually abused her, and I chose to read it. Call it morbid curiosity for the gruesome details. I wasn’t looking to get aroused by reading it, it was about abuse for goodness sake. But my curiosity was excited and I wanted I know exactly what had happened. Now I feel incredibly guilty. I know deep down that reading a news story, even a bad one, technically isn’t a sin, but somehow I feel as if Ive sinned greatly for being so curious about all the details, and seeking to satisfy my curiosity.

Emily. Get professional help. Call your pastor and make an appointment and also get an evaluation by a mental health professional. We cannot provide the help you need.

1ke,

With all due respect, your response to the OP is going to make her scruples worse. I found it to be little over the top. We don’t even know the age of the poster.

OP,

As 1ke said, it would be better that you spoke with a priest about this matter.  However,  I would advise to stay away from 'mental health professionals' until you have first spoken with a reliable and wise priest that you trust first.

(setting aside the question posed I will note rather what to do in terms of if one struggles with scruples)

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” *who can direct them --and even give them some general principles to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one?

Such ‘obedience’ (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.

As to counseling - that could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/)

Here was a recent post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous

There is nothing wrong with seeking mental health treatment. It is quite surprising how many should be getting treatment.

I believe the OP’s concern was the kind of such treatment…that if sought that it is not contrary to their faith as a Christian. Many out there would not be fitting to assist in such…

Hi Emily,

:console: Pray for them, then read something good to balance it, like this…

slice.ca/breaktime/photos/35-heartwarming-photos-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity/#!a9a7889997cb0dfe74fb2c0d635af38e :slight_smile:

Is there a priest you can talk to? Ask his advice, and for the name of a good Catholic counselor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.