Scruples or a Reality?

I have 2 Questions:

1. I know totally missing Mass is a sin, and I accept that. But if a person comes late, how late is too late, that it becomes a sin? Is there a particular point in The Mass where ones lateness is de facto a sin, a mortal sin or venial sin?

2. I like try to eat healthy, if I am a patron to a Halal Food Store would that be a sin? To me it wouldn’t be to far-fetched that they would give their money to their particular religious agenda yet I just like their food not out of religious position but because I know the food doesn’t have too many preservatives or what have you.

When I was younger I was told that I had to be there for the readings and the Gospel.

Whether this is exact or not I do not know.

1. THe degree of sin depends on why you were late.
  • Many of the local industrial plants and the hospital have 6am/6pm or 7am/7pm weekend shifts so that these people, even if they leave right away, can not make the start of the latest Mass at any of the local Churches. Our Pastor has said in a general statement that they should come to Mass as soon as they can and receive communion and count it towards their obligation - so long as they are there for the Gospile readings… or to approach him after Mass and let him know what is going on.
  • Weather, we live in snow country. When it Snows, it Snows, and even the Snow has trouble moving because of the Snow. (ROTFL - and this will happen with the rain too).

In either of the above (or the alarm clock didn’t go off even though we thought we had turned it on), we’re not expected to perform miracles - this is beyound our control. Talk with your local Pastor and be dispensed (which may involve the local Ordinary for some cases) and be done with it.

Did you wake up, decide I’m not going to Sunday Mass (or other obligitory Mass) because you just don’t want to go? Get thy body to the confessional ASAP… that’s mortal sin - pure, simple,

Of Course all of hte above is supporte by and take from:

CCC 2181 (from the Vatican Site)
2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the **faithful are obliged to participate **in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin

1. There are other whole food, natural grocers, organic stores out there.
    And instead of Halal, why not find a good Jewish/Kosher food store - Christ was a Jew, and he was celibrating the Passover Meal - (^_^). I have nothing against the Islamic stores and these are often ran by good God fearing people; however, because you have a choice, you really need to fully consider your options - does this raise to the level of sin… that’s a hard one to answer. Perhaps this will help, it’s from EWTN so should be in keeping with the Church Morality Of Cooperation In Evil (Part I)
    Personally, I would ask a well known applogist - someone like Fr. Serpa or Mr. Akins.

the answer to the first one, the Church does not have any set time that if your arrive after the start of Mass, you are too late and fall in the area of missing Mass. The Church recognizes that in peoples lives stuff happens. Some could be trying to get to Mass on time and the tire goes flat or whatever. When people state you need to arrive by the Gospel etc, that is not official from the Church.

In answering the second question, we do not have control over any store owner’s religion.
In other words, if the store was run by an athiest etc, would that make a difference? When one buys at a store, they generally are just supporting the people that own that store and the employees that work there. Most store owners are just trying to make ends met let alone send extra money to causes near to their hearts. If you are concern, you could always ask the store owner what groups he may donate money to , then make a decision then if you get an answer. Going to shop in a Halal food store in it of itself shouldn’t be considered wrong to buy food that may be healtier for you.

1. I know totally missing Mass is a sin, and I accept that. But if a person comes late, how late is too late, that it becomes a sin? Is there a particular point in The Mass where ones lateness is de facto a sin, a mortal sin or venial sin?

I don’t know if there is a cutoff point, but I’d be there before the Gospel.

It’s also my understanding that being late for Mass at any point before that is a venial sin, and in certain circumstances that may not even be the case. But as a priest once told me, “it is our responsibility to see to it that we make it to Mass”.

zenit.org/en/articles/arriving-after-the-gospel-no-communion

The following link says that at some point during the Offertory is when Catholics should be present.

catholichotdish.com/faith-and-reasons/how-late-is-too-late-for-sunday-mass-and-does-the-mass-still-%E2%80%9Ccount%E2%80%9D-if-i-leave-right-after-communion/

1. I like try to eat healthy, if I am a patron to a Halal Food Store would that be a sin? To me it wouldn’t be to far-fetched that they would give their money to their particular religious agenda yet I just like their food not out of religious position but because I know the food doesn’t have too many preservatives or what have you.

I think this depends a lot on** intention**. For instance (as example a priest once told me about), you could be shopping a at store that sells condoms and by shopping there you are giving them business and helping them stay open, but what you are supposed to do? Go without food and medicine?

If it’s your intention to help another non-Catholic religion in this way or a business because it supports anti-Catholic positions, then the conversation gets a whole lot more interesting.

If you want more concrete, morally justified positions, seek out some qualified spiritual direction or your confessor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.