Scrupulosity and Communion

I was just wondering:

If a person is known to be scrupulous (especially if the confessor indicates this during Confession) and yet thinks that s/he has committed a mortal sin even though it may not be so (e.g. s/he thinks that just by having a stray blasphemous thought, they're in deep trouble with God), would it be better practice to:

[LIST=1]
*]Have Communion and get Confession later?
*]Just not go to Communion and wait until his/her next Confession?
[/LIST]
I know that both will have their advantages and disadvantages, and I don't want to promote scrupulosity by any means, but I wanted to see what you all think.

Thanks again! :)

They need to have a “regular confessor” who knows them. He can direct them and give them* principles for them* in particular to apply.

Such is the age old practice in the Church.

(he may say for example to one of his penitents with scruples – unless your certain it was a mortal sin --make an act of contrition and go to communion --he may knowing another person with scruples who also falls into mortal sins often in such and such area -that he should go confession…(often it will be the former…))

One who suffers from scrupulosity should have one regular confessor, and should obey all advice given to him/her regarding this matter.

That said, my spiritual director/confessor instructed me that if at any time I have any 'doubt" at at as to whether or not something is a mortal sin, I should treat the matter as if it was NOT mortal sin, and receive Communion. I should also bring these things to him during our scheduled sessions for discussion.

[quote="ParvaDei, post:1, topic:299434"]
I was just wondering:

If a person is known to be scrupulous (especially if the confessor indicates this during Confession) and yet thinks that s/he has committed a mortal sin even though it may not be so (e.g. s/he thinks that just by having a stray blasphemous thought, they're in deep trouble with God), would it be better practice to:

[LIST=1]
*]Have Communion and get Confession later?
*]Just not go to Communion and wait until his/her next Confession?
[/LIST]
I know that both will have their advantages and disadvantages, and I don't want to promote scrupulosity by any means, but I wanted to see what you all think.

Thanks again! :)

[/quote]

Doubting worthiness will cause problems as well. But being conscious of grave sin is not the same as being doubtful of grave sin, so I can see why the priest advised the other poster to receive. Of course we are not required to receive the Holy Eucharist, except once a year so the exceptions do not seem to apply in the canon 916.
1983 CIC 916. A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

When it comes to any sinful thoughts, they may occur numerous times without serious sin if we discard them as soon as realized. If one has a psychological disorder which brings automatic thoughts, their occurrence is not under the direction of the will.

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:3, topic:299434"]
One who suffers from scrupulosity should have one regular confessor, and should obey all advice given to him/her regarding this matter.

That said, my spiritual director/confessor instructed me that if at any time I have any 'doubt" at at as to whether or not something is a mortal sin, I should treat the matter as if it was NOT mortal sin, and receive Communion. I should also bring these things to him during our scheduled sessions for discussion.

[/quote]

+1

The scrupulous should obey their confessor, but this last statement is consistent with advice given in the past as well as on scrupulosity-related literature. If in doubt, the general advice has been to receive Communion and even NOT confess the doubt. Confessing doubtful sins is fine for the non-scrupulous but can make the condition worse for the scrupulous.

However, as this is a public forum, let the scrupulous seek the counsel of a confessor who knows how to help people with this condition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.