Scrupulosity is ruining my life - please pray for me

Please pray for me; scrupulosity is RUINING my life

I don’t seem to have the usual kind of “what if I’m not praying this prayer perfectly enough”, “what if my confession wasn’t valid” kind of scruples; mine is more of the “how can I be certain that I can act on my Confessor’s instructions? What if he doesn’t understand my situation? Should I still act on it?” and I go into the deepest detail like “what if there is actually some meat in this Fish & Chips? I should ask the waitress to check with the chief. No, wait, I should check with the Chef myself. Wait what if the chefs are lying? Maybe I shouldn’t eat it.” (Assuming the day was a Friday when Catholics can’t eat meat)

I don’t know what to do, I feel that by acting against these scruples I’m acting on a doubtful conscience which means I sin. It’s driving me insane. I just want a normal thinking pattern like everybody else. It’s depriving me of energy, of happiness, of time spent on my school work, of enjoyment, of fruitful relationships. EVERYTHING is going to shambles because of this scrupulosity which is constantly plaguing my mind. I’m pretty sure I’m in mortal sin now as well because I decided to act against my scruples some times despite having some doubt still.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Praying for you. I heard from Jimmy Akin on CA’s the other day that if you have scrupulosity and you are uncertain whether something is a mortal sin or not then assume it is not mortal.

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Phil 4:8)

Link please!!! That would take a heavy load off me and ease my conscience

I think it was when he was on last week or a few days ago.

Here is some other links of his on the matter

“If you think you may have committed a mortal sin then confess it just to be sure, unless you are scrupulous, in which case don’t confess it unless you are sure.”
http://jimmyakin.com/2006/12/assessing_morta.html

Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb,
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of death, Amen

Prayers for your intention. Please see a doctor.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Let Nothing Disturb You

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.

Patience,
Obtains all things,
Whoever has God
Lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.

Santa Teresa de Jesús
(Santa Teresa de Ávila)

Prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility
and Mother of Hope,
look upon ZynXensar in this time
of weakness and unrest.

Teach her searching heart
to know that God’s Love
for her is unchanging and
unchangeable, and, that
true human love can only
begin and grow by touching
His Love.

Let your gentle Peace -
which this world cannot give

• be always with her.
    And, help her to bring this
    same Peace into the lives
    of others.

Our Lady of Mental Peace,

• Pray for us!
    Amen.

I’m praying for you. May God relieve you of scrupulosity.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.