Odd question, I know, but do we have to be actually recognised i.e diagnosed as “scrupulous” in order for the rules for scrupulous people to apply to us? I’m having difficulty in discerning whether I’m scrupulous or have a doubtful conscience.
• I don’t have any issues with whether I said a prayer “correctly”
• I don’t have any issues with whether my confession was “valid”
• I don’t have any issues with whether I committed a mortal sin because I **accidentally **ate meat on a Lenten friday because “full knowledge” at that time, was absent (i.e I completely forgot it was a Lenten Friday)
However I do have issues with:
• I create RIDICULOUS hypothetical scenarios in my head; essentially anything I do can lead to sin
• An answer from a priest isn’t enough; I feel that I must ask two or three more after to ensure that the answer given is correct