Scrupulous - regarding confession ASAP

Perhaps I should begin by saying I have resolved the question but thought it might be a good topic for discussion.

This is what I wrote a few moments ago.

"I am scrupulous, and have a prudential question regarding confession.

Currently I am in a dilemma regarding whether I should go to confession as soon as possible. There are a few factors in this: I have not received Communion for nine months, and I am afraid that it has been more than a year since my last grace-filled (valid?) Communion (objectively). I have become worried that, in order to fulfill the law of the Church requiring yearly Communion, I must go to Confession immediately and Communion afterwards (i.e. that would make my obligation to receive Communion immediate rather than merely within Eastertide). However, I am having extreme difficulty resolving in myself that I am sufficiently prepared to make a worthy Confession, as I am generally very cowardly, and I have committed sins in the past which were public, and would require public reparation, or at least the kind of sorrow which would include willingness not to do it again. I have had the opportunity for public reparation multiple times, and I have been too afraid to do it because it would be embarrassing or might seem surprising and incongruous.

There are scheduled confessions right now followed by Mass, and I feel that I am obliged to go.

However, there is also confession and Mass tomorrow morning, with a priest who has been my confessor three years in the past (though I have not seen him for several months), and I think it is more prudent for me to examine my conscience, write down my sins and pressing concerns, and go tomorrow. These were my plans, and my mother said I should just go tomorrow.

I might also mention that I am a student and have the additional obligation of doing my schoolwork (homeschooled) and that I have had internal tug of war over whether I should do my schoolwork or prepare and go to confession, and I know I need to obey my mother, but I also consider if I should ask my mother if I should go to confession. She thinks I should do my schoolwork and go to confession tomorrow.

I’ve heard somewhere that the virtue that the scrupulous need to develop is prudence (reason in practical matters). I can say from experience that this seems spot on.

For these reasons I tend to think that it is not a sin not to go to confession right now, but to have the intention to go as soon as I am reasonably prepared."

Any thoughts?

I agree with your mom. Go tomorrow.

As a prudential judgement, I too advise that you go tomorrow.

Rest your mind.

Obviously the time table is up on your post - but in hopes of your return later anyhow I will post this for you.

I will re-post an older post of mine

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles/rules to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Such is the age old practice in the Church. Obedience to ones regular confessor.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? One keeps walking.

(image from a Carthusian writer from centuries ago).

Get a regular confessor - that is key. Ask him to direct you.

Make an act of the most perfect contrition that you can, and go confess when you are able. God is not waiting, spider-in-the-web-like, for you to slip up only to say, “Ah, here’s my chance!” and send you straight to hell. Could you even love a God like that? Remain in silence and you just might hear Him say, “I am the God of peace, not of anxiety.”

Truly, if these thoughts are intrusive or recur, you might talk to mom and dad, Priest or doctor about them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.