SDA to RCIA

Hello I have been on these forums a few times, I whent to RCIA in 2014 but I did not finish :frowning: leaving seventh day Adventist faith behind was harder than I had thought. But I am going to start RCIA again! I start the 16 of this month! While I didn’t complete RCIA last time it had a big impact on me. Especially attending mass and the Eucharist , I truly believe that it is the blood and body of Christ. When I left and didn’t continue I really missed going to mass even though I couldn’t participate in the Eucharist the feeling when watching the priest hold up the wafer and then the cup, I really believed that it was true.

It’s made attending a non Catholic Church impossible, I miss the beauty of the mass and watching people receive the Eucharist! I continued to study and I believe that the Catholic Church is true and I want to become a member!

I’m ex-Presbyterian, not SDA. However like you whenever I go to a Protestant service, the one thing that is missing is the Echarist. Even if they have communion, it is not the same.

They might have better music, better sermons, great welcomers, more confortable seats, and wonderful after-service refreshments, but I still notice the Eucharist is missing.

So just keep on keeping on with the RCIA and you’ll get there eventually! Even if you got hit by a bus before you finished, and took a spiritual short cut via the funeral parlour and the cemetry (just kidding), God would have recognised your intention to join the Catholic Church, and would grant you due recognition as a practising Catholic.

By the same token of course, He also can recognise our** intention** to do evil, such as when Christ pointed out that even thinking about a woman in lust is seen by God as being halfway to the deed.

So it cuts both ways.

Another convert here!

It’s better to pause RCIA and make 100% sure that you want to be Catholic than go through the Rite of Initiation and carry doubts with you. It’s too beautiful a celebration to be worrying through, and we still have a seat saved for you! :wink:

For a historical perspective of the Eucharist, try reading the letters of Ignatius of Antioch (if you haven’t already). He was a bishop that was martyred 105 AD.

The following conversion story might also be worth a look:

youtu.be/R5NT32Y-Mrk

I am glad you are coming back, it sounds like you never really never left! It takes a while, sometimes, to leave something familiar, even when you discover it no longer fits anymore. Welcome back! [Even though you never left!:slight_smile: ]

I don’t attend Protestant services because of the misuse of the Eucharist

Yes! Before I attended a Catholic Church I didn’t understand the Eucharist but when I did and learned about it , it has made non Catholic Churches to be empty to me! Their communion and baptism have little to no meaning and I was setting in church just thinking that these things mean so much more than just a symbol! Even though I was rasied a seventh day Adventist and taught to fear the Catholic Church, leaving it had made me realize how much I need to be there!

Yes it is true! I had to deal with all of the false teaching that I had been taught by the seventh day Adventist . But attending the Catholic Church and attinding RCIA changed me and my beliefs even though I didn’t relise it at the time!

I think the key to fulfilling the program this time is attending Mass regularly if you are not already, at least every Sunday, more if you are able, and learning and using some Catholic prayers, of which you can find plenty online. Live a Catholic lifestyle for a while and see if it is for you. An RCIA course will not necessarily be enough on its own to help you make that decision.

That’s great advice for those new to the faith and not so new to the faith

I would love to attend mass but I unfortunately do not have a ride. I am in contact with the church and they do know this, they did say however that they could provide a ride to RCIA .

I do not know exactly what you mean by. A Catholic lifestyle however I do pray the rosary everyday and listen to ewtn.

:thumbsup: Congratulations on your journey home! It must have been a difficult journey leaving Adventism. I really encourage you to stick it out with RCIA.

May God bless your path in RCIA!

Your mind and heart are in the right place :thumbsup:

Using scripture and Tradition, here’s something to add to your knowledge of the mass. Maybe something to share in RCIA as well if you can make it to instruction :wink:

Why [FONT=&quot]is every Sunday a holy day of obligation for Catholics and thus we are obligated to go to mass? Where is that obligation in scripture and Tradition, and why are we to celebrate the Eucharist every Sunday?

Re: Sunday?

See
[/FONT]
[LIST]
*]Hebrews 10 below
*]The Didache (c. 100) ch 14.1 “on the day of resurrection”,

*]St Ignatius, (~107 a.d.) Epistle to the Magnesians ch 9 Lord’s day is resurrection day.,

*]St Justin Martyr,( ~ 130 a.d.) First Apology, Sunday is the Day we hold our common assembly it is the 1st day of week, the Day our Lord resurrected
[/LIST]
what are we to do on Sunday at mass, and why are we obligated to attend mass on Sunday and not deliberately miss mass on Sunday?

Hebrews 10: (all emphasis m[FONT=&quot]ine)
23 Let us hold fast [/FONT]the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27* but a** fearful prospect of**** judgment**, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries. 28* A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29* How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace?

On Sunday (The Day) then, [FONT=&quot]we celebrate [/FONT]the sacrifice for sin and blood of the covenant.

That describes the Eucharist. The summit of our faith. Matthew 26:26-28.Jesus said those words instituting the Eucharist.

[LIST]
*]Jesus further describes the importance of the Eucharist for the soul. John 6:53 And John 6:54.
[/LIST]
[FONT=&quot]And the consequences mentioned [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]in Heb 10,[/FONT] if we [/FONT]deliberately miss mass on Sunday as is the habit of some ?[/FONT]

[LIST]
*] no sacrifice for sins for THEM who deliberately fail to meet on Sunday.
*]They profane the blood of the covenant for failing to meet, They spurn the son of God and outrages the spirit of grace for not meeting , so as a result, there is punishment and a fearful prospect of judgement and a fury of fire awaits that person because they are then considered an adversary of God for deliberately not meeting for the Eucharist (not my words it’s from scripture)
[/LIST]
That describes one has committed a mortal sin by deliberately missing mass…

Prayers ascending for your intentions and a successful RCIA.

Wonderful news anytime someone starts crossing the Tiber.

Congrats to all who are enrolled n this year’s RCIA course. May the Spirit guide you closer to the Lord and help you with any struggles you may be having with the faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.