SDAs and the Papacy

I was talking to a guy and he told me about where to find all of Ellen White’s writings. I looked and did some searching and I found this page full of anti-C talk and fear of the CC.

Here is the main page. Here is the page I was looking at.

These are some quotes: Many Protestants suppose that the Catholic religion is unattractive, and that its worship is a dull, meaningless round of ceremony. Here they mistake. While Romanism is based upon deception, it is not a coarse and clumsy imposture. The religious service of the Romish Church is a most impressive ceremonial. Its gorgeous display and solemn rites fascinate the senses of the people, and silence the voice of reason and of conscience. The eye is charmed. Magnificent churches, imposing processions, golden altars, jeweled shrines, choice paintings, and exquisite sculpture appeal to the love of beauty. The ear also is captivated. The music is unsurpassed. The rich notes of the deep-toned organ, blending with the melody of many voices as it swells through the lofty domes and pillared aisles of her grand cathedrals, cannot fail to impress the mind with awe and reverence.
There is a striking similarity between the Church of Rome and the Jewish Church at the time of Christ’s first advent. While the Jews secretly trampled upon every principle of the law of God, they were outwardly rigorous in the observance of its precepts, loading it down with exactions and traditions that made obedience painful and burdensome. As the Jews professed to revere the law, so do Romanists claim to reverence the cross. They exalt the symbol of Christ’s sufferings, while in their lives they deny him whom it represents.
Royal edicts, general councils, and church ordinances sustained by secular power, were the steps by which the pagan festival attained its position of honor in the Christian world. The first public measure enforcing Sunday observance was the law enacted by Constantine. [A. D. 321.] This edict required townspeople to rest on “the venerable day of the sun,” but permitted countrymen to continue their agricultural pursuits. Though virtually a heathen statute, it was enforced by the emperor after his nominal acceptance of Christianity.
As you read on in that book it turns to a “Sunday evil, Saturday good” scare theme, it was all empty talk with lots of misinformation and lies.
My goal on this thread is to get anything that the SDAs have said about the CC and expose the writings for what they are…Unfounded scare tactics.

Do you have any passages to add (with link to citation)?

Better yet, any passages on SDA doctrine that dont square with the Bible would be nice as well.

[quote=Catholic Dude]IThe ear also is captivated. The music is unsurpassed. The rich notes of the deep-toned organ, blending with the melody of many voices as it swells through the lofty domes and pillared aisles of her grand cathedrals, cannot fail to impress the mind with awe and reverence…
[/quote]

should we invite them to a Life Teen Mass, or the 5:00 guitar Mass played by amateurs who know only one chord, or the early Mass with the older ladies who were sopranos 30 years ago before they lost their range, and who can’t hear the organist, so that singers and organ are on different key and tempo?

She should check out my parish, the bare whit walls would do a Methodist meeting house proud – they are marred only by black & white lithograph Stations of the Cross.

Golden altars? I’ve been in many Catholic churches, and I’ve never seen one of those.

However, I also had the chance to go inside a Buddhist temple. Talk about gold! Even the walls were plated with gold.

Clearly this was written before 1970!

The title of this thread is very offensive and it should be removed. It is an insult to Catholics everywhere !!!

Catholic Dude -
I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but note:

On the well known SDA author Dr Samule Bacchiocchi’s website (biblicalperspectives.com) this is part of what is said in the “About the Author” section :

“In 1969 Dr. Bacchiocchi returned to his native city of Rome to study at the prestigious Pontifical Gregorian University, where he was the first non-Catholic to be admitted in over 450 years of its history. At the Gregoriana he spent the next five years working toward a Doctoratus in Church History. He was awarded a gold medal by Pope Paul VI for attaining the academic distinction of *summa cum laude *for his class-work and dissertation *From Sabbath to Sunday.”

*Hmmm…:hmmm:

[quote=wcknight]The title of this thread is very offensive and it should be removed. It is an insult to Catholics everywhere !!!
[/quote]

Maybe change it to Pot Pourri. They sound pretty much the same anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh brother, where do I start with the Seventh day Adventist cult? They are Catholic bashers big time. Ellen White was insistent that the Papacy changed the seventh day Sabbath to Sunday during the reign of Constantine. Little did she know the seventh day Sabbath was never commanded to the church anyway and that the church from the time of the Apostles were meeting together on the Lord’s day, which was and still is the first day of the week. This was 300 plus years BEFORE Constantine.

Seventh day Adventists do not believe you have a soul that survives the body at death, but that when you die nothing survives of the personality, until the resurrection day. Then you will be recreated and given a new body and God will somehow restore your personality, intellect, emotions and all. So this means, SDAs do not believe one goes to heaven, hell or purgatory at death. They are simply annihilated. So they are in the same class as Jehovah Witnesses on this one.

Ellen White also is the Adventists prophetess. She believed the sanctuary in heaven closed it's doors in 1844 and the door to salvation was closed for sinners and that Jesus was to return shortly thereafter. Were still waiting Mrs White, some 150 years later.White also enforced vegetarianism and meats in the diet were a no, no. So that is why most SDAs are veggies. 

Adventist bible commentators write that the beast in Revelation 13 is the Papacy of the Catholic church and the Great Harlot in Revelation 17 also fills the bill for the Catholic church throughout history. One wonders, if the Catholic church were the great harlot of Revelation chapter 17 for some 1500 years before the reformation,  where was the church? Because the Catholic church was the ONLY existing church throughout all those years. And what makes the Adventist position worse is just where were any Seventh day Adventist churches during those 1500 plus years?  This is the SAME argument Baptists use for establishing their church linage all the way back to the apostles. They claim such a linage can be traced, but no historical record truly exists.

This is just some of the basics of what Seventh Day Adventists embrace. This can be verified by consulting Walter Martin's classic book, "Kingdom of the Cults."

[quote=wcknight]The title of this thread is very offensive and it should be removed. It is an insult to Catholics everywhere !!!
[/quote]

I thought of that phrase when I read the article. EGW used the term “Popery” all through it and was very openly anti-C.

I was on another place and this guy mentioned something very funny/odd about the SDA take on the Sabbath as mentioned in the Ten Commandments. In context it says:

8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; 11 for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
He mentioned that they only emphasize verse 8 and basically ignore the rest of the commandment. For example they take Sunday off like most people, but it clearly says that six days you shall labor.

Ya,… but man can they cook. Some of the best potlucks I have ever gone too was when I was S.D.A.

Very nice, very sincere, very misguided people.

This is one of the more sulphurously anti-Catholic SDA pages - so far anyway:

remnantofgod.org/

Enjoy ! :slight_smile: ##

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## This is one of the more sulphurously anti-Catholic SDA pages - so far anyway:

remnantofgod.org/

Enjoy ! :slight_smile: ##
[/quote]

Good Stuff.
The first thing I saw when I went there was Revelation14&18 and I said oh great. I then looked around and the best one was how “confession” is so bad and unBiblical. Again more scare tactics.

Hello my friend,

I am a Seventh-day Adventist. I just want you to know that you are sorely misunderstood about Adventist doctrine. Most of what you said above is wrong and I hope that you will take the time to try to understand more objectively the denominations you try to bash. You are guilty of the same sin you lay upon the heads of Adventists. You spirit is not that of one searching for truth and the love of Christ. It hope that someday Catholics and Adventists can ascertain a better understanding of each other and support each other in the love of Christ.

For those of you trying to understand Adventist please hear this. A forum is not the place to do it. There are too many people spreading lies behind both parties. The only place to understand what we believe and why we believe it is:

1. The BIBLE
  2. 28 fundamentals of Adventism (official church doctrine)
  3. Possibly a learned Adventist
  4. NOT ELLAN WHITE

We do not hold Ellan White’s words equal to the bible in the least regard. She has made many books over her life. A lot of them are merely devotionals and words of encouragement to a Christian living in this age. Infact, I knew nothing of Ellen White or Seventh-day Adventists when I came to believe in a lot of the doctrines they hold to be true. It was from devoted research from the bible alone.

When trying to understand the view of someone else, if you research it with the motive of trying to find something to prove it false you will never undertand it in the way it was meant. The bible is the same way to athiests. One must be objective.

I wonder friend, if I asked you what the definition of “cult” was if you would be able to tell me (without looking it up first and posting it later).

I wish I had the time or desire to share with you our true beliefs but I am afraid it would be like trying to dye the ocean red with one drop of food coloring. There will always be those out there who’s only desire (when coming together for truth and understanding) is to defend their doctrines with pride and subjectively cast down those of another. But doctrines are not the important thing here are they. The attitude one develops from a close personal walk with God bears the fruit of all good things.

With love

for those of you who would like an honest answer to questions you have of Adventists I would be happy to answer you. I am not here to try to convert anyone. Just to encourage a spirit of love when discussing such issues. Let us tell the truth about each other friends. My email is messenger-777@hotmail.com. Just let me know who you are (from the forum) when emailing me so I don’t think its junk mail or something

I am in the Navy right now so if I don’t get back to you in a few days be patient.

For posters looking for reliable information on Adventism, I recommend reading the Resouces on Adventism thread. Start with Post #1.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=108169

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Here is another interesting link.

theotokos.co.za/adventism/bobsfals.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.