Searching for Nuns Featured on Yet Unknown National TV Show

Hello, everyone. I’m trying to help my mother. She saw a nationally televised program a while back (not sure how long ago, but it wasn’t recent - more than 1.5 years ago, I’m thinking) that was about a group of nuns that receive prayer requests from all over the world and they do fantastic things. My mom’s a great believer in the power of prayer. I know virtually every nun or group of nuns or convents, etc. take prayer requests, but she was particularly taken with the subjects of this television broadcast.

She’s not sure what show it was, but thinks it was either 60 minutes, Dateline or perhaps 20/20. It could be something else, maybe, but it was a format along those lines. It was a nationally televised broadcast. She wants to get in touch with them.

I’ve done a little searching on my own and I could only find a 20/20 episode with Diane Sawyer regarding St. Clare of Assisi in New Mexico, but my mom doesn’t think that is the one. She doesn’t recall it being a cloistered community and thinks it was more in the mid west somewhere. I see that there’s a St. Clare community in Ohio but that one wasn’t featured in the Diane Sawyer piece.

Apparently this place is fairly well known but I haven’t had much luck in finding it.

I was just wondering if anyone here would know of the televised feature story that she is thinking of?

Thanks so much for any help you might be able to provide!

Could it have been the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist? They were featured on an Oprah special and are in Michigan.

Does your mom remember the color of habit or clothing the Religious Sisters were wearing? Does she remember the work or ministry they did?

I know that the Dominican Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor, MI appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show twice:

sistersofmary.org/

Carmelite Nuns of Moblie, Alabama have been “featured” as well:

ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2693

You could also try searching the following websites:

shc.edu/theolibrary/orders.htm

vocations.com/womenrel.html

Praying to St. Anthony of Padua and St. Nathaniel that you and your mom may find these Religious Sisters.

God bless,

goforgoal

Oh, thank you so much for the responses. I don’t think it was Oprah, though. I will check out the links, though. Thanks again.

Thanks and Praise be to God for blessing us with Prayerful women who Pray for us day and night.

If anything, you and your mom may want to check out the following threads:

“Favorite website to send your Prayer requests and intentions?”

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=451946

“Know of a good 800 Number for Catholic/Christian prayer during time of stress?”

forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=590719

You may also want to check out the Vocation Thread as these Religious Sisters may have been mentioned there.

Another suggestion is checking with CAF users mdgspencer and prettiefly as both of them have offered CAF many good links on this topic.

Mavila, I also wanted to add, that like your mom, I do believe in the power of Prayers too.

Continued Prayers to St. Anthony of Padua and St. Nathaniel on both of your search.

God bless,

goforgoal

Please let us know when you find these Religious Sisters Mavila.

I will. I’m thinking it has to be the 20/20 Diane Sawyer story. They actually covered Mount Saint Mary’s Abbey in Wrentham, Massachuesetts in addition to Poor Clare’s Roswell. I can’t find a full version of the story, so it’s difficult to say which. What can it hurt to make a request to both? :slight_smile:

Mount Saint Mary’s Abbey has a link on their website for prayer requests so you may be right on that one. Of course, it won’t hurt to have two groups of nuns praying for your intentions. :wink:

Mavila-Perhaps you or your mom will recongize some of the Nuns here:

flickr.com/photos/bostoncatholic/sets/72157628294741529/

Mavila- God knows our needs even before we do…So, whatever it is Mavila be sure of my Prayers for you and your mom.

This may have been suggested in the other thread but you can contact The Divine Mercy website with your prayer requests:

thedivinemercy.org/house/contactus.php

God be with you,

goforgoal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.