SeaTac $15 Minimum Wage Barely Passes in Final Vote Tally, Recount May Follow

Praying that justice is shown to these workers and the recount confirms their victory.

huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/26/seatac-15-minimum-wage-passes_n_4339492.html

A minimum wage passed in one suburb of one city is not significant. It would probably be interesting to see what all the results of this turn out to be. But since it’s such a small thing, it seems doubtful we’ll ever hear about them.

What “justice” would this be? I found nothing in the article stating employees were somehow being lied to about the wages they agreed upon when hired.

Hard to take HuffPo seriously when they propose absurd and distrastrous proposals like these and call it “genius”:

huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/us-ideas_n_4311178.html

2434 A just wage is the legitimate fruit of work. To refuse or withhold it can be a grave injustice.221 In determining fair pay both the needs and the contributions of each person must be taken into account. “Remuneration for work should guarantee man the opportunity to provide a dignified livelihood for himself and his family on the material, social, cultural, and spiritual level, taking into account the role and the productivity of each, the state of the business, and the common good.”222 Agreement between the parties is not sufficient to justify morally the amount to be received in wages.

And this blanketly decides a “just” wage…how?

I mean, why not $150.00 an hour to flip burgers?

Or $1,500 an hour? $15,000? $150,000,000?

Keep in mind many will be making $0.00 an hour from their former jobs in this area now since many businesses operate on a razor thin profit margin as it is.

APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
EVANGELII GAUDIUM
OF THE HOLY FATHER
FRANCIS TO THE BISHOPS, CLERGY, CONSECRATED PERSONS AND THE LAY FAITHFUL ON THE PROCLAMATION OF THE GOSPEL IN TODAY’S WORLD 218. Peace in society cannot be understood as pacification or the mere absence of violence resulting from the domination of one part of society over others. Nor does true peace act as a pretext for justifying a social structure which silences or appeases the poor, so that the more affluent can placidly support their lifestyle while others have to make do as they can.Demands involving the distribution of wealth, concern for the poor and human rights cannot be suppressed under the guise of creating a consensus on paper or a transient peace for a contented minority. The dignity of the human person and the common good rank higher than the comfort of those who refuse to renounce their privileges. When these values are threatened, a prophetic voice must be raised.

Smaller businesses were carved out of the legislation, and the law would only apply to certain employers in and around Seattle–Tacoma International Airport.

It’s a crafty law, only applying to business that can’t really close or move outside the city limits. There will be layoffs but less than in a regular wage hike. What you will probably see is a large surcharge placed on hotels and restaurants at the airport to fund this. Just another wealth distribution scheme.

See, heres the odd part.

.221 In determining fair pay both the needs and the contributions of each person must be taken into account.

If an employees contribution to the business is $8.50/hour, why should he be given $15.00 under force of law?

Demands involving the distribution of wealth, concern for the poor and human rights cannot be suppressed under the guise of creating a consensus on paper or a transient peace for a contented minority. The dignity of the human person and the common good rank higher than the comfort of those who refuse to renounce their privileges

“Privileges” like taking the risk of opening a business, sleepless nights, crushing taxes, and putting your personal savings into it?

Only to be ordered to pay vastly more than you can afford so local politicians can buy votes (on your dollar of course; God forbid their income be touched)?

Since we’re all apparently supposed operate our businesses at no profit to ourselves sicne we deserve no compensation whatsoever for our efforts you’ve convinced me to no longer tithe; why does my parish need the “privilege” of electricity, a roof over the priests head, or health-care for its employees?

It’s all just “comfort” right?

:confused:

Higher minimum wage has been mathematically proven to increase unemployment.

They are just asking for enough to live on. Making $15. hour does not make someone rich, but will make it possible for them to pay their bills, after all, that is why we all go to work.

Im glad this passed, and hopefully more cities get this on their ballots too.

Actually the economic evidence is more mixed. A higher minimum wage can increase unemployment, but it doesn’t always increase unemployment.

Or one could you know, live within their means.

The other thing is McDonalds is not a career. If you are a 35 year old burger flipper you have serious underlying personal issues a mandated raise is not gonna help.

Well, how are they supposed to live within their means making $7.25 hour? The last time I looked, even the cheapest apartments, in the worst part of town were around $500-650. month, making minimum wage, and assuming they work around 30-35 hours week, they would barely be making enough to pay their rent, and utilities, so how are they supposed to do that?Plus Im referring to single people with no children, add a kid to the equation, and minimum wage would not even come close to covering the bare essentials.

Also, the last time I went to McDonalds or a similar place, I did not see many younger kids or retirees working, it seemed to be mostly people in their mid 20s thru early 40s, so it appears we have alot of these people who are working here as a career, it may not be a real career, but there are plenty working jobs like this.

There must be some reason they are working a job like this and not finding better jobs.

Room-mates are the traditional way to defray living expenses and are ideal for those single childless people.

Also, the last time I went to McDonalds or a similar place, I did not see many younger kids or retirees working, it seemed to be mostly people in their mid 20s thru early 40s, so it appears we have alot of these people who are working here as a career, it may not be a real career, but there are plenty working jobs like this.

Likely college students $55,000 in debt for their bachelors degree in 18th century feminist critical thinking with the minor in Japanese floral arrangement.

There must be some reason they are working a job like this and not finding better jobs.

And they’re not the problem of their boss.

It think what they are doing here is setting a minimum standard for quality of life. I’m always saddened when people try to denigrate lower wage earners. If we look to what the Holy Father has said. WE see that the top earners should not cling to their luxuries at the expense of the workers in the lower wage range. This talks directly I believe to the disproportionate gape between the top, and the bottom earners. One poster, while attacking this value attached to pay. Actually attached his own value.:rolleyes:

Bottom line, if you want your workers to live in your community, and contribute to the public, and private coffers. You have to pay them enough to do so.

ATB

So an 18 year old burger flipper needs to make $15/hr?

Ishii

Minimum wage jobs weren’t meant to provide enough to live on. To make enough to live on you need to learn a marketable skill that will pay you more. This country provides a free education from kindergarten to 12th grade. It also has a huge network of vocational tech colleges, community colleges that are accessible and relatively cheap to attend. I mean, do you want to keep people unskilled and miserable by paying them more to flip burgers? Or do you really want them to improve their situation? Btw, how do you know what bills someone making minimum wage has?

I dont know what bills they may have, all I know is what rent prices are in and around this general area and the absolute cheapest rent is around $500-600. month.Once you add in utilities, a very basic, cheap apartment suddenly averages around $800-1000. month, and Im not talking about luxuries, like cable tv, internet, etc. Im only referring to the absolute basics, heat, elec, gas.

No one is forced to further their education, and there are plenty of jobs available that do not require any skills, like burger flipping, but if these people are working there and it is full time for the most part, then they absolutely deserve to be paid enough to afford the most basic apartment rent,utilities, food, etc. Its not that they are asking to live in swanky places, or wanting enough to drive around in new cars. I make a bit more than $15 hour, (but not much more) and I am not wealthy or rich to any degree, so its not that much money, Plus, even though I make around that amount, in no way would I feel I suddenly deserve more money if they were to get a raise up to $15. i am quite content with what I make, for the work that I do, I think it is more than fair.

Plus all these burger joints are busy non stop, all day, every day, so it is clear they are making some good profits, its not going to hurt them if they have to pay out a bit more for labor, after all, the employees at these places are what keep the business going! IMO, its worth it, just to keep employee moral up, if you have pissed off employees, they probably will not be too friendly with the customers LOL

ishii :rolleyes: You have a delusional view of our country.

ATB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.