Second Largest Religion in New Zealand is...

Over 53,000 people listed themselves as Jedi in New Zealand. New Zealand has the highest per capita population of reported Jedi in the world, with 1.5% marking “Jedi” as their religion on the census…[If] Jedi were counted it would be the second largest religion in New Zealand.

The Jedi census phenomenon was a grassroots movement in 2001 for citizens in a few English-speaking countries to record their religion as “Jedi” or “Jedi Knight” (after the fictitious quasi-religious order of Force-attuned knights in the Star Wars films)

They watched too much Star Wars. :smiley:

Heresy!:bigyikes: You can never watch too much Star Wars!:smiley:

Oh well, if you’re not going to count the Christian denominations separately … :whistle:

By “religion”, they’re talking “Christianity”, “Buddhism”…things like that.

‘Christianity’ one religion? You must be joking! I’m closer to being Jedi than I am to being Mormon or JW!

I love the Star Wars, but turning some of it to be a religions is so much like those from Tom Cruise religion, Scientology.

It is just a jokey sort of thing.

A few years ago we had a political party on voting papers called The McGillycuddy Serious Party. They advocated all sorts of weird things, like scrapping petrol vehicles and bringing in elephants for transportation.

Most people who voted for them (myself included) did so as a sort of protest against the policies of the two main parties.

I would define watching “too much Star Wars” as watching more than episodes IV, V and the first half of VI. :stuck_out_tongue:

tee

What are you folks talking about? I don’t understand it at all.
So what is the main religion of NZ. In fact they are a diverse country with different culture just like mine, so?? what is the conclusion?

I favor a return to horses, myself.

The main religion is Christianity. The religion second in popularity is, according to census records, Jediism.

Protesant or Catholic??

[quote=Wikipedia]According to the 2006 census, Christianity is the predominant religion, held by 53% of the population. Around 32% identified that they were ‘non-religious’ and 5% were affiliated with other religions, while 13% objected to answering or did not provide usable information. The main Christian denominations are Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism, Presbyterianism and Methodism. There are also significant numbers who identify themselves with Pentecostal and Baptist churches and with the LDS (Mormon) church. The New Zealand-based Ratana church has adherents among Māori. According to census figures, other significant minority religions include Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. Religion does not play a major role in New Zealand public life. Overtly Christian-based political parties such as Christian Heritage and Destiny have been unsuccessful, and the religion (or lack of religion) of political leaders - while generally known - is considered by most to be a private matter. Although faith-based lobby groups exist, political parties have recently been hindered more than helped by their support.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.