Second reception of Holy Communion vs. consuming remaining hosts

Hi, sometimes after morning Mass I go to an elder home to lead a Liturgy of the Word with Holy Communion service if our priest is busy. Having received at Mass I don’t receive during the service but distribute to those attending who wish to receive. On other occasions I accompany our priest to serve at Mass, and receive communion since it is a second Mass. Afterwards, if the priest has business elsewhere he and I consume the remaining hosts. After leading a Word and Communion service I have always returned immediately to church to replace any unconsumed hosts in the Tabernacle. Does anyone know whether it would be permissible for me to consume a few remaining hosts in case I have a small errand to do, or should I simply return to church with the remaining hosts? Thanks for any guidance,

You should return them to the church if that’s possible and practical.

If not, you can consume them. This is not considered “receiving” an additional time.

We have been taught to immediately return them to the tabernacle at the church. So unless it is an emergency, you are doing well to continue what you are doing.

I will be doing my first Liturgy of the Word with Holy Communion at a nursing home on Wednesday. Please pray that it goes well.

Hi, I will keep you in my prayers, especially tomorrow morning.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.